Chapter 22 - Working Towards Friendship

“Class starts in five minutes! Just because there’s no power, doesn’t mean there’s no school!” Coach was yelling through a fog horn because the school bells weren’t working.

“That was a triple negative! Very impressive, Coach.” Stiles yelled after him.

“Copy that.” We heard him say and I chuckled. Stiles went to put some books in his locker, but dropped his keys. When I picked them up for him he opened his mouth to say thank-you but stopped.

“Stiles?”

He grabbed the keys from my hand and held one of them up. “This isn’t mine.”

“Huh?”

“This key. It wasn’t on here before.”

“Stiles, they’re your keys, why would someone put a random one on there? It’s probably for your garage or something. Oh! Scotty’s here.” I waved at him with a smile and he waved back. As he was walking towards us he became distracted by something behind where we were standing and started running towards it… or her, it was Kira. Stiles stopped him.

“I need to talk to her.” Scott said.

“Don’t you remember that someone left a coded message telling Barrow to kill her?” Stiles said.

“That’s why I need to talk to her.” Scotty argued.

“Scott, no way. Until we figure out if she’s just another psychotic monster that’s going to start murdering everybody, I vote against any and all interaction.” Stiles argued.

“What if she’s like us.” Scott said, gesturing to me.

“That girl walked through 1.20 gigawatts of electricity. She’s nothing like either of you.” Stiles said and Scott walked off without saying anything. Stiles went back to staring at his new key.

“Stiles, it’s nothing.”

“It’s not for the garage.”

“Ask your dad, maybe he put it on there. Come on, we have Biology. Lydia’s mum is taking the class, she’s Harris’s replacement.” I explained and then begun towards the biology room. Stiles was walking ridiculously slow as he kept looking at the damn key so I eventually got impatient and power walked in front of him.

As I walked into the room I caught onto the end of Lydia and Aiden’s conversation. “You’re not just a bad boy Aiden, you’re a bad guy. And I don’t want to be with the bad guy.” Lydia said to him and looked back down at her book. I walked up to the table and gave him a look that said move it. He reluctantly got up from his seat and moved back. I sat down next to Lydia and without looking up from her book she said, “Hot guy, checking you out, front row.”

“What?” I muttered and looked up to see the random guy from the hallway the other day looking at me. As soon as I made eye contact with him he looked back at the front of the room. “Huh.”

“Who is he?” Lydia asked.

“I think his name is Jack… no Jake, maybe it’s Jacob… Jason…” She glared at me. “What? I only met him once and he never actually told me his name, his friend called him away.”

“Do we like him?” She questioned.

“We don’t know him.”

“How are you meant to get over Derek if you don’t sleep with an equally hot guy?”

“I don’t need to get over Derek… I’m perfectly fine.” I said as I looked straight ahead.

“Look me in the eye and say that.” She said.