Chapter 16: Chloe's Past...well Part of It

Christian:

"What?" Lydia whispered.

"Who?" I asked calmly. Rachel brought Chloe back to the couch and sat her down. She immediately brought her knees to her chest and started to rock back and forth.

"I'm sorry, Lydia but her first years in college weren't all that great." Rachel sighed and ran a hand through her hair.

"We met this guy, after Chloe broke things off with Neron. He was a bit charming but way too old for her. That didn't stop her. After her sixteenth birthday, she moved in with him. Things were great for a while until he realized that Chloe wasn't about losing her virginity unless she got married. After that, I started to realized suspicious bruises appearing on her skin. She always had some excuse too. To sum it up I found out and because he had connections with the police and Chloe was considered a minor still, we couldn't do anything about it. He verbally and physically abused her."

Her voice cracked at the end and I saw a tear fall from her face. Chloe was all out sobbing. "She made me swear not to tell you Lydia. She went to Therapy for two years to get over the whole flinching thing. Her nightmares stopped within the first year and so did her panic attacks. They just recently started to come back."

Looking over at Chloe, I couldn't help but feel as though she needed my comfort. So I did. I subtly pulled her on my lap. She tensed at first but soon cuddled onto my chest and closed her eyes.

Everyone watched on with surprise as I ran my hand through her hair, soothing her. "You still didn't answer my question, Ray." I grumbled.

"Who?" That one word made tension fog the air. After a very long pause and my intense eyes on her she finally cracked.

"Mike..um ...I mean Michael Nixon. He was put behind bars for what he did to her but I'm not sure how long for. As soon as Chlo heard that he was found guilty, she left the courtroom."

Lisa looked at Rachel with wide eyes. "Michael Nixon." she whispered. "He's not in Jail anymore."

Lydia looked at her daughter in questioning. Lisa sighed, "Mike is Lisabeth's father."

Chloe immediately looked at her. She didn't say anything and glanced at her sleeping niece. She started sobbing harder and pressed her face into my chest.

I took deep breaths, trying to control my anger but nothing helped.

"Why the fuck did you keep this from her family Rachel!?" I snapped at my sister. Chloe jumped but gripped my shirt tighter.

Rachel glared my way, "Don't fucking start Christian! You're the one that that triggered all this in the first place! If you'd just left her alone..."

"Stop right there!" I growled. She shut up instantly and I felt Chloe trying to move away from me. I glanced at her.

She quickly crawled to the other side of the couch. Tears streamed down her face, her eyes were filled with fear.

My eyes softened slightly. "Hey..." I drawled and reached forward but I took back my hand as soon as she whimpered. Something shot through me.

She breathe heavily and hiccupped but still didn't move from her spot. Anger shot through my veins. Anger for myself. I did this to her.

Without sparing her another glance, I got up and stormed out of the house. I need to clear my fucking head.

•~~~~~•💍•~~~~~•

Chloe:

I curled myself into a ball after Christian left and just shut down. How could I have not seen it. Lisabeth was the splitting image of that monster.