Chapter 21 - Amnesia

Liz' P.O.V

About 4-5 hours after Luke and Danielle had left for their date I got a phone call from Calum.  I let the phone ring twice and picked up.

"Hello?"  It was very rare for Calum or any of the boys to call me unless they needed something.  There was nothing but silence and the sound of what seemed like someone sobbing in the background.

"Liz..."  Calum didn't sound like himself.  "Um...Luke and Dani got - eh, into an accident..."  My stomach flipped and turned, now feeling the biggest fear I've ever felt.  Calum told me every single detail about the accident.  He told me everything there was to know.  I was completely devastated and understood why there was loud sobbing in the background.  Just when I thought her life couldn't get any worse.  I shook my head.

"Luke has amnesia..."  Calum choked up and I could hear him fight off the emotions washing through him.  My phone slipped through my fingers and onto the floor.  I couldn't move from the shock I was in.  Uncontrollable tears slid down my face as I ran around the house, looking for my car keys and heading straight to the hospital.

***

I popped my head in the door of the hospital room.  The scene was horrific.  Danielle was curled up into Calum's chest, sobbing her out her worn out orbs.  Dark circles circled around Danielle's eyes.  Her long hair was messy and frizzy.  Dani's face was wounded with scratches and bandages from the accident.  Her arms and legs were marked with bruises as well.

"I shouldn't have let him drive..."  Danielle couldn't control her breathing from the heavy sobbing.  "I should have driven!"  her pain reflected onto me.  I entered the room and found Luke's bright blue orbs locked on me. 

"Mum!"  Everyone stopped and stared, even Danielle held in her sobs.

"He remembers you..."  Said Danielle, under her breath.  I was the only one he remembered. 

"Oh, Luke!"  I sat on the hospital bed with him and embraced his weak, aching body.  I looked at him in sorrow. 

"Mum?"  Asked Luke as we glanced around the room.

"Yes, hun?"  I weakly smiled.

"Why are all these people in here and why am I in a hospital?"  Luke had his eyes on Danielle.  She let go of Calum and wiped the tears off her face.

"This is all my fault."  Huffed Danielle, looking at me and back at Luke.

"No, it's not Dani-"

"Yes! Yes, it is my fault. I let him get away."  She crossed her arms and walked back and forth as her orbs become glossy.  "I am so, so sorry..."  Danielle marched out of the room.

"Dani!"

***

Danielle's P.O.V

I am the biggest fuck up that ever lived. Everything and anything is my fault.  I nearly killed the person I love.  But you know what's worse?  Luke doesn't remember me.  After all, we've been through, he doesn't remember me.  What is the point of being here when I mean absolutely nothing to Luke?  I have no meaning.  I never belonged here.  I was born to die.  Just when I thought my life was getting better it came crashing down like it always does.  I simply can't be happy.  My life is a nightmare and I've had enough.

"Dani!"  Liz and Calum caught up behind me.  I couldn't even look at them without feeling guilty.

"I need to go."  I needed to go home. I'm useless here.

"What? What do you mean?" Calum stopped me from reaching the door and pinned me against the wall.  I squeezed my eyes shut.

"The longer I stay here, the more I'll fuck things up."  A tear slipped from my eye.  I sunk my lips into my mouth as I opened my glossy orbs to Calum looking like he had been shot.  He removed his hands from my shoulders and took a step back.

"Danielle, you're not a fuck-up." 

"Bullshit!"  I spat. 

"Dani just lis-"

"Calum! I am a fuck-up. I don't have a family, I'm homeless, poor; I'm useless and worthless. I cut, I cry, I lie and I just want to die."  I spoke nothing but the truth.  Liz stood behind Calum and placed her hand over her mouth as she held back tears.  I pressed my back against the wall and slid down to the floor.  I clenched my legs to my body and held myself as I sobbed.  The image of me doing the exact same thing behind the tour buses, where I first met Luke came back to me. I cried harder at the memory of him and knowing he would never carry the same memories we ever shared together.  Calum kneeled down next to me and patted my knee.  He tried so hard to keep it together, not wanting to break in front of me.  Liz and Calum tried convincing me that I needed to stay, that I have a meaning and I have a role to be played.  I am still here, but Luke isn't.

"What good am I to Luke when he's gone? When I am just a stranger to him?"  I asked.  There was nothing but silence for what felt like an eternity.  "That's what I thought..."  I stood up and burst through the doors.

As I walked down the street I surprisingly remembered how to get to Liz' house where I have left all my belongs.  I tore off my hospital gown and threw it in my opposite direction, now in my bra and underwear; not giving a single fuck.  I have ruined my life.  Just by one mistake, just by letting Luke slip through my fingers I destroyed everyone and everything.

***

Once I got to Liz' house the front door was still open and let myself in.  I made my way to Luke's room.  I opened the door of his room to the scent of him.  His bed was still a mess from just this morning.  It was exactly the way we left it.  He loved me this morning.  I meant something to him this morning and now, almost midnight I am a complete nobody to him.  I sat on his bed and took his first ever album off of his side table.  I scanned the album and thought how ironic it was that Luke had a song called "Amnesia" and he now has this illness that can possibly be cured over time.  Possibly be cured over time.  I thought to myself.  Could I cure him over time?

***

"DANIELLE?!"  The voice of Liz echoed through the house.  I could hear her stumbling her way to Luke's room.  Liz leaned against the door to catch her breath. 

"Dani..." 

"Yes?"  I lifted my chin up high, taking a deep breath.

"Do you really love Luke?"  Asked Liz.

"Yes, of course!"  I didn't lie.  I will never love someone as much as I love Luke.  My love for him is endless, no matter how much it hurts to love him because he gave me that love and care that I needed.  He gave me a life and slowly taught me how to live again.  I owe him everything. 

"If you really do love Luke, you'd stay.  You would stand by his side no matter how much of a pain it is just like he did for you."  My mouth hung open at her words.  She was correct.

"Luke never gave up on you because you were worth it, you meant more than something to him and he loved you dearly.  Please do not give up him if you feel the same way he did."  I got up off his bed and pulled Liz into a hug. 

"I'm not leaving,"  I said into her shoulder. "You're right.  Your son did more than enough for me and now it's my turn to cure him the same way he cured me."  I plastered a smile onto Liz's face as her blue orbs remained glossy.

"Thank you."  She cleared a tear slipping down her face with the back of her hand.

"No, thank you."  I weakly smiled.