[Fifteen: Everyone is Safe]

"I do not choose to freely lie. I lie to protect my family."

Chapter 15
The ride to school was quiet. Edward was driving carefully since there was black ice on the roads.
"You already know what the people think about me cause I hang out with you guys. The irresistible Cullens, that don't outsiders in. Edward Cullen, the one who has never dated any of them. Marie Gevaudan the new student with ties to the tribe. The only one that has been successfully talked and befriended the Cullens." I said breaking the silence.
Edward just laughed. "Yea I know. If only they knew the truth, they wouldn't be thinking that."
We had arrived and I felt everyone look at our cars.
"Well hopefully their reactions are priceless." Edward said as we got out.
Instantly everyone was looking at us.
"Told you." I thought to edward.
He was however fixated on Bella.
I touch his arm as we go over to Emmett's Jeep. This snapped him out of his thoughts.
"I can take your sense of smell away." I told him.
"No I need to get over this on my own."
I just nodded.
The sound of tires screeching took my attention away.
Tyler was trying to stop but the break, but the black ice didn't help. He was heading straight to Bella. I took off trying to save her, but Edward got there right before me. He had pushed the car away and was holding Bella.
I gave him a shocked look and he looked shocked at what he had done.
Tyler was trying to apologize to Bella, but she seemed to be shocked at what just happened.
Edward had hopped over and was walking towards his car to leave.
"Hey! Edward stop." I yelled over at him.
"I just messed up." Edward said as he took a glance back at the accident.
People had swarmed around Bella.
"No one saw you. I know that. Everyone was focused on the almost crash. Bella hit her head alright so let's head over to the hospital and talk with your dad. Alright?"
Edward just nodded.
So much for a first day back.
I got into the car with Edward and drove to the hospital.
We walked over to Carlisle's office so we can tell him what Edward did.
"Carlisle I messed up." Edward said as we bursted into his office.
"What did you do?" Carlisle said with a concerned look.
"He saved Bella Swan from being crushed."
"What's so bad about that?"
"I was across from her by my car. No where near her."
Carlisle was now thinking of a solution.
"Well I see the predicament." Carlisle said as he tried thinking of a solution.
A nurse suddenly came in a told Carlisle that he was needed and handed him a chart. The nurse told him it was for Isabella.
"I'll see you two later." He gives this look that said everything was going to be find.
"Come on, just calm down. Let's look at the bright side."
"What bright side?" Edward said in an irritated look.
"You saved her. You also controlled yourself. That's something to be proud of." I said trying to lighten his mood.
He just looked at me and slumped down in a chair.
"Let's pass the time." I suggested.
"By doing what?" Edward still sounded irritated.
"Talking. Like you can start with your family." I suggested.
"You know Marie, silence is better."
Way to go Marie. He's upset.
We just in silence in what seems to be forever.
I hear Carlisle's footsteps.
I just go outside and see that Rosaline's there.
"Where is he?" Rosaline said clearly pissed.
"Right here." Edward said emerging from the office.
"What were you thinking? You could've exposed us. You still can if she figures it out." Rosaline said in a hushed but angry tone.
I looked up and saw Bella.
"Can I talk to you two for a minute." Bella said addressing Edward and me.
We both walked over to her.
"How did you get over to me so fast?" She said as she addressed both of us.
"I was standing right next to you Bella." Edward said in an innocent tone.
"No you two were next to your car."
"No we weren't." I told her trying to sound innocent.
"I know what I saw."
"What exactly did you see." Edward said almost a threat.
"You got over just as fast and Edward. And you stopped the van. You pushed it away with your hand."
"Well no one's going to believe you, so can't you just say thank you."
"Thanks." Bella said with an awkward tone.
"You're not going to let this go." I told her as I left, Edward following me.
"I'm not." Bella said after us.

Edward and I just continued to walk.
"Edward I would ask if you can drop me off at the reservation, but I know you can't. So I'll just run."
"Alright I need to just think. Don't get yourself kidnapped." He said trying to joke.
"I won't just drop off my stuff at my house please. My top window is open."
"Fine."
I left towards the woods. Once I was deep inside I began to run, since changing into an animal would mean not being able to take my things.
I wasn't far from the reservation so I stopped my run and started a walking pace.
A low growl was coming from behind me. I didn't have enough time to react when the enormous wolf jumped on me. It was snarling and trying to bite me.
"Sam stop!" My magic was laced into my command.
His attack stopped and he just stared at me.
"I'm not your enemy. I'm not like the Cullen's. Sam you need to change back. You need to change. Ground yourself. Find something that tethers you to being human." I told sam and he seemed like he understood.
I saw that he was struggling, but I turned around to not face him.
"Thanks. How did you know how to help and do you have something so I can cover up?"
"Your welcome that's what I'm here for. Also catch." I said and threw my long cardigan that I was wearing at him.
"You can turn around now."
I turned around and the first thing I noticed was that my cardigan was stretching and that the length was perfect in covering him up.
"Well we need to cut your hair. We don't need a long coat on you wolf now do we?" I said as I tried to get him to laugh.
"Yea, but what are you and what did you mean when you said you weren't like the Cullens?"
"Oh that. I'm just a chameleon, but in the newer myths your tribe wrote they called me the great protector. Inhuman with the compassion that no human can exhibit. The one that has many forms."
"I thought that was all a legend." San said in a surprised tone.
"You must have thought the spirit warriors where legend but here you are."
"I'm still shocked."
"I know you are, but let's go to your father's house."
"No we can't. He'll be shocked like me."
"He knows that it's all true. He'll tell you everything." I told him as I motioned him to follow.
We walked to his dad's house.
The door was open when we arrived.
"You go in and change. I'll talk to Joshua." I told Sam as I walked around.
"Joshua is Marie, I've got something important to tell you." I called out.
"Marie what's happened?" Joshua called out from behind me.
Trimming around I faced him.
"Sam needs his haircut." Joshua knew exactly what I meant.
"I see. Thank you for helping him." He said as have me a hopeful look.
"If any incident happens again call me. You can ask Billy for my number." I said as I walked away.
I let the shadows engulf, an act I haven't done in a long time. This darkness was a comfort a safe place for me.
I walked home in the cloak of darkness.

Author's Notes
I'm a so so so so so sorry I've been busy with AP classes and work Im trying to write more whenever I can. I hope you enjoy.