Chapter 32 [2]

Written: July 2019           Edited: February 2021

Charlie's PoV:

"We've lost seven of our own, but we can't allow a single radical Seelie to define the entire downworld any more than we can allow Valentine to define all shadowhunters. So to restore unity with our allies, I will be hosting regular cabinet meetings here with the downworld leaders of new york" Alec stood in front of the Institute, strong and proud. I stood in front, watching him with a proud smile knowing he belonged here. I squeezed Izzy's hand as she watched her brother, the same proud look on her face. Alec carried on talking, and I tried to focus on him, but my attention caught onto two shadow hunters stood near me, talking in hushed whispers.

"I'm all for unity. But does he have to bring them here?"I looked over to Izzy, who had noticed them as well, both of us sharing an unamused look.

"I mean what did you expect his girlfriend is best friends with a warlock and she is one herself" I felt Izzy's grip on my hand tighten as we listened in.

"Still can't believe Alec Lightwood is in charge"

"Just wait in a week it'll be someone else", Izzy and I shared a look before I turned to them.

"Hey," I said catching their attention.

"Unless you want me to kick your ass, which you both know I could do with ease, show some fucking respect" They immediately shut up, looking down sheepishly before turning their attention back to alec. I turned back to Izzy who was quietly chuckling to herself. 

"Dismissed" I walked over to where alec was walking down towards us, a wide smile on his face.

"You're doing great sweetie," I said in a southern accent and putting my thumbs up, alec scoffed grabbing my hand and pulling in towards him.

"Please never say that again" we both laughed as I wrapped my arms around him.

"I'm so proud of you" I whispered into his ear, the both of us grinning as we pulled apart from our hug and walking hand in hand over to Jace at the console. When we got to Jace he had a smile on his face as he waited for Alec before giving him a pat on the back.

"Look at you," he said, pulling alec in for a hug.

"In charge for a week and you already shaking things up" Alec stepped back, grabbing onto my hand and squeezing it as he smiled at the others.  

"I think this cabinet thing is a good idea," Izzy said.

"Yeah, I'm not sure everyone agrees I heard Some people speaking about it I don't think they're too happy that you are dating a half warlock and friends with the high warlock of New York," I said.

"But fuck them because you know what you're doing Alec and I trust you 100%" he smiled down at me, pulling me into his side, my arms instinctively wrapping around his waist as we looked up at each other. When I looked back at the others, they all stood smiling at us.

"Okay, so how can I help?" Clary asked.

"Actually I need to adjust the mission, you're going to the Seelie court," Alec said.

"Where is that?"

"The nearest entrance is in Central Park but it's in another realm where the Seelie Queen lives" Clary looked confused as Alec explained what the Seelie Queen had done. When everyone was given orders they started to disperse. I turned to alec, looking up at him.

"You suit being authoritative," I said causing him to let out a small chuckle

"Really?" He pulled me in for a kiss, my hands made their way to his hair; the kiss getting a bit too heated until a cough broke us out. We turned to see Jace just watching us with a wide grin.

"Come on love birds we've all got shit to do," he said causing me and Alec to laugh lightly.
I gave him a quick peck goodbye as I made a portal to go see Magnus.

——

I walked around the Institute, after arriving back from Magnus's. Magnus had needed extra persuasion into joining the downworlder meeting in the institute, which a quick trip to Prague fixed. After we had a bit of food and I spoke to him about the meeting he agreed almost instantly.

I walked through the institute to Alec's office where I had left my ring. I opened the door, shocked to find Maryse stood in the centre of the room.

"Maryse!" I said, surprised that she was here. However she didn't even acknowledge it, she just stared in front of her. I walked over slowly.

"Maryse?" I said as she didn't even move. I put my hand on her arm, immediately breaking her out of whatever trance she was in, the both of us jumped back in surprise.

"Charlie! You scared me" She said laughing as she held her hand to her chest, I smiled at her, but I couldn't help but feel worried. She suddenly reached for me, wrapping her arms around me. I stood there, slowly wrapping my arms around her confused. When she pulled away we stared at each other for a minute, while she stood smiling I was trying to figure her out. We had more of an understanding now but never had we advanced into our relationship far enough for physical contact.

"Are you alright?" I asked and she nodded, plastering a smile on her face.

"Of course I am Charlie why would you say that" she said, waving her hand dismissively.

"Maryse there is no point in lying to me what's going on?" I asked and the smile she wore like a mask faltered. She looked at me, before letting out a sigh.

"Robert is having an affair"Maryse said looking down at the floor. I felt a pit in the bottom of my stomach, I wanted to say I was surprised but I felt like I knew something was up.

" I think I always knew that was the case I just didn't really want to think about it.  I wanted to set a good example for the kids, that we were a strong couple so they would know what that's like" she said and I moved closer to her, grabbing her hand diverting her attention from the floor to me.

"I think what they need is for you to be here for them. Leave Robert the prick isn't worth it and you set a good example for your kids already, look how their turning out . You deserve to be treated right Maryse and your kids will love you and look after you just like you have with them." She gave my hand a tight squeeze.

"Charlie I'm so glad you're part of this family," she said pulling me in for another hug, this time it was more natural.

"I know I haven't exactly been welcoming to you in the past but if Alec hurries up it would be a blessing to have you as properly part of the family," she said causing my cheeks to heat up at the thought of me and Alec getting married.

"I should go find my children and tell them" she said, but I could tell she was hesitant. 

"You will be fine, they will understand" she nodded, waving goodbye as she left alec's office. I trailed behind a few minutes later, heading towards my room. I looked up as I heard someone walking past me, I smiled as I saw Jace.

" Hey Jace," I said as he past, but he didn't even give me so much a sideways glance. I stopped in my tracks as I watched his retreating figure, before turning my head in the direction he came from. I rushed to where my gut was telling me to go. I pushed the door open and knew I had made the right decision when I saw Clary curled up on her bed, muffling her cries. When she realised someone was in her room she wiped her tears, until she stopped seeing me. I shut the door behind me, before rushing over to the bed engulfing her in a hug. I let her cry, holding onto her the entire time. I didn't pester her to tell me what was wrong, I knew what she needed was someone to be there. 

After a while, the events of her day caught up with her and she became drowsy. She shifted her position, laying her head on my lap and closing her eyes as I gently stroked her head smiling as the frown that was etched on her face slowly disappeared and a peaceful look grcaed her features.