Chapter 37 - Tears, Torment, And Trust

“Peter?”

“Anna, if you've rung to say some smartass Nixed out comment it can wait till..."

"Peter... I-I..." The worlds weren't forming. I didn't know where to begin and even if I did my entire being seemed to be shutting down. My hands were still shaking as I pressed the phone to my ear and I had managed to cover myself in the blood that was on my hand. More sobs racked out from the back of my throat.

"Anna, is this you? Like the real you and not the homicidal..." Just at that word I cried even harder. "Whoa, okay, calm down what's wrong?"

"He's dead. Peter he's dead and... I..." More sobs prevented me from finishing.

"Where are you?"

***

He found me still leaning against the tree, staring at Jake, covered in blood. "Anna...?"

"I...I..."

"I know. It's okay. Come on." He pulled me up and I couldn't stop myself from crying into his chest. "We have to cover this up."

"Cover it up?"

"No one can know."

"But..."

"Anna. Listen to me. No one can know about this. You know how Scott and Derek and everyone else feel about me?"

"Yeah."

"Well what's to say they won't think any different of you? You can't tell them. And we certainly can't tell the Sheriff. You rang me for a reason and now I'm going to help you. We will make it look like an accident and give you an alibi."

"An accident!? Peter! I ripped out his heart!"

"Let me handle it. As far as anyone else is concerned I ran into you last night and managed to bring back you're humanity. You felt weak and tired after so you slept on my couch which is what you're going to do tonight so I can ring Derek to come pick you up in the morning."

"Why Derek?"

"Why would I ring Scott?" He had a point

"And how did you manage to bring back my humanity?" I asked, panicking through blurry, stinging eyes that still had tears pouring out of them. I doubt my voice even sounded human.

"I don't know. I made you think about happy things."

"What makes you so special? How did you of all people manage it and not Scott? Peter, they’ll know, I know they will and I’m covered in… in…" I couldn’t say. More tears fell and I sobbed again, my legs wanted to give way, but Peter caught me.

"Let's say I took you to your mother’s grave and it was all very emotional. Sound good?" I nodded. "Good. Now go back to my apartment and have a shower and wash your clothes. I’ll be there soon."

"But..."

"Anna, go. Trust me." I looked into his blue eyes and for some reason knew I could.

The occasional tear rolled down my cheeks as I made my way to Peter’s apartment. When I got inside I went straight to the shower. I had no idea what I was doing. Everything I did seemed like a reaction or reflex. The shower although relaxing didn't help much. I couldn't even find the energy to take my clothes off. I just stepped in.  As soon as the water started to pour over my head the tears started again and my legs couldn’t hold me up. I fell to the ground and brought my knees to my chest and the blood washed off me and onto the white bathtub and down the drain. I watched, still crying, as the bright crimson colour turned to a light pink and then became nothing but clear water.