Chapter 20

"He's not awake." Hunter rested his elbow on the table and his chin on his palm. His eyes were dull, but he felt pleasantly surprised that his parents were okay with his mate.

"What time does he start college?" Margo asked.

"Eleven." It wasn't even nine in the morning, but Jacob was usually awake by now.

"Okay, We'll pick him up outside college and take him here."

Hunter didn't like the sound of that. Jacob was very timid and he struggled to meet new people. They would overwhelm him for sure. "Are you certain that this is the best thing to do?"

"Well it's not like your methods of doing things have worked so far has it?" Anthony watched his son scowl in his direction.

"I know I fuc-"

"Don't you dare swear in this house," Margo hushed. "And yes, it is best if we attempt to settle things for your mate. He needs to know how important this is."

* * * * *

Jacob was woken up at ten in the morning. He surprised himself for sleeping in so late. Jacob knew the bond might have something to do with it. Now that he knew he wasn't going insane with the voice in his head, he somehow managed to relax at night. There was something oddly comforting about Hunter's subconscious thoughts, lingering in the back of his mind. Jacob didn't feel so alone.

When he was up and dressed, he sat down for breakfast and tried hard to ignore the unbearable throbbing in his chest.

"Good morning," Hunter's voice boomed in his head, almost making him jump.

"Morning," Jacob replied.

"I have a bit of a problem."

Jacob stopped chewing and frowned. Scott was sitting opposite, watching him from over the top of his coffee cup. "What is it?"

"My parents know about you. But it's fine, they don't hate me. Well actually... they hate me for keeping it a secret from you for half a year."

"I hate you for that too."

"I know, and I'm sorry, but they now want you to ditch college and come to mine so they can talk to you about it."

Jacob put down his toast and crossed his arms. He stared at the table, engrossing himself into the conversation. "I can't ditch college."

"You might have to. They're very persistent. Don't worry, nobody will know."

Jacob glanced at his dad who smiled.

"Are you okay, son? We need to go in five minutes," Scott said.

Jacob nodded. "How?" he replied to Hunter.

"Well, when you go to college, tell your brother that you're going to the toilet. Wait until after the bell and then come outside, I'll be waiting for you."

Jacob knew that would work because William would have gone to class and his dad would have gone to work. "Fine." His nerves tickled his insides when he thought about meeting Hunter's parents.

"Don't stress about them, I won't let them interrogate you."

That didn't help. Jacob picked his toast back up and thought about what he would be missing in college.

"How're you feeling today? I feel horrible."

"Me too." Jacob's head felt like it was going to explode. His skin even felt sore and sensitive like he was getting a fever.