[Five: I'm Just A Friend]

"We are resourceful ancient creatures with primitive instincts."

CHAPTER 5

I left Esme and Edward upstairs. I sensed to see if there was anyone else but came up with nothing.
Once downstairs in his office more like his lab.
"So what do you want to discuss."
"Well you should be aware that you being here triggers something in the Quileute tribe." I told Carlisle.
"No I'm not aware of what our presence has on them."
"You, vampires, are a trigger to them. You just being here makes their ancestral gene of the wolves come to light. Even if you aren't a threat, their gene sense you and that causes a shift." I told him everything.
I didn't realize that I've told him everything.
"Shit. I didn't mean to tell you that. I'm just so mad. Pissed in fact because those poor boys and girl are going to be in so much pain because of you."
I told him realizing the error I made telling him a tribe secret.
"Don't worry I won't say anything." Was all he said.
"Alright thanks a lot."
"So is that all you wanted to tell me?"
"No, there's also the matter of the Volturi. You used to be with Aro right?"
Carlisle shifted in his seat before he spoke.
"Yes I used to work with him, but I left and started this coven. I started my family."
"I see. I have to ask you a very serious question and do not lie to me." I told him my voice shaking and my anger almost taking over.
"What is it?"
"Were you involved in my species attempted genocide. The Volturi called us the ultimate abomination, a threat to vampires."
Carlisle let out a sigh. My anger already boiling by the action.
"No I didn't participate. Aro's action were the last straw for me leaving his coven. I didn't know it was your kind he wiped out." Carlisle looked like he was on the verge of tears.
But I laughed at his reaction.
"You think he wiped us out? We can heal from a sever injury, even a fatal wound. Us chameleons can be disemboweled, decapitated, hell we could have our hearts ripped out and we'll still survive. All we need is time and for the sake of a missing limb or head we just need it to be attacked close to the body. Our cells can't die." I burdened out.
Carlisle seeming shocked replied with " Than why'd you ask?"
"To see if you were involved. That's all."
"Oh was this a revenge kind of thing?"
"Kinda yea. So do you have any questions for me?"
"I do. If you say your cells never die even if you don't have a brain how can you survive and be you after the part is reattached?"
"Should've guessed it was going to be a biological question." I told him while rolling my eyes.
He just gave me a look telling me he was serious.
"Alright. Well we aren't ourselves when our heads are initially reattached but over time we get our memories back. Our dead and damaged brain cells are repaired."
"That's fascinating also regarding the fact of your cells how do one of you die?"
Carlisle had a sort of interested look in his eyes.
"That can be easy, if you burn us to nothing but ash. Anything that can completely make us to nothing." I told him while looking to see what his reaction was.
"I see and can you not conjure up fangs when you're a vampire. I find it offensive." He replied while giving me a look a parent would give to a child.
"Sorry but that's how I've always seen vampires." I chuckled.
I got up signaling that the conversation was over.
We walked up the steps but Carlisle stopped me before we got upstairs.
"Why are you interested of the Volturi and me?"
"To see if the time comes I could put you in charge once I overthrow the Volturi. You'd make a fine leader or I could just enslave all vampires." I said in a sly voice. A smirk of our evil sliding over my face.
I continued to the living room and sat down.
"Where's Alice?" I asked Edward.
"How should I know?" He huffed while leaving the room.
"Moody. Who got his non existent fangs up in a twist." I said under my breath.
"I heard that!" Edward screamed.
I took that as my cue to leave.
"Bye everyone. Loved the talk Carlisle. I'll be back soon. And Edward hope you enjoy Alaska." With that I walked out.
I heard someone jump down to me.
"How'd you know I was going to Alaska?" Edward asked me as he was looking at my eyes trying to read my thoughts.
"I saw it. I'm not Alice I could see the filter and all the possible outcomes. Only knowing what the sure path is once a decision is made. And Edward, honey I could see that you already are choosing to run. It'll be good for you trust me." I gave him a smile and cupped his face.
Leaning up I kissed his cheek.
"Just come back." I told him as I got into my car.
"No promises but thank you for the sympathy." Edward told me with a slightly shocked but happy tone.
The whole way home I thought of why I kissed him. Still feeling his icy skin on my lips.
Author's Note
Hope you enjoyed. Feeling like showing Marie's slight affection towards Edward and how she still cares for him as a good friend.
Hope you enjoyed Marie's and Carlisle's little talk. Also we learned more about the chameleons.