Chapter 1: Problems

Chloe:

"Time to get up!" My sister screamed in my ear. I jumped and fell off the bed. I heard her annoying laughter fill the room as I groaned and rolled over onto my back.

"What the hell, Lisa." I mumbled and tried to get up. She continued to laugh like a manic while I was aching all over.

Hi, I'm Chloe. I'm twenty years old and in my last year of college. I know what you're thinking and yes, I am some kind of genius.

I was only fifteen years old when I started the five year college program at Herman's University. There is where I met my best friend, Rachel.

Of course she's older than me by three years but she's an amazing friend. My sister, whom you've just met is always waking me up at ridiculous times when my classes start at twelve noon.

"Chloe, get up!" she ordered this time and I looked over at the clock. 7 o'clock in the freaking morning."

"Lisa, leave me alone." I grumbled. She pulled me up by my arm and placed me sitting on the bed.

"Get ready for school, missy." With that said she left. I guess it's time to get ready for school.

•~~~~~•💍•~~~~~•

I looked at myself in the mirror. Black hair in huge curls tumbled down my back, big glass green eyes, lined in mascara stared back at me; my cappuccino colored skin glowed as the sun rays shone on it and the pink dress I was wearing contrasted perfectly with my skin, fitting my curves in the right places on my almost slender body.

I am not vain. I rarely check myself in the mirror. But today, I just felt like it. Grabbing my bag I headed down into the kitchen where my mother and Lisa was sitting on the counter, drinking coffee.

If anyone saw those two, they wouldn't really think they were mother and daughter unless they look at the freckles.

Mama was olive colored, slim and was slightly taller than me. She had long brown, straight hair that stopped at the middle of her back. Her eyes were a glass green color. She had freckles like me on both cheeks.

Lisa on the other hand had dark colored skin, thick, black, shoulder length hair that was in small curls. She had brown eyes and also those same freckles on both cheeks. She wasn't really slim like mama because she took more of our black genes.

Our father was black. I never got to know him because he left when I was born and when Lisa was five years old. Mama doesn't talk about him much. So it's always just been me, mama and Lisa.

Mama smiled when she saw me. "Good morning, mija." she greeted. I sat next to her on the bar stool. "What's for breakfast?" I asked.

"Eggs and bacon. Here." Lisa said and slid a plate toward me. I thanked her and dropped my bag on the counter. Then I dug in my breakfast. "Ah-ah... hija, you know better than to put your bag on the table." Mama said in a slightly teasing, slightly serious manner.

I sighed and swallowed my food, "Mama, leave me alone. I'm leaving just now, anyway."

"Chlo." Lisa said warningly. I sighed, "Stop treating me like a child guys. I'm a grown woman and I can take care of myself."

"I know mija. It's just so hard knowing you'll graduate in the next few weeks. And then you'll be out in the real world like your hermana." Mama signed, sadly.

I grasped her hand in mine and smiled softly, "Don't worry mama. I'll always be your little girl."

She smiled brightly and her eyes shined. Across from us, Lisa laughed making me roll my eyes.

•~~~~~•💍•~~~~~•

Walking up the pathways of Herman's University for the gifted never felt so great. I think it's the adrenaline of knowing soon I'll be able to get a good job to get my family out of that hellhole of an apartment.

Leaning on a land post was the one person I love like family. She was wearing a nude leather dress that stopped at her knee and fitted like a second skin. Her shoulder length blonde hair was up in a ponytail, the ends falling in curls. The perfect example of class and wealth....... and my best friend.

She was looking at her nails but as soon as I was near, crystal blue eyes shot up at me and smiled. Rachel beamed, "Hey chica. Ready for class?"

"Your Spanish is crap." I teased as we walked to our first class. She just giggled, looping her hands in mine. "Come on, Latino. We have a lecture in Mr Bailey's class and you know how that could be."

The rest of the day passed by like a blur and the next thing I know, Rachel's driving me home. "So Latino, are you coming to the party at Rituals after grads?"

I rolled my eyes, "Ray you know I can't. I have to look for a job."

"Psht, you know I can support you if you let me. I could always get you a job so you are coming to the party no excuses."

"Ray... "

"No arguments, you are going and you're home." When I looked up and saw that i was indeed home I scowled at her, "Slut."

She smiled back cheekily, "Bitch. Now shoo. I'll see you tomorrow." Sticking my tongue out at her, I got out the car and rushed up the stairs.

I was in such a lovely mood but that mood plummeted to my stomach when I saw the sheet of paper taped to the front door.

In bold, red capital letters were the words:

ATTENTION : EVICTION NOTICE.

°~~~~~°💍°~~~~~°

Christian:

I pulled out of the girl that was under me and sat at the edge of the bed. I took out a cigarette and lit it. Putting the butt between my lips, I took a drag and puffed out the smoke.

"Baby, come back to bed." the girl behind me whined. Taking another drag, I motioned to the door. "Get out." I said calmly, coldly.

"But, Chris... " I turned around and glared at her fiercely. She immediately shut up.

"Don't call me that." I said in a deadly calm voice.

"Chrissy..... "

"Get the fuck out of my house!" I boomed and just like that, she ran out the door with her clothes in her hands. Typical whore.

••••

"Carson!" I called for my PA. He came rushing in with a stack of folders in his hand. "Here you are, Mr. Humphrey." he said, setting them on my desk and then he handed me a letter.

"This came in today. The lady said it was urgent." Carson said hesitantly before leaving. I glared at the envelope.

The name's Humphrey, Christian Humphrey. Twenty five years old and one of the youngest most successful businessman out there. I own Humphrey Technology and Co. Passed down from my father of course but he's handling the branch in England right now.

The letter I am holding is from Mrs Davison. Groaning, I opened the letter out of curiosity:

My Dearest Christian,
I am writing this in concern of Darla. She has not been doing well since the breakup three years ago. She still loves you and you know just how much your mother adores her. And, I am willing to believe you still love her. So I am proposing an arranged marriage between you two. Please let me know soon. I hate seeing my baby so heartbroken.

Much Love,
Claudia Davison.

I clenched the paper in my hand and threw it across the room and then I banged my hand against the desk in anger.

That bitch is not getting back in my life. Ever. Gah. I have to think of something and fast.

•~~~~•~~~~•💍•~~~~•~~~~•

Hi guys, so I'm trying this one on for size. Give me a break, okay. Well, tell me, how was it? Hope you like it.

Love Always,
Ally💋