Chapter Fifteen: Safe

We had originally planned to stay in the human world for only a week but it has been a week and three days now. We no longer know when we will go back because we have nothing down there that we care about. Charolette doesn't miss her mom because she is abusive, Jason is an orphan except for his adopted parents, and my Dad is up here. So we have just been chilling.

"We're buzzing like that no vacancy sign out front!" The words to Blake Shelton's "Sangria" pounded through my earbuds as I lay on my bed.It was nine-thirty and Charolette was up reading a beauty magazine. I was laying on my bed wearing some random shorts and an oversized hoodie.

A sharp knock got Charolette to get up and answer the door. I couldn't exactly make out who it was, but I just want to listen to my music right now. Just then Jason landed next to me on my bed with a flop, I took out one earbud so I could hear what he was saying.

"Hey, Cassie! What song is it?" I showed him the album cover.

"Nice, Good song." I passed him the other earbud and we just sat there listening for a while, while Charolette read her magazine.

Jason wrapped his arms around me and I laid my head on his chest.

"It's okay Babe," He whispered to me softly, stroking my hair, "You can go to sleep, I've got you."

I didn't want to, but I couldn't help but fall asleep. I listened to the steady beat of the music as Jason stroked my hair, careful not to yank it.

I woke up an hour later and sat up.Jason was still awake holding me. Memories of my Mom doing my hair flooded into my mind. She would spend hours looking up and perfecting the latest hairstyle so I could rock it at school the next day. I really miss her! I just couldn't help it. I cried. It's hard to lose a parent and I always pushed away all thoughts of her.

"It's okay to cry, Cassie," Jason reassured me. He hugged me tight and I felt safe. 

"Do you want to go back to bed?" He asked me.

"Yeah," I said, yawning and wiping my eyes. "I'm pretty tired."

"Do you want me to stay?" Jason asked.

The truth was I did want him to stay, he made me feel safe.

"Ok. I'll stay. But you have to actually sleep." He commanded. You see what I mean? He was always looking out for me while being a great boyfriend at the same time.

I laid my head on the pillow and Jason covered me with a blanket while holding me.

I never wanted this moment to end. But then I fell asleep.