Chapter Twenty Eight: Caught out

(I legit HATE switching POVs but we're back with Cassie)

"Scooter!" I called down the hallway, "Come here buddy!" But still, Scooter didn't come down the hall.

"Dinner buddy!" I yelled. I heard the clickety clack of his little paws and saw him come bolting down the hallway. He ran up to his food bowl and sloppily ate up his kibble. I rubbed his soft little ears while I waited for him to be done.

Charolette walked past me, hitting me with her shoulder and her chin turned up. She walked down the hall in a huff, still ignoring me.

"Let's go for a walk." I said to Scooter. I walked to the end of the hall and grabbed his blue leash, clipping it on to his collar I walked down stairs and opened the door.

I stepped outside, the warm sun blinding me as it beat down on my back. Scooter jumped around, excited for his walk. I made my way into downtown looking at all the buildings.

I was walking by BuckTown Centre For The Arts when I heard someone say my name. But they weren't calling me. It seemed to be coming from behind the old brick building.

"Y-yes sir." The voice said. The voice had a British accent.

I know that voice.

Wes.

I crept around the side of the building. Peering around the corner I saw the tight blond curls, it is definitely him.

"Yes Devil, sir. I will meet Charolette tonight and find out where they go next."

I gasped quietly in shock and walked away from the building. I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and silently crept back. I launched the Voice Memos app and started a recording.

"No sir. Yes sir. I am not in love with Charolette. Yes sir I know that will mess up the program. No sir. Nope. Yes. I will report back to you tomorrow. Have a good night Devil sir." Wes hung up the phone and from where I was standing I saw him fall against the wall. A single tear slid down his cheek and he wiped it away angrily.

"I love you Charolette." He whispered.

I ran away from the building and back toward the house. Sweat dripping down my forehead and onto my neck. I threw the door open my words stumbled out of my mouth between short breaths.

"W-Wes is *pant* spying on us!" I screamed.

I heard the thud of loud footsteps come crashing down the stairs.

"Cassie! Cassie calm down!" Jason said, walking down the stairs he put his hands on my shoulders. He stared into my eyes, "What's wrong?"

I tried to catch my breath, "Wes is using Charolette to spy on us for my Dad."

"I knew it." Jason said.

I walked out of the front parlor and toward the kitchen, Jason closed the front door behind me and made his way to the kitchen.

I sat down at the island, unclipped Scooters leash and picked him up. I set him in my lap and hugged him close to me.

"How do you know?" Jason asked me, grabbing two Seven Up's, he handed one to me and opened his, the carbonation and bubbles fizzing.

I took my phone out of my jeans pocket and set it on the island counter, I opened Voice Memos and played the recording.

Wes' shocking words played through my phone speakers and I took one look at Jason's shocked expression and knew he felt the same way as me.

When the recording stopped I heard soft crying coming from behind me. I turned and saw Charolette standing in the doorway.

"Oh, Charolette." I said, sympathetically.

Clearly, she did not want to talk. She turned and went running up the stairs to her room.

Scooter squirmed in my arms, and I let go of him, "Go see Char." I said to him.

I heard him go bolting up the stairs and into Charolette's room.

I leaned my arms onto the table and laid my head in them. "I'm such a bad friend." I said, my voice muffled.

"No you're not." Jason argued, he walked over and rubbed my back, "She adores you."

"I should probably go talk to her." I said, picking my head up.

"Maybe." Jason said, softly kissing my forehead.

I gave him a grateful glance and trudged up the stairs, my shoulders heavy. I grabbed my sweatshirt sleeves and tucked them over my hands so you couldn't see my fingers.

I paused before knocking on the door.

"Char?" I said.

"She's not here." Char called from behind the door.

"Come on, let me in. Please?" I said. The lock clicked and the door slowly opened. A distressed Charolette peeked out from behind the door.

"Come on in." She said. I walked into her room. She was a mess! Tears covered her face and her hair was a wreck. But she looked great at the same time! All her clothes from Forever 21.

I took a seat on her bed, "How are you?" I asked her.

She sat down next to me, "Terrible!" She said between sobs.

"Oh sweetie." I said, giving her a hug. "I'm sorry."

"Why can't I have a normal boyfriend!" She sobbed. "All I've ever wanted is to be like you and Jason! He loves you! I want a boy to look at me the way he looks at you."

I hugged her and Scooter scratched at her door whimpering.

Jason opened the door and picked up Scooter, "I'll take him outside." He said.

"Thanks." I looked at him gratefully.

When he was gone Charolette said, "See? He does anything for you. I want that."

Well I couldn't disagree with her. "You'll find someone, I promise."

Charolette's phone rang and when I saw the Caller ID my heart dropped into my stomach.

Wes.