Chapter 46 - There's Always Something Else

After school I went to Derek’s loft. I was honestly a little worried. No matter what happened he still would have made it to the funeral or come to see me before or after, but I hadn’t seen him since that day at his loft when we finally called it quits. I had rang Peter about it, but he also said he hadn’t heard from him. Yes Derek was the type to go away and not talk to anyone, but he wasn’t the type to not let anyone know he was going. Especially not after so many deaths.

Peter was going to meet me at the loft and I pulled up outside to see him standing out there. “Have you been inside yet?” I asked.

“No, I just got here. I’m sure he’s fine. Maybe he’s pining.”

“Not the type.” I shot back with a glare.

As we made our way up the stairs a thought came to my mind. Scott had told me that a banshee that was in Eichen House with Stiles called Meredith had helped them find where the Nogitsune and I were keeping Lydia. At first I didn’t think much of it, but then I remembered who Meredith was and what she had said to me.

I had asked everyone if they knew someone called Selene, but they all shook their heads and said no, telling me it was probably nothing. It was still bugging me though. If Meredith was a banshee then it probably didn’t mean nothing. If they didn’t know who Selene was then my only other people to ask were Derek and Peter.

“Do you know someone named Selene?” I asked him as I continued walking, but Peter stopped. I looked back at him a few stair below me as he looked up at me with confusion and… sorrow? Sadness? Heartbreak? I wasn’t sure. “Peter? You do, don’t you?” He shook his head. “Yes, you do. Who is she?”

“Where did you hear that name?”

“Meredith. The banshee at Eichen House. I went there when I was evil me, looking for evil Stiles and I ran into her. She said I reminded her of… no, that I was a lot like her. It took me a while to get a name, but she eventually said Selene. You know her, don’t you? Who is she?” I asked again.

“Knew. I knew her.” He corrected me. “Derek and I both did, in fact Cora as well, but I don’t know if she’d remember. My entire family knew her.”

“Was she another werewolf? Was she in your pack?” I asked, curiously.

“No, Anna. She wasn’t.” He said and kept walking faster than we were before.

“Then who was she?” I was being persistent. Something told me not to be and to let it go, but I couldn’t.

We reached the front door to the loft and Peter turned to me. “She was a hunter.” He said before sliding the big heavy door across. I knew that was all I would get from him at the moment, but I could settle with it for now.

I entered the loft and immediately got a bad feeling. There were bad vibes all over the place and I could smell old smoke. Getting a closer look I saw little silver things scattered all over the floor. I walked down the stairs to bend down and pick one up. I saw it was a bullet shell with a skull engraved on it. I turned it around in my hand just as Peter made his way down the stairs after me.

“Where is he?” I asked worried, not looking up from the shell.

“That mark… it’s the mark of the Calaveras.” He said as he took it from my hands. “The hunters that had Derek and I tied down when we were looking for Talia’s claws.”

“You mean the ones that cut off your finger.” I stated as I looked up to see him nod once. “Why did they take him?”

“Same reason they were torturing us weeks ago, I assume.”

“Because you broke in and tried to steal from them?”

“No. They thought we knew where a certain She-Wolf was.”

“Cora?” I asked confused.

“I guess, they never said any names, but they seemed determined.”

“So now they’ve taken Derek to get to Cora. We have to get him back. Where are the Calaveras?” I asked.

“Mexico.” He stated causing my eyes to go wide.

THE END... of book three.