Chapter Thirty: Her

"Who am I?" I stood there in front of my bathroom mirror. my hair a wreck, my face sweaty, and bags under my eyes so big you could carry groceries in them.

I hadn't slept a wink last night since Jason had another nightmare. I tried so hard to calm him down. But I'm just not good at that stuff.

I splashed my face with water and patted it dry. I walked downstairs to the kitchen, 9:00.

"Hey Darlin'" Jason said backing away from the stove and flipping a pancake high in the air.

There was a vase of daisies sitting on the table.

"Hope you like pancakes." He said, smiling, the spatula still in his hand.

"Mhm." I answered, sitting down and rubbing my eyes.

"Did you sleep at all last night?" His concern evident as he placed a pancake in front of me.

"Yeah, a little." I lied. I had gotten absolutely. No. Sleep. Whatsoever. None.

"I'm so sorry." He said, sitting across from me.

"It's okay. I get it. You can't help it." I stared down at my pancake.

"Yeah but I feel bad."

"It's fine. Seriously." I had an attitude. I knew I was being snarky and I cringed at the thought of hurting Jason.

He withered under my words, his smile fading, "Ok. Maybe go take a nap you could use some sleep."

He was reading my mind again.

"Okay." I set down my fork and trudged up the stairs, passing Char on my way up.

"Hey!" She said cheerfully. Her pink fluffy robe wrapped around her shoulders. "Are you okay?" She asked, looking me up and down.

I just grunted at her and continued my way up the stairs. I flopped onto my bed dramatically with a sigh.

"I need, a" I stopped, words leaving my brain. "Getaway."

My eyelids feel heavy as an idea formed in my brain.

•••••••••••••••
A sharp knock on my door jolted me awake, "Cassie?" Charolette whispered. "Are you awake?"

"I am now." I sat up, stretching my arms into the air.

"Can we go shopping? There's a really cute cafè down the street and Jason's coffee isn't the best." She kept her voice barely above a whisper for fear that he would hear her.

"Ugh. Sure." I gave in.

"Yes!" She cheered. Suddenly a skirt and hat smacked me in the face. "Put this on with a top!" She ran away from the door scared I would throw them back to her.

I willingly put them on then walked to my closet, I grabbed a pale pink Adidas Sweatshirt that had the logo in black. It actually matched the black skirt and hat really well.

I shrugged willingly and tossed it over my head letting my hair fall loosely past my shoulders.

Charolette peeked behind the door and slid a black pair of boots into my room. "You can't wear a sweatshirt!" She screeched.

"Too bad." I said, with a smirk. "I'm wearing it."
••••••••••••••

"Is that?"

"I think so." I whispered.

"It's her."