Chapter 17

Ellen went to visit Emma and Olly, and it was the first time she had seen them since their wedding day. She knocked on their door (They now owned a house together and had moved in recently) and waited patiently. Ellen didn’t know whether Emma noticed Kian kissing her on the day of the wedding, and they needed to have a catch up anyway. There was no answer at the door, but there were cars on the driveway. Ellen knew that they wouldn’t be asleep, and she knew that they wouldn’t fall out.

 She knocked again and finally someone came to the door. Emma opened the door and hugged her friend. She was dressed in her usual attire, jeans and a hooded jumper. Ellen was invited in and hugged Olly as well, that was until Emma got jealous and pushed Ellen out of the way. Ellen was given the grand tour of the house, even though she had seen it before, even though it hadn’t been decorated back then.

 Emma and Olly were very happy in their new home, and enjoyed each other’s company, in more ways than it is safe to mention. Ellen sat on their sofa and was handed a cup of tea by Olly.

“I see you have him house trained then Emma”

“Of course, would you expect any less of me?”

“No I guess not, so how is married life?”

“Brilliant!” They spoke at the same time, and it made Ellen jump a little. They all started laughing before Olly announced his departure for work. Officially Olly was Oliver Murs PHD, but nobody actually called him that, unless they were people who had never met him before. He kissed Emma passionately before he left, and hugged Ellen goodbye. Emma was sad to see him go, but at least she had Ellen for company.

 “You have a real keeper there” Ellen spoke genuinely and Emma smiled softly and relaxed a little.

“So do you, from what I hear”

“What do you hear then?”

“Well, a little birdie told me that you and Kian are an ‘item’ now”

“Well give that little birdie a gold medal”

“So it’s true then, you are together now?”

“Well, you should have seen the way he kissed me when he left my house the other morning”

“He stayed the night?”

“Yes, but not in the way you are thinking”

“Why not in the way that I am thinking?”

“Koa stayed as well”

“Where did he sleep then?”

“In a cot that I found in my spare room”

“Where did you sleep then?”

“Kian and I didn’t sleep together, we fell asleep after watching some TV on the sofa, until Koa woke us up, but then he went back to sleep eventually and we fell asleep again”

“So Kian’s a real romantic then” Ellen could see the sarcasm drip from Emma’s words as she spoke.

“He was on your wedding day, remember?”

“True, he sees something in you, I don’t know what, but he sees something”

“Ha ha very funny, what he sees is love”

“How do you know?”

“He told me he loved me, and you could tell by the look in his eyes that he meant it”

“Really, he said that?”

“Why do you sound so surprised?”

“Because he is rich, famous and gorgeous, so why did he ‘fall in love’ with someone who well, isn’t”

“Sometimes you can’t control who you fall in love with Emma, and that is the way it is I’m afraid”

“I’m sorry for being so insensitive, but I am trying to help you face up to the facts.”

“The fact is that he says he loves me, and I believe him”

“I am glad that he makes you happy”

“Are you really?”

“Truly I am, I hope you are as happy as Olly and I” Emma sounded sincere enough, and Ellen found it difficult to stay mad at her best friend, it’s not her fault she is useless at giving help to Ellen.

 Ellen left after three cups of tea and a few dozen biscuits. She made her way home and unfortunately the road was clogged up with traffic, so she went the long way round, which brought her past the diner’s ruins. Every time she passed by she had to visit. She pulled up into the parking space and watched the mound of rubble. She went into a daydream, and didn’t realise that a car had pulled up behind her. Kian took hold of her hand and snapped Ellen out of her dream. She turned to face him and he kissed her on the lips.

 Just knowing that he was there comforted Ellen, and for the first time, she managed not to cry at the view of her crumbled business. The insurance payout had come through, but it wasn’t enough to build the business back up again. Ellen sighed as Kian pulled her in close to him and she hugged him tightly.

 Kian took Ellen out for a meal that evening, but it turned out that it was a Westlife meeting. It was a sort of farewell get together, with all of the guys and their families, minus the kids, and everyone who had been involved with Westlife from the start. Ellen was told to wear an evening dress if she owned one, and Kian would be picking her up in his Ferrari so they can arrive in style.

 It was nearly 7pm, the time that Kian would arrive to pick Ellen up. She was dressed in a purple silk dress that flowed around her curves and matching high heels. She sat patiently waiting for the knock at the door. Sure enough it came a couple of minutes after 7pm, and Kian was dressed in a smart suit. He stared in wonder at Ellen as she did a 360 degree turn to show him her outfit. He grabbed her around the waist and kissed her on the lips gently. She smiled and returned his affectionate kisses, placing her arms around his neck. They walked out of the building hand in hand and Kian held the car door for her as Ellen climbed in. They soon made it to their destination which was in London, and parked the car in a designated location. Kian gripped Ellen’s hand tightly as they walked in and relaxed a little once he saw that all the others were there.

 He went over and said hello to the three guys and Ellen walked over to talk to their wives. She wasn’t sure whether she would be welcome, so she acted natural and aimed to please. But she didn’t need to. They welcomed her with open arms and quickly got into gripping conversation. Kian snuck up behind her and grabbed her around the waist, kissing her on the cheek. She placed her hands on top of his as he rocked her from side to side.

 Kian informed her that he would be singing with the lads on the stage in a few minutes, to welcome all of the guests. She kissed him on the cheek as he left, and he hugged her temporarily goodbye. He jumped on stage with so much enthusiasm and they all began to sing to the tune that was being played by the live band. The first song was their first ever single “Swear It Again” and Ellen smiled infinitely throughout. After a couple of songs, and a couple of conversations, Westlife invited Ellen to sing with them on stage. She hesitated but agreed. They sung The Rose with her and she loved every minute. Ellen had never been so happy in all her life. She had been accepted by Westlife, their family and most of all, her dream of falling in love with Kian Egan had come true. In fact, the happiness was all too much for her and she ran into the girls’ bathroom, and threw up into the toilet. She felt better afterwards, or so she thought. She didn’t realise that she had coughed up blood until it was too late, and she felt herself fade away from consciousness once again, she only hoped that someone would find her soon. Whilst in her unconscious state of mind, her body fought with the cause of the problem until it was too tired to continue. Her body’s defence system could not work any harder to keep her limp body alive.