Chapter 48: Rain

Chloe:

Nothing makes sense. My mind is numb. Everything that happened over the past few days was crashing in on me.

Lisa is dead.

Lisabeth is Christian's daughter.

Mike was arrested.

Darla is dead.

They all kept spinning round and round in my head. So many people hurt for a stupid obsession. I kept my eyes glued to the white ceiling thinking back to what he did to me.

He got what he wanted and my sister watched. My eyes stung at that thought. My sister watched and not once helped me and when she was caught she decided death would be better than facing mama at court.

She didn't even stop to think about her daughter; what would happen to her when she's gone. Luckily I am her legal godmother so the authorities cannot take her away.

I haven't eaten since yesterday. The nurse advised I rest before the check the condition of my baby, if I still even have one growing in me.

A tear fell from the corner of my eyes. He tried to kill my baby. Christian was forced to go home and change when he refused to leave my side. He told me that he never stopped looking for me and had he not figured out that clue he would still be looking even if it took years.

The fact that the police department didn't even try made me sick to my stomach. They told them who to look for and they brushed it off as unnecessary accusations.

Would they have waited until I became a cold case to look for me? I sighed. Things are going to become difficult from here on out. The media is going to have a feild day with this. Not to mention the eyes that are going to be on me because of Darla's death.

It was no secret to the public that she and I never got along. There is still footage from her crashing my wedding circling around the entertainment stations.

The sound of the door opening didn't phase me. I know it was the doctor. Christian requested a lady doctor because he realized that trusted no man besides him at the moment.

"How are you feeling today, Mrs Humphrey?" she asked politely.

"Just tell me if I'm still pregnant." I whispered. She hummed in understanding and started using all these gadgets I didn't know the name of.

Once she was done, she marked something down on her notepad and I glanced at her smile.

"Everything is fine with your fetus, Mrs Humphrey. Just take it easy for a few days and avoid any strenuous activity for at least a month. I'm prescribing you some vitamins; you must take them at least twice a day after meals for three months."

I let out a sound of relief and nodded at her. "When can I go home?" I asked quietly.

"Your husband is on his way now to take you home." she informed.

I nodded and slowly started to sit up. The chair where Chris sat last night had an outfit layed out. I smiled to myself; he's so thoughtful.

As soon as I was finished getting dressed, Chris walked through the door. He froze when he saw me and then his eyes clouded over.

He waisted no time pulling me into his arms and pressing his face into my neck. I could feel his tears soak my skin as he spasmed lightly. All the emotions from the past few days came back and I broke down.

We just stood there, the both of us needing this time to let everything out. We didn't even think about time.

"I'm so sorry." Chris sobbed and the river in my eyes flowed harder. He has nothing to be sorry about and I wanted to tell him so bad but the tears have rendered me speechless.

My eyes glanced up to the clock through blurry eyes and I realized we've been like this for almost an hour. Chris pulled away from me then and I could see the dried tears on his cheeks as he dried mine with his fingers.

"Come on, sweetheart. Let's just get this over with."

~~~~~💍~~~~~

The preacher's words never reached my ears. The dark sky contrasted perfectly with the scene in front of me.

I don't want to be here but I am required to. My family customs along with the press are the factors that led me here. Christian insisted that I attended because at some point the press would attack me for Darla's death.

Besides that and the fact that I must do the eulogy on my sister I would have stayed home. Lisabeth is holding my hand beside me. The poor kid didn't even cry when she heard her mother was dead.

I'm still hiding one important fact from all of them though. It haunts me every night and I know the only way I'll get peace is if i find out the truth. The whole truth.

The darkened sky started crying, showing it's mercy on me for having to come here. This is torture.

"Everything will be okay, baby." Christian whispered to me as my time was approaching to step on the makeshift stage. I squeezed his arm tightly in acknowledgement and shifted to stand under our umbrella.

Lisabeth hugged my leg sensing my unease and I let out a small sigh. I honestly cannot wait to get home.

The priest said something and glanced towards me. That was my cue. Christian patted my lower back gently and softly nudged me towards him.

I didn't even want to stand next to another man at this moment in time but I have to so I need to sick it up.

Holding my head high, I strode atop the makeshift stage with an umbrella in hand and I looked toward the large crowd. On one side is my sister's friends and my family and on the other was Darla's.

I'm surprised she even had friends. The harsh glares from her side toward me did not go unnoticed but I held back any feelings of unsureness of what I am about to say.

"Good evening, everyone. I'd like to thank everyone who came out. Mrs. Davison, that was a lovely eulogy." That I didn't hear to be honest.

"Unfortunately, I will not be giving the same heart warming speech. I came up here to do a eulogy of my sister, her life, her accomplishments but the problem is I really don't know my sister."

Mama gave me a look and I know that meant I was going to be in trouble after this. I took a deep breath.

"I am only doing this because it is mandatory in my family that the youngest living sibling do this. My sister and I had a great bond growing up but her heart was never in it. I am not here to bad mouth the dead, though. I am just here to speak the truth."

I had their attention now. Their faces mostly of confusion and wonder. I glanced at Lisabeth standing next to Chris and I knew I had to finish this.

"That was evident in what she did to me. The press was informed not to say anything because I want to tell you all myself."

I looked into the camera at the back of the entire service. The press as usual wanted to be a part of this because of the status that I now hold with my husband. I had no objections, I wanted them to see this.

"Lisa Santiago was involved in my kidnapping, torture and rape. My own sister. And I know some of you are going to come after me for saying this but so was Darla Davison. I only attended out of respect but I have no desire to be here today.

Darla tormented me from the moment she met me. The sly smile she gave me on the very first night we met made me realize that she thought she was better than me. The very next day she tried petty high school tactics on me.

She crashed my wedding and appeared at my husband's office one of those said times, security had to escort her out.

As for my sister, she watched everything that happened to me with a smile and then she went out like a coward. I am not God that I may judge but I do know they will pay for their transgressions and if that be hell so be it.

I am sorry if you all think of me as a heartless bitch after this but I have absolutely no compassion for these women. However their souls rest, let it be."

~~~~~~~~💍~~~~~~~~