Chapter Forty Three

AN: MAJOR FILLER ALERT WEEEOOO WEEWOOO WEEWOOO but I'm gonna update again real soon (hopefully) :D

-

I walked up the steps to school that Monday morning, fearing the same things that I usually fear. It feels like it's been ages since I could easily walk up to shool and be comfortable with it, but I guess it's just different now. I'm scared of people looking at me and staring at me, only to see the things that they assume about me and the things that aren't true. Apparently, from what Luke has told me, the words spread around about me have only increased since my fight with Michael. I don't know what I did; I didn't mean to do anything to upset all the people I don't even know. I try not to pay attention to it, but I still always have that burning feeling on the back of my neck that every pair of eyes in the world are staring me down and waiting for me to fail.

My first instinct was to look for Brooke, since I haven't seen or even made any contact with her since Friday night. I tried to text her a few times, but she never replied. That's alright, though.

I stood in the middle of the courtyard, with a sea of other arriving students surrounding me. That's another thing; I always just feel so surrounded and cramped when I'm around all these people. I feel like its like we're all trapped inside of a box; but my own box is my own thoughts.

"Ashton." I perked my hearing up to the sound of a voice calling out to me. I instantly knew who it was, but I wasn't going to be rude enough to just walk away and pretend I didn't hear her. I spun around to see none other than Jessie, quickly making her way over here. She looked how she usually does now a days, with ordinary clothes on and just a little bit of make up on her face. It's a huge step from how she used to dress, and I personally think it looks prettier on her that way.

"H-hi," I stuttered. I still don't like her at all, but at least she's not being extremely mean to me anymore. I can't remember the last time she said I ruined her life, so thats definitely an improvement.

"Hey." she huffed, swinging her backpack to the side of her body to dig through the fromt pocket. I stood where I was, nervously swaying back and fourth on my heels. I didn't want to be around her right now, but she looked rather flustered and tired and in need of something. I wondered what she needed to talk to me about.

"Can you help me with the english homework? I didn't do any of it." she asked, pulling a crumpled up piece of paper out of her back pack. Half of me was a little saddened that she's still using me to help her with homework and stuff, but it's still better than what she used to use me for. She used to use me as a connection to get wasted, and I sadly used to let her.

"Oh," I said. "Sure." I took the paper from her and unfolded it. But, to my surprise, as my eyes scanned over it, I noticed how every single line was filled and question was answered. Actually, considering how neat the handwriting was, it looked to me like she had spent a lot of time on it. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, slowly glancing up at her. She stared back, and when her eyes flickered down to her work as well, they widened.

"Oh, U-um," she stuttered, snatching the paper back. "I'm sorry I...I didn't mean the english homework."

She began to chuckle at her self, hastily putting it away and rumaging through her back pack again. She seemed pretty uneasy and awkward, and I kind of felt the same way. She shook her head and avoided my gaze, continuing to laugh at herself as if to try and erase the embarassment. I can still remember that look she used to have whenever she would be abashed and uncomfortable, and it was easy to see it right now. "Silly me." she mumbled.

"I, uh..." Jessie said, pulling out a new piece of paper. "I mean the pre-calculus homework."

She held this new piece of paper out to me, and I grew even more confused. Also, I didn't even want to look at it. Calculus is terrifying to even look at.