Chapter 58 [3]

Charlie's PoV:

It was Jonothons doing, there was no doubt about that.  The sky was orange and a portal in the centre released an army of demons, rampaging new york.

Alec and I ran out of our room, bumping into Jia and another shadow hunter I haven't seen before. We ran down the corridor when Izzy came running up to us.

"What's going on?" We ran outside onto a balcony, overlooking the city.

"Why aren't the canons firing?" Alec asked as we quickly headed back inside.

"It's going to take a minute to get them up and running," Jia said.

"We'll go help. We'll meet you back to her. Alive" She said before running off with the other shadow hunter.

Alec and I shared a look.

"We need to help," I said before heading outside, alec and Izzy quickly following behind.  

I pushed the doors open, running outside and down the steps. I watched on in horror as shadowhunters ran from the demons, while many managed to escape a few were taken. The sky had changed from an orange hue to black. 

"Charlie go back inside" Alec demanded as he came and stood next to me. 

"Alec" he didn't respond, instead, he pulled out his bow and getting his arrow ready.

"I am not risking your life" I scoffed.

"Yet you'll risk yours"

"Guys!" Izzy warned as the demons got closer.

"I'm not going anywhere," I said readying my magic.

"You aren't strong enough," Izzy said readying her spear.

"Says who?" I questioned, aiming my hands at the demons, a pulse sent out destroying the demons.

"Nice job" 

"That wasn't me," I said turning around to see magnus.

"Sorry I'm late," he said as he lowered his arms. I ran over, his arms opening as I went in for a hug.

"You're okay" he stroked my back gently, before pulling away.

"Come on we need to get inside," Alec said from behind me.

Once we were inside Izzy and magnus went to the control room, trying to find out where the source of the portal had come from, as well as where Clary and jace were. As soon as they left alec finally turned around to face me.

"I thought we agreed you would stop putting yourself in danger" 

"Alec" I sighed.

"No charlie, you are pregnant, with our children. I want you to be safe and our children and I can't risk you doing this" I walked up to him, my hand resting on his face but he pulled his head away.

"Alec, this isn't just your fight. I know that I'm in danger and I'm putting our kids at risk and I know its selfish but I have to stop this, you know that I do. I can't stand down not now and you can hate me for i-" Alec pressed his lips against mine roughly, cutting me off. My hands made my way to the back of his neck, just as he pulled away.

"I will never hate you I just need you to be safe"

"I will be, but you have to know I'll do anything to keep you safe, and that means that I might be in danger" he nodded.

"I love you," I said resting my forehead against his.
"I love you too", he said grabbing my hand, we pulled apart when we heard people approaching.

"Charlie!" I heard clary shout, I ran at her as soon as I saw her approach. I just hugged her, my hand gently stroking her back as I felt her shaking.

"Where's the sword? " I asked, clary looked at Jace, their faces both holding a defeated look.

"Jonathan destroyed it." Clary said, her hand finding mine.

"We can't close the rift." Jace said, moving over to clary to grab her hand. A large explosion car from close by, shaking the room.

"This is it, isn't it? " Izzy said worriedly, but I turned my attention to magnus, the both of us giving each other a knowing look.

"My father told me about... a way to increase my power. " Magnus said after a long pause.

"Enough to close the rift?" Clary asked.

 "Potentially, yes... The strength I would need to pull it off... can only come from one place."

"Edom?" Izzy questioned, magnus nodding at her in response.

"And well there's only one person who can help me pull this off" his eyes flicked over to me.

 "What do you mean?" Alec asked as he looked over to me.

"Charlie has obtained a large amount of power, but even with the both of us we need edom to fuel us"

"Charlie you can't do this," he said I nodded.

" I know alec, but we can only fight them off for so long. The demons will keep coming back unless we seal the rift. It's the only way to keep you all safe. "

"Charlie you cant" I walked over to him, my hand resting on his cheek.

"I promised I would keep you safe, I have to save my family" a tear fell and I quickly wiped it away, he 

"There's something I had to do, there's something I had to say..." I looked down, tears welling.

"You can tell me when I get back yeah?" he didn't respond, I pressed a light kiss to his lips, before walking over to magnus. 

He grabbed my hand as the portal opened above us.

"I love you," I said looking at clary and then alec.

"It's only edom. You always come back" I smiled at alec's attempt, I shook my head as tears fell and I quickly wiped them away.

"Never thought I would run away from my future" Alec gave me a small smile before I looked over to Magnus. We linked hands, looking up at the portal; energy filled me and i felt my feet lift off the floor as we rose up into the portal.