Chapter Six

I hastily made my way up the steps of my front porch, feeling like I was going to throw up. I kept my eyes focused on the ground as I walked, feeling disgusted with not only myself, but with a lot of things. What were those things... I didn't really know... I was just mad. Mad at the world, I guess. I jammed my key into the lock, and pushed into my house, tossing my bag to the floor and slumping my back against the door with a sigh.

"Fuck." I muttered under my breath, looking around the empty living room. I picked my feet up, one by one, and walked into the kitchen to see my mom was in there, doing work at the table with her laptop. My heart insantly sank at the sight of her.

"Why are you here," I groaned, walking over to the fridge. I kinda wanted to be alone, which I thought I was going to be. "You're supposed to be at work."

"Brooke." My mother said sternly, turning around in her seat to look a me.

"What?" I snapped.

"I had no more appointments today, so I came home early." She replied calmly. "What, are you upset with that?"

"Well kinda," I said angrily. "Kinda wanted to be alone but whatever." I crossed my arms over my chest and raised my eyebrows at her, and waited for her to reply. She looked so confused at me, but I didn't really see why. I'm not doing anything wrong; I just don't want to be around anyone right now.

"Are you alright?" She asked softly, breaking the silence.

"What?" I replied, as if what she was asking me was absurd. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Well you don't seem like it," my mom pointed out. "Come on, talk to me."

"No." I said bluntly. I don't want to talk to this bitch. She probably hates me anyways.

Oh my god she doesn't hate you, I forced myself to think. She's your mother.

"Why not?" She asked me. I stepped forward and opened my mouth to speak, but all I could do was sigh. I didn't actually know why I couldn't talk to her...or why I was so angry. Well, I guess I had a pretty good idea, but it's not like she would understand. I'm tired, and I think 90% of my school thinks I'm a weirdo.

"I just..." my voice trailed off. "I had a bad day, okay?"

"I understand that," my mom replied slowly, pushing the chair across from her out with her foot. "But that's what I'm here for, right?"

"No." I said rather harshly, furrowing my eyebrows and looking to the floor, wanting to run upstairs.

"Well why not?" she persisted.

Because you're not Ashton.

"I dunno." I just shrugged and lied, and began to feel really uncomfortable. My eyes wandered around the room, looking at anything else but her gaze as she stared at me. She stared at me like everyone else did today; furrowed eyebrows, mouths slightly opened, faces wrinkled in utter confusion. Kinda like how Ashton was looking at me the whole time-

"Shit, he think's your a freak, too."

"Shut up!" I said loudly, pointing my attention to that stupd fucking voice that was obviously back. My mother shifted in her seat a little, obviously startled by my outburst.

"Fuck shit I'm so done-" I mumbled to myself, shaking my head and hurrying out of the room.

"Brooke?" My mother said, her voice raising in what sounded like worry. I heard her get up and follow me out, but I didn't want to talk to her. She's starting to annoy the shit out of me, and she probably won't even understand.