05: His True Identity

"You traitor!"

"You traitor!"

Those were the first words Lian heard the moment she entered the Institute's gateway. She believed her best friend had been preparing her speech the entire time she waited for her to arrive.

"Good morning Rylie! How's Hong Kong?," she happily asked, pulling Rylie towards the main building.

"Don't start Liandra, you didn't even bother to call or text me when I clearly told you to! I was dying to know what happened last Friday and you—ugh, my trust in you has been tarnished!"

As usual, she's exaggerating.

"My charger broke and my phone's dead since Saturday afternoon," she explained. It was the fourth charger that gave up on her this year alone and her third pair of earphones is on the brink of its death too. She just doesn't go well with wires. She should start buying wireless ones from now on.

"That's not an excuse at all, how about in the morning?," Rylie crossed her arms and sassily looked at her. This made her sigh, she can't just escape her no?

"I received so many messages that day my brain almost stopped functioning so I thought, I'll just go to work first and reply later. But my phone died on me." Of course, she left out the fact that it's only her she didn't get to send a reply to. Rylie didn't say anything at first, she's sure she is contemplating if she'll just forget about it or not.

They arrived in front of their lockers and Lian gingerly opened hers while her best friend leaned against the one beside it.

"Okay I'll—wait a minute... is that a new ring?," Rylie loudly gasped and even stepped back. Again, she's just extra like that.

"You're making it seem like it's such a big deal Ryle," she chuckled while organizing her books.

"It is! Because it's really pretty and... wait, is this an engagement ring? Holy—you're engaged? Is this your brother's diabolical plan all along?! He forced you to marry one of his gang mates that's why he picked you up that day!"

Lian closed her locker before repeatedly bumping her head against it. What is she going to do with this girl? "Can you stop being so loud please? And for the hundredth time Rylie Nicola, stop reading fanfictions!"

The girl just shrugged, "I just need drama in my life. God, it's so boring in this place. What will I tell my children ten years from now?"

"At least they will fall asleep in an instant," she giggled earning a glared from her companion. "You want drama?," she then breathed out. She actually planned telling her later at lunch break but they still have time to spare now, so why not?

Rylie's eyebrows raised in intrigue as she stood up straight, looking directly into her best friend's eyes. "What is it? Why do I feel like you're hiding something from me," she asked.

Lian looked around, searching for a place where there are less people. She found a lone vacant bench at the end of the hallway—where there is almost no one around—and pulled Rylie towards it. They took the said seat and she started telling her what truly happened over the weekend.