Chapter Twenty Two: Broken

(Allow me to recommend listening to sad music to make this moment better. I recommend Tell Your Heart To Beat Again by Danny Gokey or All of Me by John Legend actually any Adele song will also do nicely.)

"It's going to be fine!" I said to Jason. We were about three hours from Iowa and Charolette was listening to music with her earbuds, tuning us out.
"It's not!" He yelled, "We have to do something!"
"There's nothing we can do." I whispered softly.
"Your so ignorant all the time!"
"I am not!" I argued back.
"You are! Like right now! Ugh! I can't do this anymore!" He yelled loudly.
"What?" My heartbeat shot up intensely.
"We are done!"
The words hit me like a punch to the gut. My heart broke in two and I turned to look out the window. I sat there silently as a single tear escaped my eyes and slid down my cheek. I angrily wiped it away.
Not daring to look at Jason I continued to stare out the window.
I can't believe it. We are done. I thought of all the great moments I had shared with him, like when he asked me to be his girlfriend. The thought of that sent more tears streaming down my face. Or when we would listen to country music together and sing along, even though neither of us can sing very well.
I reached into my bag and pulled out my phone and earbuds and turned on some music.
"Someone Like You" by Adele came on.
"Great." I muttered to myself quietly.
I don't know when, but only shortly after my eyelids grew heavy and I fell into a deep sleep.
•••••••••••••
(I now recommend Cruise by Florida Georgia Line. Great song!😂)

When I awoke my head was leaning on Jason's shoulder and he was stroking my hair softly.
When I realized it was him I immediately sat up and turned to look back out the window.
"Cassie." He whispered, grabbing my hand. "I didn't mean that. I love you."
I gasped, "So why did you say it?" I asked sharply turning my head to the side, sending my flaming red hair flying to the side. I carefully pulled it over my shoulder and stared into Jason's brown eyes.
"What are you saying?" I asked him.
"I didn't mean that. I was just, upset!" He stuttered, "And I'm not so great at controlling myself sometimes. You aren't ignorant Cassie," His face relaxed, "You're perfect."
I turned to look out the window so he wouldn't see the huge smile on my face.
"And I'm sorry." He whispered.
"Me too." I answered.
His face leaned close to mine when all of a sudden we were rudely interrupted by, "Sixteen!" Charolette screamed loudly, "Sixteen cows!" She turned to see us laughing.
"What?" She asked curiously.
"Char!" I yelled, "Focus on the road!"
She quickly turned around, "Oh! Was I interrupting?" She asked.
"Nah," Jason answered, laughing,"Your timing is perfect."
He looked at me and smiled. Life is good, For now.