Chapter 1 - Jumbled

"Peter, for crying out loud answer your phone! If the reason you're not answering isn't because you're dead, I'm going to kill you." I finished my message and hung up. It's been two days. I was worried and annoyed at the same time. With Peter you never know. For all I knew this was another drill. "Stiles! You ready?" I yelled from the kitchen.

"Yeah! I'm coming!" he yelled back.

10 minutes later he finally came down stairs and I shoved a piece of toast in his hand. "Oh, sweetie, maybe you should stay at home today. You look exhausted. Maybe if you slept a bit during the day you wouldn't get nightmares. A darkened room may be what's triggering it. That's one of the reasons kids have nightlights, you know."

"Anna, I think you're overreacting. We did die and come back to life. I think a nightmare or two is understandable, but I am open to any suggestions, however, I am not getting a nightlight. Refuse. Utterly refuse. And besides I slept fine the second half of the night."

"Yeah, that's because I was in the room. It's another mental thing, it goes along the same line as the nightlight. You felt safe because you weren't alone so you didn't have another nightmare. What are they about anyway? Durach?"

"No, they're complicated. It's like Inception. A dream within a dream. At first I was just asleep and then I woke up inside a locker at school, then I woke up in bed, but..."

"But?"

"Well, ummm, there was someone else there..." he said, rubbing the back of his neck and looking at the ground.

"Megan Fox?"

He let out a nervous chuckle. "Nope, hotter."

"Orlando Bloom?"

"More feminine."

"Zac Efron?"

"It's someone I actually know."

"Oh, sweetie, it's okay. If it was Scott, you can tell me." I said sarcastically.

"Oh for crying out loud Anna, it was you!" he snapped and then went wide eyed and headed for the door.

The only thing I could say was, "You think I'm hotter than Megan Fox?" He stopped and glared at me. "Sorry. Why are you being all shy and blushy? You're a guy, Stiles, it comes with the title... hang on... why was this a nightmare?"

"Because I figured out it wasn't real and then a walked into the closet and wound up in that creepy white room. Then I woke up again, went to school, spoke to Scott. Said something like 'I don't know if I'm awake or not,' and then I woke up screaming for real."

"Oh... wow... intense..."

"There's something else as well. Did you know that you can't read in dreams?"

"Yeah."

"You did? I thought I was meant to be the one filled with random facts."

"It's not random when your best friend is having nightmares every night after dying. I researched dreams and nightmares the other day. What about it?"

"Well..." he opened his car door and before getting in the driver's seat he said, "I can't read. The letters are a jumbled and I can't make sense of them."

Great.