Chapter 42: Surprise

Christian:

"I know that Roger but he's a suspect as well." I growled as I walked pass the receptionist. She was trying to get my attention but I waved her off and entered my private elevator.

"I know how you feel Christian. We all want to protect her. It's hard enough that she has to deal with your psycho ex-girlfriend and her lunatic ex-boyfriend. I don't want her sick ex-friend to be part of this too."

I groaned, "Don't remind me Rog. I know you told me Jake isn't a threat but still keep an eye on him."

"Will do. Tell Chloe we said hi and we'll come see her soon and tell Rachel we need to talk."

My eyes widened at that. What's going on between those two? "I'll tell them." I replied before I cut the call. The elevator stopped and as the door opened I got a whiff of a very familiar perfume.

Glass green eyes stared back at me and confusion got the best of me. "Chloe?" I call as I walked out but not really going toward her.

"Hi Christian." she whispered almost scared. The way she used my full name alarmed me as she rarely ever did anymore.

"Why are you here, baby?" I hesitantly asked as I got closer to her. I stood right in front her now, the desk being the only thing to separate us.

She frowned, "Aren't you happy to see me?"

"Of course I am, baby but you came here, unannounced and you used my first name."

"You have a very rude receptionist." she replied and stood up. She walked over to the window wall and I followed her there.

Holding unto her arm, I turned her to look at me and that is when I saw what was in her eyes. Fear. Hesitation. Excitement. Worry.

They were all going through her. I held her face in my hands and kissed her gently. She wasted no time responding and then something wet hit my face.

I pulled away to see her crying and she lifted a small blue box to me. Confused but figuring out it has to do with her behavior I took it.

"Open it." she choked out. Her nervous energy was getting to me so I opened the box and my heart literally stopped.

My eyes widened as I looked up to her and then back to the box. Two lines. Two fucking lines! Excitement began to build up in me and I felt tears come to my eyes.

She's pregnant. My sweet girl is pregnant. "Are you mad at me?" her soft voice asked after the long silence. I set the box on the window ledge and held her face.

Her fear filled eyes told me all I needed to know. She was scared of what I would do. I can't really blame her, I am known for being unpredictable.

I smiled warmly at her, "How can I get mad at you?" A laugh bubbled out of me and I pulled her into a bear hug.

She immediately grabbed the back of my suit jacket and breath out deeply. "I was so scared. We said now wasn't the..." She started but I shushed her.

"It's okay baby. It's no one's fault. It's happened and there's nothing we can do about it except play this out." I told her truthfully.

Pulling away, I cupped her cheek and pressed my lips to her forehead. "I love you and I want this with you. I don't care if we start a family today or ten years from now. I know it's different from what I said a few weeks ago but trust me okay?"

She nodded and gave me one of her heart stopping smiles. "I love you." She whispered.

"I love you too, baby."

•~~~~~•💍•~~~~~•

Chloe:

"You need more guards." Christian stated making me stop in my tracks. We were getting ready for bed and he'd been out of it all day.

Putting the brush down, I looked at him through our bathroom mirror silently telling him to explain.

"Henry and Gerald aren't gonna cut it anymore." he started, leaning against the door frame. "I'm going to install cameras inside the house. I'll call Roger and let him send his best security guards. I have connections in the police department as well so I can get them to surveil our house."

I sighed, guilt starting to eat at me. I was already taking up so much of Gerald and Henry's time, I don't want to be a burden to anyone else.

"Is that really necessary?" I mumbled and turned to face him. He gave me a sharp look.

"Of course it is. It's only a matter of time before it gets out that you're pregnant and what do you think Mike's next move will be? He's proven to be a serious threat to you time and time again."

"I know, you don't have to remind me. I just feel bad that so much people will have to give up their time just to protect me. I'm fine with Henry and Gerald. And Rachel knows how to use a gun."

I ran a hand through my hair out of sheer nervousness. "I know you carry a gun also, Chris." I mumbled as my eyes met his intense ones.

"Teach me how to use one." The moment the words left my mouth his eyes turned to the steel I'd first seen when I met him.

"Absolutely not!" he hissed, the veins in his arms standing up. "You said it yourself; Henry, Gerald, Rachel and I all know how to use a gun but I need more people to protect you still. It's not just you anymore."

My irritation spiked but I took a deep breath and tried to talk to him calmly. "Chris, please. This will be good for me. I can't just let everyone protect me. I need to be able to protect myself as well. Teach me to use a gun."

He grunted and took two large steps towards me. "Fuck, Chloe! I said no!" he sneered.

"Why not?" I asked lowly, feeling my anger about to bubble out. Chris and I never had a fight before but I feel one coming right now.

"Are you fucking serious?!" he yelled making me take a step back and clutch the vanity counter.

His eyes went down to my still flat stomach, "You are carrying our baby. My baby! You're fucking nuts if you think I'm letting you near a fucking gun."

"I just want to be able to protect myself, Christian." I replied in a clipped tone before looking away from him. He's being irrational.

Why can't he see I can help? I can't continue to let everyone fight my battles. I have to stand up to Mike if he ever gets close to me again. I have to!

"You have me and the guys to do that for you, little girl. You just need to let us do it." he,retorted sternly, resting his hands on my waist.

"I'm not a fucking kid! I can handle myself! I used to be different before Mike! I can never be like that again but I don't want to be defenseless if Mike does get to me."

Christian gave me a warning squeeze. "Watch your fucking language and my answer is final. The backlash from a gun can hurt the baby and not to mention, you."

"Oh fuck you, Christian. I don't want you touching me, go sleep in the guest room." I scowled and pushed out of his hold.

I felt slightly bad that my anger controlled me like that but I wasn't sorry. I think it's about time I start speaking up for myself again. What I told Christian is true, I'll never be the same girl from years ago but I need to be able to fight my own battles again.

Laying in our bed, I mumbled a goodnight and pulled the sheets over me. I turned off the lights and tried to sleep but I could still tell Christian was in the room.

"Baby, you can't be serious." I heard him whisper. I pretended not to hear and waited until I heard the door click.

•~~~~•~~~~•💍•~~~~•~~~~•