Chapter 21 - Coincidences

“So… when did you get there?” Agent McCall was questioning us back at the station.

“Same time.” Stiles responded.

“Same time as who?”

“Same time as me.” Scott said.

“A coincidence?” McCall continued questioning

“What was a coincidence?” Stiles questioned.

McCall sighed, “Okay… just let me go over this again so we have it clear. Barrow was hiding in a closet at the school until someone left him a coded message on the blackboard telling him to kill Kira. And then Barrow took Kira to a power sub-station and tied her up with the intent of electrocuting her. Which blacked out the entire town.”

“Yep.” I said.

“Sounds about right.” Stiles muttered.

“How did you know to look at the power station?” McCall asked.

I looked at Stiles, “Well he was an electrical engineer so where else would he take her?” Stiles responded.

“That’s one hell of a deduction, Stiles.”

“Yeah, well what can I say? Take after my pops, he’s in law enforcement.” Stiles winked and pointed at his dad who was sitting in the back.

The Sheriff smiled, but said, “Stiles, just answer the man.”

“We made a good guess.” Stiles said, gesturing to Lydia and I who seemed to be irrelevant.

“And what were you two doing?” McCall asked Scott and Kira.

“Eating Pizza.” Scott said at the same time Kira said, “Eating Sushi.” They looked at each other and Scott then proceeded to say, “Eating Sushi,” at the same time Kira said, “Eating Pizza.” I shut my eyes and took a deep breath. “Eating Sushi and Pizza.” They both said at the same time.

“Do you believe this?” McCall asked the Sheriff.

“Honestly… I haven’t believed a word Stiles has said since he learnt how to speak, but I think that these kids found themselves in the right place at the right time and that girl sitting there is very lucky for it.” We all nodded along.

“Kira… is that how you remember it?” McCall asked.

We all looked at her, “Yes.” She responded. “Could I get my phone back now?”

“Sorry, but no.” McCall said as he stood up and ushered us out.

Kira left with a police officer who was to take her home and Agent McCall pulled Scott aside to talk. Stiles and I went out to our cars which the police had thankfully let us drive there with the Sheriff’s persuasion. Stiles and I looked at each other and just simply shrugged at the same time. He drove out first in his jeep and I followed him in my car back to his place. I was still staying there until the weekend even though my dad was at home. All of my stuff was there. When we got inside I went up to my room and pulled out my phone to ring Isaac. I didn’t think he was going to answer, but eventually he did.

“What took so long Lahey? And you can tell Allison to stop looking for things in the bestiary now. It’s all sorted… I think.”

“What happened?” He asked ignoring my first question. I filled him in briefly on everything that had happened. “So he’s dead?”

“Very. Like thousands of vaults of electricity dead. Vaults that Kira absorbed… through her hands.”

“That’s weird.”

“Yeah… oh well. That’s tomorrow’s problem. Are you okay? You sound a little down.”

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just tired.” He was lying. I could tell. By the sound of his voice he didn’t like lying to me, but he definitely was.

“Ah-huh.” I, however, was tired and figured I’d argue with him tomorrow. “Alright well get some sleep. I’ll see you at school tomorrow and don’t forget Danny’s Halloween party tomorrow night.”

“Never.” He said. Usually he would say it with a smirk in his voice, but this time it was emotionless.

“Are you sure you’re okay?”

“I’m fine, Anna, really. Get some sleep.” He said and hung up.

Well, someone was going to get spoken to tomorrow.

I collapsed on my bed, feeling like death, praying Stiles didn’t have any nightmares tonight and wake up screaming. Just one good sleep. That’s all I needed.

***

“Wake up!” I yelled as I shook him awake from his nightmare.

“Anna? I’m sorry. I keep waking you up. You look exhausted.” He said through deep gasps and I could see beads of sweat dripping down the sides of his face and his light grey singlet had dark wet patches on his back and chest.

“It’s okay.” I said as I lay down on the bed next to him. He wrapped his arms around me and I rested my head on his chest. “I don’t mind.” I muttered as I closed my eyes and yawned.

“It was that same dream.”

“Hmmm?”

“Well… memory, not a dream. Maybe we shouldn’t have done it.”

“Done what?”

“Killed them!” He yelled as he sprung up out of bed and looked down at me, lying on the bed now shocked. “Why did we? I don’t remember. It was your idea and when you said it I couldn’t disagree. Why couldn’t I disagree?!” He was yelling. Crap. Those damn dreams always brought him back to reality.

I stood up and took his hands in mine. He tried to grab them back, but I wouldn’t let him. “Peter…” I said in a silky smooth voice.

“I helped you kill my own nephew.”

“Peter.” I repeated and placed a hand on his cheek and smiled at him. “It was the right thing to do.” I never broke eye contact and I kept the smile on my face. “Don’t you remember?” I leant in and kissed him and when I pulled back I saw a small smile tugging on his lips.

“The right thing to do.” He repeated and kissed me.

Gotta love being a Nix.

***

I woke up screaming with Stiles shaking my shoulders and the Sheriff bursting into the room with his gun.

“Anna?” The Sheriff asked.

“It’s okay, it was just a dream.” I said with a shaky voice.

“Not you as well.” He said while Stiles said nothing.

“I’m okay, really. I think it’s just because of Barrow.”

The Sheriff scrunched his eyebrows at me, but let it go. “Well try and get some sleep.” He said and put his gun away before walking out.

Stiles didn’t say anything, he just crawled under the blankets. Apparently it was his turn to sleep on my bed so I didn’t wake up screaming again.

Sorry this took so long, bbut i'm finally up to the halloween ep :)