Chapter 36

A few of months after Ellen told Kian that she was pregnant it was starting to show. She was filling out and had to buy a new wardrobe. Kian was fussing, as Ellen predicted. He was helping her everywhere, he was driving her everywhere, and he insisted that she shouldn’t go to work, and she was only five months pregnant, she couldn’t imagine what he would be like after the baby was born. 

She had to get away for a while. She took her opportunity when Kian took Koa to school. She grabbed her car keys and drove away from the house, where Kian had left her. She parked up at the beach, which was a few miles away from where they lived. She had left Kian a note telling him that she had gone out for a while, only she didn’t tell him where, or why.

She sat on the beach and sighed. She missed the sound of the sea, and the coarse sand beneath her feet. She closed her eyes and leant back onto her shoulders. Sure enough, her phone went off, so she rolled her eyes and picked it up, assuming it was Kian, but it wasn’t. It was Emma.

“Hey Emma are you okay?”

“No, Olly and I just had another fight”

“What was it about now?”

“I just wanted him to clean the house whilst I was clothes shopping”

“Well what do you expect, you can’t expect him to do everything”

“Whose side are you on?”

“His, because he loves you, and you are treating him like dirt, ohh”

“What’s the matter?”

“Nothing, the baby’s kicking that’s all”

“Wow, I wish I could feel it”

“You felt your own baby kicking”

“It’s weird isn’t it?”

“Yeah, anyway we are drawing away from the point; you have to be nice to him, otherwise you can say your marriage is as good as over”

“Don’t say that, I love him”

“Then maybe you should show him that once in a while.”

“Fine, have to go, I’ll see you later”

“See ya”

Ellen rolled her eyes and hoped that she and Kian didn’t end up like that. She put her phone in her pocket and looked out at the sea. She climbed up with great difficulty and crept towards the water. She dipped her toes in the sea and walked along the shore.  Ellen was there for a few hours, and actually started to wonder if Kian had noticed that she had gone, she had even started to miss his annoying clinginess. She was about to go back when her foot sunk into the sand deeper than she expected and she fell forward, and straight onto her stomach. She let out a scream but it was no use, she was completely alone on the beach.

She pulled out her phone and called Kian. He wasn’t picking up… oh wait yes he did, finally.

“Ellen, where the hell are you”

“I’m at the beach; I need your help”

“What have you done?”

“I fell over, on my stomach, Kian it really hurts”

“I’m on my way, I’ll phone for an ambulance”

“Okay, hurry” Ellen was crying her eyes out, it was a wonder that Kian understood her. Sure enough, the ambulance beat Kian to the beach and she was placed on a stretcher. They were about to pull away when Ellen heard Kian’s car pull up. She screamed:

“Wait!” Kian ran up to the ambulance just as they were about to close the doors and he had started to cry.

“Ellen, are you okay?”

“Kian, I’m fine, I am so sorry”

“You have no need to be sorry, let’s just get you to the hospital.” Kian climbed into the ambulance and they drove to the hospital.

The journey seemed to take forever, but that was probably because Kian and Ellen were both so nervous. Ellen had stopped crying and instead had her eyes wide with fear and her heart filled with pain. She felt like she was wearing her heart on her sleeve, and it was being battered until she had trouble breathing. Kian held her hand tightly and looked into her eyes, and nothing was breaking his gaze. They reached the hospital and Ellen was taken away for tests, whilst Kian was made to sit in the waiting room, eyes darting to each doorway in the room for a sign about how Ellen was.

The nurse called him into a ward where Ellen was crying after what seemed like hours. His heart sunk and he thought the worst. He sat on the bed where Ellen was laying and held her hand. She looked into his eyes as he placed a muscular hand on her cheek, and wiped the tears from her eyes.

“I’m okay” Ellen spoke, “We are both okay”

“What, the baby’s fine?”

“Yeah, it’s something just short of a miracle”

“Bloody hell, you had me worried for a minute there” the relief on his face was clear

“I love  you”

“I love you to, and I am not letting you out of my sight until that baby is out of you, do you hear me?”

“Yes boss, I am so glad that I have you, but why do you love me, why am I so special, and lucky?”

“The instant I saw you, I knew that I would marry you, and love you forever. You are special because you are unique and as for luck, I was lucky that I found you, otherwise I would be a single parent bringing up a little boy on my own, whilst my former band mates lived the stuff of dreams, but to me, now, my dream is greater than theirs”

“You soppy git”

“Don’t you know it”

At that point her phone went off, so she answered it, and what a surprise, it was Emma.

“Hey Emma how are things?”

“Why do you sound like you are crying?”

“Because I am, I almost lost the baby, I tripped, but we are both fine, no need to worry”

“How do you manage it?”

“How are you and Olly now?”

“Better than ever, you were right, you made me realise that he is my world, and I love that man, I am gonna hold on to him forever, I just went up to him and told him that I need him now, and he hugged me and then he had to go cos he was busy, so I told him that I would wait for him to finish at work and then we would tell the world about us, and I begged him, I said: Please don’t let me go, and he said, okay”

“Glad to hear it, listen I’m still in the hospital so I am gonna have to go, I’ll call you later”

“Okay, but don’t call tonight, me and Olly are having a night in!”

With that she hung up, just as the nurse came through the door telling them that they could go. They had to get a cab back to the beach, and they drove home in their separate cars, and Ellen picked Koa up from school on the way back. That day had gone by so quickly, and they decided that they weren’t going to tell Koa about the accident, they didn’t want him to get upset over nothing. They acted as though they had had a boring day, and then helped him with his homework before going to bed, where they could finally relax, until the next day that is.