Chapter Eight

Warmth greeted me the next morning, causing my heavy eyelids to slowly open, yet they didn't hurt. I shifted my legs a little, and the softness of the sheets that wrapped around me made a tired smile form on my face. But, more importantly, there was the strong, soft, and warm arms that were tucked around me, keeping my front pressed to his. I opened my eyes again and looked up, to see the tanned skin of Ashton's neck and jawline. I scooted up a little bit more, so I could see his gently shut eyes, the blank expression on his unconscious face, and the way his mouth would slightly open everytime he exhaled.

I tried to bring my arm up to ruffle his hair a little bit, but both my arms seemed to be glued to my sides. Ashton had me wrapped up beside him, and his muscles' grip on me was pretty tight. I wiggled around a little bit, but Ashton didn't budge. I don't see how he could, since he's asleep. I sighed, but smiled to myself. I shut my eyes again, and relaxed my muscles, nuzzling my face into Ashton's chest. I wondered what time it was, because it seemed pretty fucking late by now. I know it was thursday, and that school probably started at least a couple hours ago, but I couldn't care less right now. I don't think missing one day of school could do much harm to me, consdering I don't think I've missed a day of school since I've moved here.

My thoughts were interrupted as I felt Ashton's body shift beside me, his arms going around me tighter. I tried to loosen his grip, but it wouldn't budge. "Ashton." I whispered, yet my voice still cracked. There was no answer, just his heavy breathing that indicated that he was still asleep.

"Ashton," I said a little louder.

"Mm...?" He said quietly. Maybe a second later his grip instantly loosened, and the bed shook as he sat up, his hands grabbing my forearms. He looked down at me with his tired eyes wide, with his mouth open. "Are you okay?" he asked quickly.

"Yes...?" I replied, sitting up. I looked at him, confusion coming over me. He tilted his head to the side and narrowed his eyes a little, but he didn't say anything.

"Are you sure?" his tone was quieter.

"Yes!" I exclaimed. "Are you? That was quite a wake up."

"Me?" he asked, leaning back on his forearms. "Yeah, of course."

"Okay," I said, laying down next to him. "Just making sure."

"Yeah..." Ashton's voice trailed off as his eyes traveled up and down me. "So was...so was I."

"Thanks..." my voice trailed off as well. There was a look in eyes, and it looked like that typical look of worry he always has. "...Anything wrong?"

"No," he said quickly. "I'm just, uh...I don't know."

"Huh?" I asked. Ashton just raised his eyebrows and his gaze wandered around the room. He shrugged, but I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Ashton," I said. "I'm not stupid either, you know."

"I know you're not." Ashton said softly.

"Then speak," I replied, laying my head aganst the pillow and looking over to him. Ashton stayed quiet for a little, opening his mouth to talk, but closing it again when no words came out.

"Do you remember like..." Ashton's voice trailed off. "Maybe around two in the morning?"

"No...?" I narrowed my eyes at him, hoping he would elaborate. I was confused, and starting to grow a little worried, because I had no idea as to what he was talking about.

"Oh," Ashton said lightly, nodding his head slowly.

"Why? What happened?" I asked.

"Brooke, I-" Ashton interrupted himself with a sigh, before scooting closer to me, and running his hands through my hair and down my back. "There's nothing wrong with you."