Chapter 28

Ellen had become so used to Koa being in the house with her, but now it was time for him to start learning, it was time for him to go to nursery for the first time. Ellen was a little nervous for Koa, and she hoped that he didn’t get hurt. Kian wasn’t as nervous as Ellen, but she was scared for her little boy, she didn’t want him to get bullied because of the very public complication between the couple and Koa’s birth mother, Jodi. But she didn’t need to worry, she was out of their lives for good, she hoped. Anyway, Kian wouldn’t let something happen to Koa.

They both took Koa in the car to the nursery down the road. Kian drove, Ellen was too nervous to focus on the road. They pulled up in the car park and Kian and Ellen walked Koa into the small building that occupied the young children. Koa was holding his mum and his dad’s hands, happily aware that he would be meeting new people. Kian picked up his son and held him toward Ellen as she gave him a kiss on the forehead, and Kian hugged Koa and told him to have a good time. Koa ran over to the other children as Kian put him down and was instantly swallowed by the crowd.

Ellen and Kian were approached by the nursery teacher, and were assured that Koa would be looked after. They said goodbye to their son and the teacher and walked away back to the car hand in hand. They sat in the car and Ellen sighed and wiped the tears from her eyes.

“What’s the matter?” Kian broke the silence.

“Time has gone so quickly, I thought that he would be at home for a lot longer yet”

“He will be home in a few hours, so what should we do in the meantime?” He kissed Ellen on the lips and started the engine with a turn of the key. They drove home and sat in front of the TV, flicking through the channels for something to watch. They ended up watching part of the film ‘Dirty Dancing’ and they cuddled up on the sofa. Once the film had finished, Ellen pulled up her laptop and started typing things into a search engine. Kian looked confused and leant over to loot at the laptop screen.

“What are you doing?”

“I am looking for something to do”

“What do you mean?”

“Kian, you can just go and meet the lads, or write songs or something, I am not that talented, I am looking for a job”

“But we don’t need money if that’s what you’re worried about”

“No, I don’t care about the money, but now Koa is growing up, I am going to need something to do, and a job suits me down to the ground”

“What are you thinking of doing?”

“I have no clue, there is nothing on here” Ellen shut the laptop lid down and sat back on the sofa. Kian leant over and kissed her on the lips. Ellen closed her eyes and pulled Kian in closer to her, his strong hands wrapped round her waist as they kissed passionately.

They were about to go further when there was a knock at the door. Ellen laughed as Kian pulled an annoyed look and climbed off the sofa to answer the door. Ellen composed herself and looked up to see Shane, Nicky and Mark walk into the living room.

“I hope we weren’t disturbing you two” Shane spoke first

“Of course not, we were just watching a film” Ellen replied. They all sat down on the sofa and Kian came in and there were no seats left. Ellen stood up and offered to go and make a cup of tea or coffee for them all. Kian sat in Ellen’s seat and the boys all started chatting. She came back with a tray of hot drinks and placed the on the coffee table. She handed them their drinks individually and Kian put his back on the table and grabbed Ellen and pulled her onto his lap. They continued talking and were about to discuss some sort of business when ‘Uptown Girl’ started to play. They all looked confused until Ellen pulled her phone out of her pocket and answered. She climbed off of Kian’s lap and took the call in another room.