Chapter 11 - Dead End

***

Danielle's P.O.V

Here I was once again, waking up in the hospital bed. I slowly lifted my heavy eyelids and looked around an empty room. I noticed I had an oxygen mask attached to my face, tearing it off and threw it to the floor. My eyes immediatley shut. I heard the thumbing of my heart, beating at a slower pase each minute. I forced my dark orbs to open, seeing the injections in my arm and a large bloody bandage around my wrist. My lungs felt as if they were shrinking, causing my breathing to become faint. I pulled myself up from the bed and sat up staring out the window. I could feel myself getting weaker and weaker by the second. Every breath became shortened. The beat of my heart changed from two slow beats to one beat at a time. I looked down at myself, now skin and bones, pale white and near to death. This wasn't supposed to happen. I wasn't supposed to end up like this. I was supposed to get better. At this point I could feel my body crumbling from the inside, out. I stood up, weak in the knees.

"Dani?" Luke peeked his head through the crack of the door. I collapsed to the floor, surprised to see him. Luke gasped and quickly made his way over to me, picking my up like I was nothing and placing me back onto the bed. Just by looking at Luke's face gave me the urge to cry. I loved him, even though he broke my heart. I'll never get the chance to tell him. I held Luke's face with my cold hand, shaking from the lack of blood flow in them. He removed my hand from his face and entwined his large, warm fingers in mine. My eyelids soon became too heavy for me to physically open. The last thing I saw was making eye contact with Luke's bright blue orbs. My head dozed off to the side, facing the opposite side of Luke.

"No, no. Danielle!" I could sense Luke's panic. "Dani, don't leave me!" He's voice began to fade. A tear streamed down my face, feeling guilty I was leaving him this way.

"Danielle! Please..." Luke broke into a sob. "No!" He knew I was dying. Clenching my hand, Luke brought it up to his lips and pressed a kiss upon it.

"I'm so sorry, Dani." He paused. "I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you when you needed me most." I slightly frowned at his words.

"Instead of telling you how much I love you, I'm apologizing to you for letting you slip through my fingers." I couldn't help, but also break into a sob as I listened to Luke's broken heart. I felt my toes become cold, rushing up my body as I began to fade away. My head dropped, not being able to hold it up any longer.

"NO! DANI...PLEASE!" Luke cried.

I now stood at the end of the bed, looking at Luke; embracing my dead body.

"You're gone..." Luke came to realize. I glanced at my cold, dead self in Luke's arms as he sobbed.