Chapter 44 [3]

Charlie's PoV:

"I promised you, father" 

"Why on earth would valentine want you to tell me this there is no way he could've known and he died before any of this" My brain was trying to consume everything Robbie had told me but it was struggling, I was struggling.

"I made a promise to him many years ago to keep you safe" I scoffed.

"You've literally kidnapped me and tortured me every single time that sure sounds like you're keeping me safe" he shook his head like what I was saying was wrong.

"It was all protection" I stood there my mouth open in shock.

"How the fuck can you justify that?" I shouted. 

I screamed out doubling over in pain. Robbie came rushing over to which I quickly shoved him away.

"What's wrong?" He tried to move forward again.

"I have to leave something's wrong with clary!" I managed to gain enough strength to pick up my seraph blade and make a portal.

I turned to Robbie.

"I still have more questions" he smirked.

"I'll be there to answer them. If you need me I'll be here"

"But how will you know when?" I questioned.

"Go to your sister charlie" I nodded unsure of how to comprehend everything that he said.

I took one last look at his weak figure before stepping through the portal.

"Clary where are you?" I shouted, I ended up in an alley but there was no sign of clary. I walked into another alley and the harsh breathing brought my attention to my sister on top of it. 

"Clary!" I shouted running over.  Her eyes locked on to mine as she grasped my hand weakly. She tried to speak but I stopped her.

"Hey don't try to speak okay it's fine I've got you" I then stood silently for a few minutes, assessing how I would get her out of this. 

"Okay I'm going to take you to the institute, okay and I'll fix you up, just hold on clary I got you" her grip on my hand tightened as best as she could. 

I quickly made a portal right where she was laying and when I stepped through she'd ended up right in the infirmary. Shadow hunters looked on in shock as I placed clary so she'd be more comfortable before removing my jacket and grabbing my stele. 

"Okay, this is going to hurt" I quickly drew the healing rune, trying to ignore the grunts of pain coming from clary. Once I had drawn it, her breathing became clearer.   I placed my fingers on her temples as I tried to recount her memories, there was no way she just fell.  I  knew my power was weak so I used what I could. Memories of Jace flashed through my mind as I tried to pinpoint when it happened, and then I found it.  I immediately pulled my hands away walking back from clary as the memories of Jace throwing her off the roof flashed through my mind. I walked over to clary placing a kiss on her forehead before sending alec a message and heading for the control room.

When I reached the console Alec, Izzy and Magnus stood around giving me worried glances. 

"You're probably wondering why I called you all here and well you aren't going to like why," I said walking over to alec.

"Jace is the owl"

"How do you know that?" Izzy asked.

"Jace pushed clary off of a roof because she found out he was the owl" Alec's hand quickly found mind.

"Is she okay?" he asked, I smiled weakly at him.

"She's okay I patched her up, and she's sleeping at the moment but Jace isn't being the owl voluntarily" 

"So this whole time it wasn't his mental health. He was possessed!" Alec looked down and I knew the look on his face, he felt guilty because he hadn't realised.

"Alec you couldn't have known none of us did," I said giving his hand a squeeze and returning the gesture he gave me. He looked up giving me a weak smile.

"He was possessed by a very powerful greater demon who is giving Jace the powers to turn mundanes into demonic killers," Magnus said before placing down sketches.

"Clary was able to draw an image of the beast and it matches this image from the silent city archives. The demon is Lilith, Queen of Edom. Adam's first wife." I looked down this was my fault.

" Adam as in Garden of Eden, Adam?" Izzy asked.

"The one and only. " I could feel magnus looking at me, he knew something was up.

"So what does that mean? " Alec asked.

"She's the mother of all demons. It makes her more powerful than anything we've ever encountered. "

"But of all people, why Jace? "I sighed. I knew I would have to say one day but with everything going on right now it wasn't the best time.

"Alec" I paused.

"What you felt that night when your parabatai rune disappeared" I took a deep breath knowing there would be no good outcome to this.

"You were right. Jace did die." Alec looked at me confused.

"Valentine killed him" I looked down as alec removed his hand from mine and took a step away from me.

"I knew it. I told you that I thought he died and you told me I was wrong." I tried to walk towards him but he took another step back. I was trying to fight the tears that were welling.

"How is he alive?" Izzy asked and I looked down, not being able to stand the horrified look alec was giving me.

"I saved him"

"How?" Izzy asked.

"With my magic"

"Charlie if you use your magic to save a life you die," Magnus said. I looked up at him the tears finally dropping.

"The angel Raziel brought you back, didn't he? Clary made the wish to save you?" Magnus asked and I nodded, letting the tears fall.

"So first of you lied to me, made me think I was being stupid and you then decided to risk your life. How can you be so stupid"

"Alec the only thing I was thing about was to save Jace"

"You didn't think about me!" He shouted.

"Alec can we talk about this somewhere priv" he cut me off.

"No"

"Alec I did it for you. I'm sorry" I grabbed his hands, forcing him to look at me but his eyes held no emotion.

"Do you think that matters. How are you not vulnerable like him why didn't Lilith choose you"

"I don't know Alec," I said letting out sobs as he got angrier.

"It should've been you" he shouted pushing my hands away, I stepped back. I couldn't breathe.

"What?" I said my voice quiet and shaky.

"It should've been you that the demon-possessed" he couldn't even look at me.

"Alec" Izzy warned.

"We are done" I looked up at him, and the look on his face was of pure hatred and anger.

"Alec please don't" but he already walked off. I fell to the floor, I felt so weak. Izzy and Magnus quickly rushed over engulfing me in a hug as I sobbed on Izzy's shoulder.

"He didn't mean it," Izzy said. She was only trying to help but it didn't.

Alec was right, it should've been me. 

It was all my fault.