Chapter 17 - Jake

We were all sitting in Coach’s Economics class waiting for his reaction.

“Son of a bitch!” There it was. He then shortly stormed into the room. “Mischief night, devil’s night, I don’t care what you call it – you little punks are evil. Do you think it’s funny that every Halloween my house gets egged? A man’s house is meant to be his castle.” He said and everyone started laughing. Coach slammed his hand down on Scott’s table to shut him up, but it didn’t help. “Mine’s a freaking omelette. Oh this.” He said picking up a wrapped box on his table that looked the same as the prank one Stiles had set up in his office. “You’re gunna do this again. I don’t think so.” He dropped it on the ground and stomped his foot down on it. I could hear Stiles chuckling with glee next to me. It really was his favourite day of the year. Coach looked down and picked up the now broken coffee mug with his face on it and a picture with writing that said ‘#1 Coach.’ He sighed and picked up the card. “Happy birthday. Love Greenburg.” He read. I had to hold in a laugh. “Okay, everyone back to work.” Coach said as he stood up.” Everyone giggled one more time before getting back to work.

The rest of the lesson was filled with Coach glaring at people who he thought responsible for ruining his office. I noticed his eyes frequently go to Stiles. I was pretty sure he was number one on his suspect list. Of course it was Stiles. He was making that obvious enough by the grin of his face for the entire hour’s lesson.

The bell rang and everyone jumped up and exited the room while coach shouted our homework at us which he knew we would never do anyway. When we got into the hallway the first thing I noticed were the police.

“Stiles?”

“I don’t know. See if we can find my dad.” It didn’t take us long to run into the Sheriff who was accompanied by my dad and the new (and very handsome) Deputy Parrish, who smiled at me. I had met him a couple of times at the station when Stiles and I dropped by after school. I smiled back.

“Hey, Parrish.” I didn’t feel the need to say hello to the Sheriff and my dad considering I just saw them a little over and hour ago.

“Anna.” He nodded.

“What’s going on?” Stiles jumped right in.

“This morning we had to escort William Barrow to the hospital for surgery, but he woke up during the procedure and escaped. The last place he was seen was entering the school.”

The William Barrow? The shrapnel bomber? Why would he come here?” Stiles questioned.

“Wait a minute… wasn’t part of his statement that he was after the people with the glowing eyes?” I questioned.

“How do you know that?” Parrish questioned me.

“Oh… ummm… I was at the station when a few deputies were talking about it and may have over heard…”

“My daughter has good hearing.” My dad said, a little sarcastically. “Parrish can you please continue searching the school, the Sheriff and I are just going to make sure our children leave and don’t continue snooping.”

Parrish nodded, “Yes sir, Stiles, Anna.” He said as a goodbye and left.

“Both of you need to get your friends and leave. If he is after… werewolves…” The sheriff muttered the word like he thought he was crazy for just saying it, “then it’d be safer if you all left.”

“But we can help find…”

“Anna.” My father cut me off with a warning tone. I hated that tone of voice. It made me feel like I was five again and trying to sneak an extra cookie in before dinner. “We can handle this. Barrow may be a monster, but he’s a human one. That means it’s our job, not the responsibility of 17 year olds.”