Chapter 40

Kian came home on the day that he said he would, but Ellen was still asleep. He didn’t know that she had gone out, got drunk and almost had a one night stand, although Shane was sure that she wouldn’t remember either. Ellen awoke to the sound of Kian shutting the front door, a sound that she was too familiar of. She raised her head, and letting out a deep sigh, wrapped the pillow around her head, trying to block out the pain that had enslaved her head.

Kian came up the stairs and knocked on the door.

“Hey baby, I’m home”

“What time is it?”

“Six o’clock, I’m sorry if I woke you”

“Don’t be, I missed you, come here” Ellen sat up in the bed and as Kian sat next to her, she grabbed him in a hug and kissed his lips so tenderly that Kian didn’t want to pull away.

“What was that for?” Kian pulled away finally and looked confused; it was a cute look, like a lost puppy.

“It was an apology”

“Why, what have you done?” His voice turned stern, and Ellen was a little scared of how he was going to react about her going out for the night, which was all she could remember.

“I went out like you told me not to”

“Oh, I thought you were going to say that you had an affair or something” That little word clicked in Ellen’s head, and the cogs in her brain were working overtime.

“Why would you think that?”

“Because Shane phoned me and told me what happened last night”

“What did he tell you?”

“That some guy was flirting with you and you were too drunk to give a damn, so Shane did your job and smacked him one”

“Wow, I don’t actually remember that, am I an irresponsible parent, a bad mother?”

“No, you just needed a break, and you had one”

“I want my kids back now”

“Well tough, it’s just turned Sunday, so my mum still has them until this afternoon, and she would have called if anything was wrong”

“what are you doing today, any more work?”

“No, I am spending my day completely with you, like we used to. Well almost”

“What do you mean almost?”

“Mark is recording for his solo album, and he asked us if we wanted to go to the recording studio to check out some of his material, what do you think?”

“Oh my God that would be amazing, I love you”

“I love you too”

“I didn’t get that impression last night on the phone, I said ‘I love you’ and you said ‘yeah okay bye’”

“I’m sorry, my co-workers would have ripped it out of me if I had gone all soppy in front of them”

“Are these the young , single carefree girls at your work”

“Ooh, someone’s a little jealous”

“Maybe”

“I only have eyes for you” He leant in for a kiss and Ellen tried to resist, she tried to make herself seem annoyed, but he was so good at winning her over, it took a pout of those soft lips and she was his for the taking. He kissed her and she wrapped her arms around his neck and he lifted her onto his lap, soaking up the love she was giving him. It took a knock at the door to separate them, which they were not happy about.