Chapter 9 - Coyote's Tip Toe

I changed the History lesson to an English lesson so it’s not Kira’s dad teaching just because I wanted Anna in this scene and she’s in a different History class so… yeah J.

“Coyote’s tip toe?” I overheard Stiles ask Allison as I walked into the next room.

“They tip toe.” She stated as the bell rang. “I gotta go.” Allison said before she left the room.

I walked up to the boy’s after Allison had left. “Coyote’s tip toe?” I asked them.

Stiles shrugged, “Apparently they tip toe.”

“What’s the plan?” I asked.

“We have to find Malia.” Scott stated.

“Are we sure it was her?”

“It has to be.” He shrugged before taking his seat. At least he tried to take his seat before Kira jumped out in front of him and said “Hi.” She looked over at me and I gave her the thumbs up and then dragged Stiles to the back row seats.

“What are you doing? We sit up there.”

“Kira’s in my seat and I’m not siting up the back by myself.” I shrugged.

“Are you setting them up? Is that what that thing was this morning when you walked off with her?” Stiles accused.

“No, of course not. Okay… maybe a little, but this morning I did just give her a few pointers about different people and filled her in on a few things and you know Scott likes her it’s obvious. We just need to give him a little nudge.”

“We? No, no, no, match maker is your game, besides, he’s still getting over Allison.”

“They haven’t been together in well over four months and she’s moved on, why can’t he?” Stiles didn’t have an answer to that. “Check and mate.” I concluded as our English teacher, Mr Ryan, begun the lesson.

“Mr Stilinski, would you like to read the next paragraph aloud.” Mr Ryan said suddenly.

“Oh… ummm… maybe someone else could?” Stiles asked.

“Everyone participates in my class, Mr Stilinski.”

I looked over at Stiles as he hesitantly got up from his seat and walked to the front of the room. When he reached the podium I saw his eyes narrow and his fingers clench around the stand. He then looked out at the class. Scott looked back at me and I nodded for him to get up because he was closer than I was.

“Stiles, you okay?” He asked as he stood up. Mr Ryan finally realized something was wrong. “I should take him to the nurse’s office.” Scott said and the English teacher nodded.

I got up to go with them, but Mr Ryan stopped me, “One person is enough, Miss Fields.” I looked over at Scott who nodded and I took up my seat. Once I sat down Kira quickly moved back to where Stiles was sitting and took his place.

“Is he okay?” She asked.

“He’s prone to panic attacks. I’m sure that’s all it is.” I said with a fake smile.

When the bell rang I quickly ran out of class to find Stiles. I went to the first place I could think. The boy’s locker room. And sure enough there they were. “Stiles! Are you okay?” I asked, beginning to panic again.

“I’m fine, I’m fine. It’s stopped.”

“What’s stopped? What happened?”

“He couldn’t read again and the movement of the letters made him dizzy.” Scott explained.

“Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yeah, yeah. I’m fine now.” I was about to say something when I felt it. I knew Scott did as well. Something was wrong. “Oh, no. I know those looks. What is it?” Stiles asked.

“I think it’s Kira.” I said. “She in the girl’s locker room.”

“I’ve got it. You stay with Stiles.” Scott said before taking off.

“What is it?” Stiles asked me.

“The girl’s locker room is just next door. We could hear her heartbeat.”

“How do you know it’s her?”

“I can faintly smell it. I don’t think Scott could…”

“What? Why’d you stop talking? Anna, come on, translate for the un-supernatural human.”

“I think… I can smell Coyote.”

“What? Why?”

“Because there’s one in the school. It’s in the locker room.”

“This locker room?!” Stiles jumped up and brought his fists to a ready fighting mode.

“No, where Kira is. And what the hell are you doing? It’s a coyote not Rocky Balboa.” I said as I jumped up and grabbed his hand. We ran to the door of the girl’s locker room just as the Coyote jumped through the broken glass window on the door and took off. “Well that’s something you don’t see every day.” I muttered. Stiles and I walked into the room and found Scott standing in front of Kira protectively, still looking where the coyote had departed. I noticed two backpacks on the ground – Scott’s and Stiles’. “What are these doing in here?”

“I was holding them. You guys left them in class and I was trying to find you.” Kira stated.

“You were? Thanks.” Scott said with a smile. I rolled my eyes.

“I should be thanking you.” I blocked out the rest of their banter and handed Stiles his backpack. It had a whole in the side and the head of a doll was sticking out.

“We found it at the wrecked car last night. I took it ‘cuz I thought we could use the scent to try and find her.”

“You said you think the coyote is Malia. What if this is what she was after?”

Half an hour later the police were here with animal catchers. Stiles was talking to his dad trying to convince him that Malia was in fact inside the coyote and that putting it down was out of the question.

“Stiles are you 100% sure that this is a girl and not an animal?” The sheriff asked.

“Yes.”

I walked up to them. “Sheriff?”

“Yes, Anna.”

“Stiles is right. I wasn’t sure to begin with at first, but Scott said that its eyes were glowing and well… bare with me here.” He sighed. “Werewolves have certain scents. They’re human one is exactly that, human, but there’s something off about it and when they’re transformed they smell like a wolf but that scent is also off. The coyote, she smelt like any other coyote, but there was something strange about it.”

The sheriff pressed his fingers to his head and shut his eyes as if he was having a migraine. “Okay. Let’s get this figured out.”