Chapter 36 [2]

Written: September 2019   Edited: March 2021

Charlie's PoV:

I followed Max as he made his way into Alec's office, hiding behind as he turned to look around before entering alec's office. I moved closer, standing by the door which was ajar. I frowned when heard the familiar British voice and wondered why Sebastian was in Alec's office.

"You're Jonathon" I heard max say, my hand flew to my mouth.

"Nice tracking skills. Isabelle has taught you well, perhaps a little too well" the door slammed shut in my face. I moved forward, kicking it open my eyes immediately landing on max who laid unconscious on the floor and Jonathon standing over him.

"Get the fuck away from him" I shouted using my magic, slamming Jonathon into the wall. I knelt next to max, inspecting the wound and starting to heal it when I heard Jonathon laugh. I turned around to see Jonathon stood behind me.

"I think Robbie would love a hello after all this time" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alec's PoV:

We stood around the console waiting for Isabelle.

"Hey sorry I'm late I've been looking everywhere for max has anyone seen him?" I looked at Izzy concern laced her features. While people made guesses I looked around.

"Uh, guys has anyone seen Charlie?" I questioned but no one had a clue. Even if we had an argument she was never one to just disappear especially when he institute is on high alert with the threat from valentine and when she's under threat from Robbie. I sighed, a bad feeling bubbling in my gut. 

"Report back here with any possible scenarios in which valentine and Jonathon could breach" Everyone then went there separate ways apart from Izzy.

"Is everything okay?" She asked me and I looked down.

"You told her about the soul sword?" I nodded.

"I was just trying to protect her. She's a half warlock and half her friends are downworlders I didn't want her to worry especially with the whole stress with Robbie" Izzy just nodded grabbing my hand and squeezing it. 

"Hey I'm sure she just needs a bit of time and you two will be fine, you always are" I gave her a small smile before she headed off in search of max.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I twiddled my thumbs as I sat waiting for the news. I turned and looked at Max through the infirmary window. He had been in there a while, not waking up after he sustained a head injury from who we think is Jonathon. My parents had come down despite their differences. I grabbed Izzy's hand as the door opened. Magnus opened the door with an unintelligible look on his face.

"How is he?" I asked looking at max's unmoving figure.

"He will be fine," Magnus said, I pulled him in for a hug but his stance was rigid. I pulled back.

"What?" I asked.

"I didn't save him" I looked at Magnus.

"what does that mean? you said he is fine" Izzy questioned, her face adorning the same confused look.

"Charlie saved him" I tightened my grip on Izzy's hand.

"What do you mean charlie saved him she hasn't been here all day?" thoughts racked my brain as I turned round to my family to see the same confused look on their faces.

"I simply finished her work. She must have been there as soon as it happened she stopped most of the bleeding she saved him" I ran my hand through my hair, letting out a stressed sigh.

"So she didn't finish saving him?" Magnus shook his head, I turned when I felt a tug on my arm. I turned my attention to Izzy.

"If it was Jonathon and she was there when it happened then..." my eyes widened as I realised what Izzy was going to say.

"The reason she didn't finish saving max was that Jonathon got to her first" There was silence as everyone sent worried glances my way.

"Oh god," I said as I collapsed back into the chair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We stood around the console once again. 

" Now there's a possibility that charlie managed to escape Jonathon, but we need to make sure she is okay. Magnus, I need you to try and lock on to charlie's location and clary if you try the tracking rune with her as well," Magnus nodded, hurrying off while Clary lingered. It was obvious she was as scared of the situation as me, I smiled at her and she sent a worried smile back before heading off.

"Jace and Izzy, see if you can find anything that might help us with finding charlie and search everywhere" they walked off, both giving me a sad smile as they left. I looked back down at the screens, no information popping up.

"Where the hell are you?" I whispered to myself before heading to our room.

When I got to our room I looked around, my hands grazing over charlie's things and a few pictures of us that we'd managed to have taken. I smiled at the thought of her and how we got to be where we are now.  I walked over to the bed and picking up my jumper which she had taken and always wore. I brought it up to my face, it was soft and I closed my eyes at the smell of her perfume.

I walked into the room to see charlie running around placing food on a picnic blanket she'd placed by the window.

"What's going on here?" She spun around a smile immediately lighting up her face.

"Jace told me you were gonna be another half-hour" She whined walking over to me and kissing me.

"Anyway I thought we could have a little date, I've got snacks drinks and my laptop so we can watch whatever we can find on Netflix," She said walking over to the blanket on the floor and that's when I realised what she was wearing.

"Is that my jumper?" I said standing up and walking over to her.  Her cheeks became a deep shade of pink and she hid her face in the jumper.

"It's comfortable and it smells like you, so excuse me for wanting you around all the time" I pulled her in close to me, looking down at her.

"You look sexy as hell so I'm not complaining" she smirked going on her tiptoes to kiss me. The kiss deepened and her arms wrapped around my neck as my hands made their way to her waist. As we carried on the kiss, I slowly moved my hand down, I felt her smirk into the kiss before she pulled away. I groaned at the lack of contact.

"Come back" I whined.

"No fuck you"

"Anyday" she was shocked at that, to say the least.

"Stop feeling sorry for yourself and come and sit with me"

I smiled at the memory as I looked back down at the jumper, placing it on her side of the bed, hope washing through me. 

"Alec!" I spun around to see Izzy in the doorway breathless.

"It's Max, he's awake," she said before starting off running again, I followed right behind her.