Chapter 18: The Humphreys

Chloe:

We finally made it to Christian's house where his parents are. He called them a few minutes before we left the diner. It seems like they were really anxious to meet me.

So here I am freaking out. I have met Mrs Humphrey on a few occasions when she video chatted with Rachel but I doubt She remembers what I look like.

Christian grabbed my hand, "You'll be fine. Don't worry. Dad will love you. And I'm sure mom...mom will adjust." He sighed.

My eyes widened. "What!" He entwined our fingers. "Don't worry."

He opened the front door. He walked us into the living room where I saw two mature looking people sitting on the couch. The man looked like an older replica of Christian except for his eyes which were light brown.

The woman was more or less like Rachel with blond hair and crystal blue eyes. She was very beautiful, though you could see she had some age. They both sat next to each other looking very much in love.

I wonder if that'll be me and Christian someday. When we entered, the couple stood from their places and I noticed how Mrs Humphrey fixed the invisible wrinkles on her floral dress.

Christian smiled slightly at his parents who also smiled back. He hugged them both. "We've missed you, Chris." his mom said in a posh English accent.

"Your mother is right. I find it quite distressing that you didn't inform us of your proposal." Mr Humphrey scolded but I saw the way his eyes shone when he talked about the proposal.

They turned to me and I blushed. "Is this her?" Mrs Humphrey asked. Christian looked over his shoulder and smiled slightly wider than usual.

"Come here. Don't be shy." he told me softly. I quickly went to his side and placed his arm around my waist.

"Mom, dad, this is Chloe, my fiancée." he introduced me. I didn't miss the proudness in his voice.

"It's very nice to meet you Mr and Mrs Humphrey." I whispered and held my hand out for a handshake toward Mr Humphrey. He only looked at it.

And then.....

He pulled me into a hug. I squealed and I heard Christian chuckled. "Thank you." he whispered to me. When he pulled away, he held unto my shoulders.

"Aren't you just a sight to behold. You look quite young." he complimented. I blushed.

"I'm 20, sir." I mumbled. He glanced at his son then back to me.

"Call me Ryan." he smiled and finally let me go. I smiled back. Taking a step back, I turned to Mrs Humphrey. She assessed me with cold precision much like her son did the first time we met.

"May I have a word with you in the garden, dear Chloe?" she asked formally. I turned to Christian with wide fearful eyes.

His eyes softened on me and he nodded. He was reassuring me. Taking a deep breath, I turned back to Mrs Humphrey and smiled politely, "Of course, Mrs Humphrey."

She smiled at the guys. "We won't be long, dears." Then she started in a direction I've never went before in this house and I followed after her.

Her heels clicked against the tiled floor and her walk spoke confidence. She was absolutely beautiful. She was the type of woman I once was.

She led us out a back porch into a wonderfully well kept garden filled with so many different flowers but not one had a bad meaning.

All the flowers represent some type of love. It was breathtaking. "How did you meet my son, might I ask?" Mrs Humphrey asked.

"Rachel introduced us." I answered truthfully.

Mrs Humphrey hummed. "Did you know that Christian hand-planted each flower here in hopes that his future wife would walk through here one day?"

"Um..no. He didn't really mention that he had a garden to be honest."

"Hmm....Darla would have known that."

I wrinkled my nose as I watched her stoop to look at a white rose. "I'm sorry, who?"

"Don't mind about her. She's an ex." She brushed it off.

"Do you like flowers, Chloe?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Come here, look at this one." I stooped next to her and gasped. The white rose was even more beautiful up close. The petals looked so delicate.

I gingerly reached out and touched one of the petals gently. "Precioso." I whispered.

"Hmm...agreed. Just like you." I looked at Mrs Humphrey who had a blank look on. We both stood.

"The beautiful ones are dangerous. Darla was very beautiful but she left my son broken. He gave me that bullshit story but I know it's more deep than that. Are you going to do the same? Leave him broken?"

Her eyes pierced mine fiercely and I found a hint of disgust in her eyes.

"With all due respect, Mrs Humphrey, I am not this...Darla. I have no intention of hurting your son. I can assure you...he is safe with me." I whispered.

Her eyes bored into mine a little while longer before they finally softened. Kindness finally filled her gaze and then respect.

She smiled my way and embraced me. I hugged her back slowly. When she pulled away, she held my face between her hands. "Call me Lydia."

I smiled. "You have my mama's name." I commented.

She chuckled. "You're perfect for him. Take care of him. I know he might be a stubborn arse like his father sometimes but just put up with him. He'll come around."

I nodded. This woman is entrusting me with her son....I better be a good wife.

°~~~~~°💍°~~~~~°

Christian:

"You've got yourself quite the beauty there, son." Dad said after mom and Chloe disappeared around the corner.

I noticed how he'd also picked up the accent. I hummed and looked at him. "Let's go out on the balcony." I nodded.

"She's not white." Dad pointed out.

"I know." I said testily, "She's half black, half Hispanic. So what?"

"Nothing, Christian. I was just pointing it out. So you're into Spanish girls now."

My lip twitched at the side in an almost smile. "I guess so." I answers playing along with his silly game.

"She seems like a nice girl but she's so young. Still in college?"

My smile widened slightly. "Just graduated actually... She's been in college since she was 15."

At the corner of my eye, I saw dad look at me. "She's quite a little wiz isn't she?"

I chuckled, "You can say that."

At that exact moment, mom and Chloe came into view in the garden and stooped to look at a white rose. Dad and I looked on silently.

"What are her aspirations?" he said quietly.

"She wants to be a fashion designer/artist. She's really good."

I don't know what mom told Chloe or what my fiancée answered but soon mom was hugging her.

"Looks like Lydia approves." Dad said.

I hummed. Mom looked up and met my eyes and then so did Chloe. She smiled, her face turning red and her eyes shining.

"Go get here." Dad laughed. Without another word, I rushed down down the stairs and toward the garden.

•~~~~•~~~~•💍•~~~~•~~~~•