Chapter 13

Kian had given her a lift home once she had calmed down. She was silent in the car, and Kian joined her in complete calm. He was afraid that he would say something wrong, so he didn’t speak at all. He pulled up at the block of flats Ellen called home. He walked her up to her flat; still in silence, and followed her through the door. Ellen put the kettle on and asked Kian if he wanted a drink. He thanked her and sat down on her sofa. She brought his drink over and placed it on a coaster on the coffee table. She trudged back over to the kitchen, opened the fridge, and plonked down in her arm chair with a bottle of vodka in her hand.

 Kian stared in amazement as she unscrewed the top, and started gulping down the drink, not stopping for breath. When she did stop for a moment, Kian took his opportunity and spoke for the first time in what seemed like hours.

“It’s a lovely place you’ve got here”

“Thanks” Ellen replied in a slurred voice.

“I know you probably don’t want me to talk, in fact, you probably want me to leave you in peace, but I need to apologise. I am so sorry for my unruly behaviour earlier, I didn’t understand the extent of what you were going through and I should have been more aware. Can you forgive me?”

“Yeah, if you can forgive me for getting upset over a stupid building”
“I have no need to forgive you, it is only natural what you are going through, your life revolved around that business, and I respect the fact that you are finding it tough. That diner was beautiful, and when you said about the fire and how the flames towered above you, the smoke billowing out of the door, I admired how well you were coping.”

“I never told you about the fire” Ellen seemed to sober up once Kian make that comment.

“Shane told me”

“I never told anyone about flames towering above me, or anything about the smoke, I was unconscious, and how could I remember things like that if I was unconscious?”

“You must have told Shane or Kevin perhaps”

“I never went into that much detail to anyone, not even the Police”

“Ahhh”

“You know something about that night don’t you?”

“No, I don’t I wasn’t there, how could I know”

“Kevin said that he knew who did it, but he wouldn’t tell me, you know too don’t you?”

“Okay, yes I know who saved you”

“Tell me” The anger in Ellen’s voice hit an unimaginable level, Kian genuinely looked scared.

“I can’t, I’m sorry”

“You will be sorry in a minute if you don’t tell me”
“I can’t” The repetition of that line made it almost impossible for Ellen to resist hitting him. Ellen took another long gulp of vodka and Kian snatched the bottle away from her.

“Why did you do that?”
“Because getting bladdered isn’t going to help the situation is it?”

“It might”

“No it won’t” Kian took a swig from the bottle and then put the bottle in the bin. He sat back down and he sighed and stared at Ellen. His head almost hit the roof when Ellen pounced on him, pushing him off of the sofa, causing him to hit his head on the floor. She grabbed Kian’s empty mug and held it above her head, as if she was going to smash it on his head. Kian flinched before telling her he will tell her if she gets off of him. Ellen considered her options and climbed off of him, before holding a hand out for him to grab. He sat back down on the sofa red faced, and Ellen joined him, sitting eagerly.

 “Tell me, please Kian”

“Can you put the mug down first?” Ellen placed the mug on the coffee table, out of arms reach.

“It was…me”

“You?”

“Yeah, don’t sound so surprised”

“You saved me, and you let me get upset and you didn’t tell me?”

“I saved your life, I didn’t burn the place down, so don’t take it out on me”

“I’m sorry, but it came as a bit of a shock. Why were you there?”

“After Kevin and the kids gave a description of your diner, I needed to see it. It was a bit lucky my curiosity got the better of me, otherwise you could be dead right now”

“I know, thank you, for saving me”

“You are welcome; I would happily risk my life for someone like you again”

“What do you mean, like me?”

“Beautiful, kind, talented, I don’t know a nicer person”

“You are so sweet, do you know that?”

“It has been mentioned once or twice” This time Ellen moved closer towards Kian, getting closer and closer until their lips almost touched. Suddenly, Kian moved away and Ellen looked disappointed.

“Oh my God, I have just made a complete fool out of myself haven’t I?”

“No, I want you to kiss me, but I know that you have had a drink, and you wouldn’t want this if you were sober”

“I am sober”

“You drank almost a whole bottle of vodka!”

“So?”

“I don’t want you doing something you will regret. I had better be getting back”

“I understand” Ellen moved towards the door, Kian following behind her closely.

Ellen opened the door and Kian stood in the doorway.

“Can I at least give you a kiss as thanks?”

“Well, it would be rude to say no” Ellen took that as her signal to lean in, and Kian leaned in simultaneously. They got closer and closer, Ellen felt Kian’s hand grab her waist, and he pulled her in tighter to him as their lips touched. Ellen put her hands around his neck and pushed their faces together. They stood in their romantic clinch for a few seconds, before both pulling away at the same time.

“Thank you for saving my life”

“Thank you for giving me the best kiss ever”

“You’re welcome” Kian stood away and started to walk down the corridor, Ellen leaned out the door and waved goodbye to him as he looked back. Once he had disappeared around the corner Ellen closed the door, and let out a little scream. She mouthed ‘oh my God’ and lay down on her sofa, head leaning against the arm rest. She remained there staring into space, wondering what would have happened if he hadn’t told her. She wouldn’t have hit him, she thought.