Chapter Thirty Five

"Dad?" I whispered into the phone.

"Hello Cassie." His voice low and raspy, cracking as he uttered my name.

Silence.

"Cassie. Come back. Work with me." He pleaded, "We could be together again." The words echoed like nails on a chalkboard, "The Deathly Duo."

"No." I said, my hand shaking, "Never again." I said it again, "Never again. You murderer."

"Cassie," Somehow his voice took me back, the missions spent with him, when he was fun, loving, when he was a father. "They are just people, they have no purpose, besides, it's my job! I can't control that. Don't fight it, join me."

I thought about it. We could work together again. Finally. Father Daughter Duo, together. Taking over the world. My heart longed to be close to him again. To feel the warmth of a father.

"Ok." I whispered, "I'll do it."

"Great. Meet Layla at the corner of 32nd street."

Layla.

Darn it.

What have I done?

••••••••••

I grabbed my bag of things, slung it over my shoulder and with one last glance at the tiny house full of drama, I ran down the street.

When I came to 32nd street there stood Layla, her blonde hair glinting in the moonlight.

"Hey Cassie! I'm so excited you joined us!" She said, sarcasm dripping from her tone.

"Yeah." I answered, keeping it vague.

"So, Finch is waiting for us at The Base. Let's go, The Boss hates waiting." She adjusted her sunglasses and walked down the street like a model on a runway. I took off awkwardly behind her, tripping lamely over my own feet.

The wind whistled through the tall oak trees that were surrounding the city. I glanced shyly at the rocky pavement, shuffling my feet with a heavy heart. The moon glistened on the street, an eerie silence filled the city.

"Here we are. Home sweet home." Layla acknowledged the brick building in front of us. It had a broken fire escape, boarded up windows, and no visible door. I shivered at the sight of its ugliness. "Welcome to The Base, Cassie. Your dad is inside."

She ushered me around back and she jumped through a hole blocked by curtains, I followed her.

An echo resounded through the building as I hit the ground with a thud. My skin crawled as I looked around the worn down office.

"Hello darkness, my old friend."

And that's the end of The Devil's Daughter!!!! Thank you all so much for reading and I am excited to announce the Sequel, Drowning. I can't wait for y'all to read it! It will have MUCH longer chapters.Thank you sososo much for getting this book to 1.52k views! It means so much to me! Thank you❤️