Chapter: Nineteen

It has been three days. I am starving. I have lost seven pounds. And I am going crazy. As I sat alone and scared in my room, I noticed a strange sound filled the room. It was faint but it was there. I looked over at Charolette and she pointed to the ceiling excitedly.
I glanced in the direction she was pointing.
"Hey Cass!" A voice whispered.
Then I noticed. A vent in the ceiling had been painted white and, No! I had to be dreaming! What the heck?
•••••••••••••••
"Jason!" I whisper-shouted. He threw a rope ladder out of the vent and I attempted to stand. Even though I was weak I was able to pull myself over to the ladder.
"Come on up." He whispered.
"I can't!" I said back, my voice was limited to a harsh whisper.
"Alright, I'll help you up. Grab the rope and I'll pull you up."
"Alright." I grabbed the end of the ladder and Jason began pulling me up to the vent. It took quite a while and I was surprised nobody came in. When I was fully in the AC vent, I said, "You  came back for me!"
"Of course I did," he replied, "Even if this place was on fire I would come back for you. I love you."
"Babe, I am absolutely filthy," I told him, trying to avoid a kiss.
"Too bad." He said, kissing me anyway. "I missed you."
"I missed you too, but we have to get Char."
"Okay, let's go." He pulled the rope ladder up into the ceiling and we slowly crawled in Charolette's direction.
"So, um, how did you find me?" I asked him quietly.
"I tracked you."
"Excuse me?" I asked him, he's kidding, right?
"I downloaded a software to your phone so I could track you. I knew this would happen."
"How?" Was he a fortune teller or something?
"I have dreams." He answered, then he stopped crawling, "We are here."
I inhaled sharply and jumped slightly backward.
I watched as he unscrewed the vent then tossed the ladder down. Even though I was behind him I could hear him explaining everything to her. Once she was inside I attempted to hug her and we both whisper squealed with delight.

We crawled through the vent for about ten minutes then Jason removed a vent and we met the blue sky. I inhaled a deep breath of fresh air, "Ahhhhh." 

The sun was shining and the birds were chirping. We climbed up onto the roof and that's when I got a good look at how gargantuan the building really is. On top, there was a huge Nike check mark in the color black, my Dad's favorite color. I shuddered at the thought of him. 

My face fell at the thought of all the fun times we used to have, eating ice cream and going to the park together. But that was all over now. Life with my Dad will never be the same again. At least, as long as you dumb humans are around.