Chapter 34

One year later…

It had been a whole year since that holiday, but that didn’t stop Ellen from reminiscing about it. She was still happily married to Kian, and with Koa as well she almost felt complete… almost. There was something in her heart which was concealing itself from her, something hidden deep within her, and Ellen soon discovered what it was, it was the diner. Since her ‘new’ life, she hadn’t really thought about it, until now. She sat there in bed, thinking about all of the memories she made with that place, all of the good times with her employees, who were more like family anyway.

She reminisced about the time when Westlife first came into her life fully, that day in the diner, and to think, she was now friends with those people, she was occasionally the baby-sitter to those children she had served, and life should be perfect, but it wasn’t. She knew it was selfish, but she wanted a little bit more, she had it all; the husband, the child, the money, but she really wanted her diner back. She hadn’t seen the remnants since she moved away, and it tore at her heart.

Then she came up with a plan. Emma wanted her to come over to England, but it was during school time, so they wouldn’t have been able to go. But Kian had been away on business, and he said that it was her turn for a break. She could go on her own and stay with Emma and Olly, and baby Ellen of course. She told her plan to Kian, but leaving the diner part out, and he said that it was a great idea. She booked her ticket and packed her suitcase. She was almost out of the door when she was pulled back into a long hug. She pulled away after a couple of minutes and kissed Kian goodbye, but he wasn’t in a rush. He wouldn’t stop kissing her until she pushed him away. She kissed Koa on the forehead and waved goodbye from the taxi that was taking her to the airport. It was Saturday, so the roads were busier, hence the reason she left earlier.

She checked her bags in and sat in the waiting room. Her phone bleeped to tell her she had a message and she pulled out her phone. She tapped a few buttons and a message from Kian popped up:

Missing you already Xx

So Ellen replied:

Miss you too, now go and enjoy your time away from me, because it won’t be for long, I’ll be back, Love you X

And Kian replied:

 I Love you more Xx

Ellen sent in reply:

I bet you don’t, oops I’m gonna be late for my flight. See you when I get back X

There was no reply that time, so Ellen hurried off to board her plane. She was buzzing with excitement. She arrived in England and caught a taxi to Emma’s house. Emma was waiting by the window when the taxi pulled up and she ran out and grabbed her friend. Ellen paid the driver and Olly picked up her bags. She only had a small suitcase, so it was light. Olly placed it in the hallway and Emma dragged Ellen through to the living room.

“So how are you Ellen?”

“I’m great thanks, and you?”

“Couldn’t be better, Olly and I are just perfect”

“Good, do you mind if I pop out for a bit, I wanted to drop in on Adam?”

“Sure, you can borrow the car” Emma tossed the keys at Ellen who caught them one handed. She smiled at Olly as she left and waved from the driver’s seat in the car.

She reversed out of the drive and drove down the road, towards ‘Adam’. But she wasn’t going to Adam’s; she was going to the diner. She pulled up on the side of the road near the diner and walked down the pavement. It was exactly how she remembered the walk, and she looked forward to seeing the remains of her diner, but it wasn’t there. She peeked round the corner and was shocked to find a Chinese takeaway. It was disgusting. It smelt of grease and sick. The man inside was fat and had sweat pouring down his face, and into the food. Ellen put her hand over her mouth to hold back the vomit.

She ran down the road and sat in the car. She had made a huge mistake. She should never have come here; she should never have come here. She was still recovering from the traumatic events of the fire. She shouldn’t have come here. She pulled out her phone and called Kian. He wasn’t picking up, so she tried again. He finally picked up and Ellen told him everything that had just happened in the same detail as her mind had registered it. He told her to calm down, and he managed to calm her down, and she suddenly felt very drained. She said goodnight to Kian, and then to Koa, and drove back to Emma’s.

She placed the car keys on the kitchen unit and made her way to her bedroom. She collapsed on the bed and wiped a tear from her eye. She took the picture of Kian and Koa in her hands and held it tightly to her chest. She fell asleep in much the same position, with the picture face down, as if she was hugging them in real life.