Chapter 67

Hunter watched the fire brigade point their hoses at his charcoal home, trying to put out the remaining embers of the flames. Everything was gone or at least somewhat burnt.

The front wall had completely collapsed, exposing what was once the living area and the kitchen.

An ambulance had arrived to aid Vic and his pack. Nobody was seriously injured but some needed to go to the hospital to get stitches. The police were also here to take statements and arrest the humans who first attempted to scorch the house. The human who Jacob caught had also been arrested. They were going to let the police do what they had to do with them and if any were released, they would deal with them privately.

"I guess, you'll get to see our old home sooner than we thought," Hunter sighed. He was sitting on the grass with everyone else because there was nothing for them to do.

The emergency services were taking charge of everything, so all that they could do was watch the smoke twist and turn, spoiling the clear blue sky.

Jacob pulled at the grass and tried hard to suppress a storm from brewing. Today's forecast is supposed to be sunny. He needed to stick to the schedule of the weather. He had already started a commotion over the past few days because of the constant thunder and lightning.

"What does your old home look like?" He asked quietly. He was going to apologise for not catching the humans sooner but it wasn't his fault. He had to stop blaming himself for things that couldn't be helped.

"It's big," Hunter watched him instead of his home crumbling to the ground. "Well, it'll be much bigger now that the extension is almost done. There are five bedrooms, all with en-suite bathroom. There's a huge garden that links to a field. Um... it's three stories which will be weird getting used to after living in a studio for so long."

"I'll be around every day," Sam beamed.

"You're around every day anyway," Hunter watched him and they were both still wondering about Zac. Was he in danger? Was he with werewolf hunters? Have they caught him and interrogated him?

"I think it's time we find out," Jacob was listening to his thoughts and he just wanted this to be over and done with. "I don't like feeling on edge."

"Me neither," Margo's soulful eyes were full of deep despair. "I think we should wait until the emergency services are gone first."

They told the police that they didn't know why anyone would want to burn their house down and they hardly expected the werewolf hunters to admit who they really are.

It was an issue that the authorities did not need to mingle with.

* * * * *

Anthony kicked his feet through the rubble and spotted a family picture. Half of the members had been burnt out of it. He sighed and took one more look around, trying to find anything that he could save but there was nothing.

"Come on Margo, Let's go," He took his wife's hand and squeezed it tight. She had tears in her eyes but followed him, no longer wanting to look at the state her humble abode was in.

Nathan stood with Scott and they both looked incredibly serious.

"Was this down to my parents?" Nathan asked quietly. He was livid by how close his son was to being injured.

"Yes, unfortunately."

That was all Nathan needed to hear as he stormed over to Hunter.

"If you're planning to go back to my parent's house, I'm coming with you." Hunter opened his mouth but Nathan hushed him. "I haven't seen them since I was eighteen. I don't feel anything towards them, especially now. They don't belong here anymore."