Chapter 16 - Taking a Chance

***

I laid there in bed at 5:30 in the morning, not being able to go back to sleep from too many thoughts. I stared at the ceiling and had the urge to go back home. One month of being away from home was something I've never done before. The thought of my sister bounced off the walls of my mind and continued to bother me. It hurt me to think that I wanted to know how my sister was doing, but she probably didn't even care if I were dead, alive or where I was at this point. Snapping out of the thought I glanced at Luke, sound asleep beside me. His scruffy, dirty blonde hair spread along the white pillow and seemed like he had to feel asleep smiling, noticing a crooked smile on his face. His smile is contagious and I absolutely love it. I pulled myself out of bed and pressed a gentle kiss to Luke's cheek. I got dressed, packed all my very little belongings and grabbed a notepad and pen.

"Dear Luke," I wrote. "I'm so sorry to leave this way, but I feel like I need to go back home for a while. I don't know how long I'll be, but I need to visit my sister. I miss her. She's the only family I've got left and I need to catch up with her. I hope you understand. Thank you for every you've done for me. I believe I'll be taking the bus to the airport. I love you so much and if you need anything call my home phone number" and put down my number.

"Love,

Danielle :) xx"

I frowned as my eyes laid upon him, knowing I'll miss him. I leaned over the bed and gave him one last kiss on the forehead, not kissing him on the lips because possibly waking him up. I snuck downstairs slowly step by step, not wanting to wake the boys. I left the note on the fridge because I knew that's where the boys would head to first. I silently giggled to myself as I walked passed a picture frame of Luke and I. His long, muscular arm around my shoulders. I made a silly face while Luke pretended to lick my cheek with his eyes shut closed. I glanced at the photo for what seemed like 5 minutes. I took a look at the clock. It was 6:00AM and the bus leaves at 6:15 to the airport. I panicked and dragged my purse of my few belongings and made a run for the door, accidentally causing it to slam shut loudly. I pushed open the gate around the large house with my bum and didn't even bother to close it. I full on sprinted to the bus stop and looked down at the watch Luke had given me that was once his. 6:13AM it was and I was still about 5 minutes away. My heart raised as my breathing became heavy and short. In the distance, I could see people boarding the bus. I forced my legs to run faster, regardless of the throbbing pain I had in my thighs.

"Wait!" I shouted as the bus driver was about to close the door. I have seemed to stun the female driver as I ran in front of the bus and basically dived into the door.

***

7:30AM

Once I finally made it to the airport I paid for my plane ticket back to Toronto. I had some money left that Luke had lent me, which I didn't want to receive but took it anyway for my sake. I sat there waiting in one of the terminals for my flight that took off at 8:15AM. I completely zoned out as a flashback came into my mind of the day I left my home to go on a 1-hour walk far from my sister to get away from her.

*Flashback*

"What the hell are those cuts?" Andrea seemed disgusted as she looked down at my wrist. I pulled my sleeve up quickly has my heart skipped a beat.

"I-um...I fell..." I obviously lied, not being able to look at Andrea straight into her glossy blue orbs. She had my mother's blue eyes, so clear and beautiful. Andrea was always the better sister, the much prettier one as well. She's tall, about 5'10, fit and simply gorgeous with long, curly brown locks...and then there's me. There's always that one sister who is the complete opposite of the other and I'm one, unfortunately, one of them. I have dull brown orbs so dark you can see your own reflection and wavy light brown hair that reached my elbows. I'm short, stuck down here at 5'5 and I'm awfully thin. Too thin actually. I didn't eat much, thinking I wouldn't stay thin if I did.

"Why are you lying to me?!" Andrea seemed furious. I sighed, she knows me a little too well. "Why do you cut? Are you like emo or something?" She joked but offended me. I had the urge to either punch her in the face or burst into tears. I wanted to say a lot but kept my mouth shut. I couldn't even look at her.

"What's wrong with you dude?" Andrea slammed her cup on the table causing me to jump and flinch away from the table. I thought about what she said. Too many things were wrong with me that I didn't know how to answer her question.

"Why won't you talk to me, bitch?!" Bitch? Really? I've had enough. Andrea was always the one that put me down, ruined my day and made me feel like a worthless piece of shit while I didn't even talk to her unless she talked to me first. Whatever is say is wrong and whatever I do is wrong as well. I can't do anything right, nor make her somewhat happy. Andrea has a pretty face, but an ugly personality. I looked up at her from the corner of my eye and raised my right hand to her face. Before I could slap the living shit out of her she grabbed me roughly by the wrist and twisted it, causing my to whimper. Anger and pain washed through me and all I wanted to do was to physically hurt her as much as she mentally hurt me. I snatched the glass of water from the table and broke it against Andrea's head. My mouth hung open and realized what I've just done. The top of her head started to bleed uncontrollably as she stared down at me, giving me a death stare. At the time I didn't even feel sorry. It felt good to see a perfect person suffer for once. Andrea gripped my hair and pulled on, dragging me to the kitchen sink. Her grip was too tight and strong for me to escape. She shoved my face into the sink and turned on the tap. Andrea held my head down, causing me to drown. I swarmed, kicked and screamed for oxygen. Finally, I kicked her leg making her fall backward into a chair. I pulled out a knife from the drawer and held it to her neck. I couldn't control what I was doing and nothing was going to stop me.

"You make my life a living hell..." I sharply whispered. "You're a rude, slutty, selfish, spoiled little brat." I wasn't holding anything back. Now is the time.

"You are the perfect sister that gets all the boy attention and everyone is so in love with your dumb-ass fake personality and gorgeous face." I waved the knife around, looking at it and back at Andrea. She seemed beyond pissed off and also terrified. Before a word even slipped from her lips I touched the skin of her neck with the blade of the knife.

"Why are you so rude to me, huh?" My eyes darted for her big blue orbs.

"I never talk to you and when I do, you're nothing but a bitch to me!" I snapped. Blood, sweat, and tears slipped down Andrea's face. I pulled away, along with the knife and sat down next to her. "You're the only family I have left and we can't even look at each other.' Andrea sat there, out cold; glancing at the floor.

"I-I um...-"

"Forget it!" I cut her off, sick of hearing her bullshit. I got up and shoved the knife back in the drawer. I stomped my way over to the door.

"Where are you going?" Andrea's voice came out softer than she expected. I didn't bother answering her question and smashed the door behind me.

*End of flashback*

"Flight to Toronto at 8:30AM leaves in 5 minutes" the announcement snapped me out of it. I gather my belongings and got in line to board the plane.