Chapter 24 [2]

Written: June 2017                         Edited: February 2021

Charlie's PoV:

"Yeah, I'm not seeing it in the Gray Book," Jace said.

"Well, isn't that thing supposed to have every single rune?" Clary said.

"Some of them are removed," I said flipping through pages.

"They're reserved for the most elite members of the Clave," I said in a posh voice and Clary and Jace chuckled lightly. I stood up, the book closing in my hands and I popped it down on the table next to me, before making my way over to the pile of books and picking up another one.

"We're not exactly elite, so why do we know it?" Clary asked.

"Maybe you saw it somewhere and you don't remember," Jace said and both Clary and I shook our heads.

"No, it just it appeared, like a vision, like someone or something was trying to send us a message," Clary said and Jace turned to me, giving me a look of disbelief causing me to chuckle.

"Maybe it's from our mom," Clary said.

"Clary, I know you miss her"I sighed.

How else do you explain it?" She asked.

"I don't know." Jace and I said in unison.

"You know, I'll just go ask Izzy and Alec. Maybe they'll know something."Clary said making her way towards the door, Jace and I shared a quick look before I rushed over to the door blocking the way out.

"No," Jace said pushing Clary back. 

"If you tell anyone else, they could be in danger, too," I said.

"But what about Alec?" She asked me and I sighed.

"I would love to tell him," I said, my heart sinking at the thought keeping it from him.

"But we just can't risk it. The Clave is quick to persecute anyone or anything they don't understand." I said, just as there was a knock on the door. I waved my hands at Jace and Clary as they moved the books out of the way, grabbing two different books and taking a seat, trying to look natural. I moved away from the door, turning around and twisting the handle, opening the door to reveal Izzy. 

"Come in," I said opening the door wider and allowing Izzy to walk in.

"Just wanted to see how Clary was doing, but if I'm interrupting something," Izzy said looking at all of us.

"Nope," Clary said.

"No," Jace said afterwards.

"Not at all," I said as Izzy just nodded, I know she knew something was up.

"Anyway," she said turning to me.

"Charlie you are needed" I nodded, waving goodbye to Clary and Jace and following Izzy.

"What's going on?" I asked as I caught up to her.

"My brother, he's still struggling and I thought if there's one person who can help him it's you" I let out a sigh. I turned to Izzy as we stopped outside alec's door.

"I know it's hard seeing him like this Izzy but trust me he will get better, it's just hard for him at the moment" she nodded and I pulled her in for a hug.

"I'm just glad he has you" I smiled at her, before knocking on the door. I heard nothing on the other side and presumed I wouldn't so I opened the door, sending Izzy a reassuring smile before I shut the door.

"Hey, you okay?" I said as I turned around to see Alec sat on the edge of the bed looking down at his hands.

"I'm fine," he said looking up at me and I looked at him knowingly.