Chapter 3

Cecelia Clark~

After the heated argument that seemed to take place when I was supposed to tutor happened I went and looked for Whitley. She was my ride home and I was simply just ready to go.

Whitley is a cheerleader so naturally I would walk into the gym. when I made my way there I could see terrified facial expressions plastered on her teammates. then it became clear that she was being a captain. they were all standing in a single file line facing toward her."

"we are not going to the finals with those sloppy moves." she yelled through a mega phone that she wrapped her fingers around. " And I'm not going to look stupid because ya'll don't care." She continued.

"practice is done, you are dismissed." she took a sip out of the water bottle she had nearby as teammates grabbed their belongings to exit the gymnasium.   I decided to walk towards and to grab her attention. She immediately took notice of my presence and twisted her water bottle cap back on.

" Oh hey, I was just about to come and get you."  "nah you ain't got to do that." 

"I thought your tutoring session would be longer than that? she asked me as more of a statement than a question. "I thought that too but it wasn't, I mean I wasted my time to come help this guy who did not even want the help." I explained to her. and just thinking about it over and over again got under my skin.

"Who was the guy?"  "I honestly have no idea." I told her  that because I don't even remember his name that's how much I dislike him.

" Dang he must have got on your bad side because you are normally good with names Ce." Whitley said playfully pushing my shoulders. "That's what I am saying though."

"come on girl we going home." Whitley grabbed her jacket  and pulled her keys out her purse as we headed to the senior parking lot to go home.

as I rode home I laid back on the head of my seat as Whitley turned up the radio station that played the song "Lets wait awhile". It was a such a soothing song that I dosed off. After a miniature nap Whitley tapped me to wake me up from my apparent slumber.

"I just gotta go to the store real quick you can come in with me if you want." she offered.  "I'm fine I'll wait for you." I said grinning.  "suit yourself you could meet a cute guy at the grocery store." she shrugged as if I would regret not going in with her.

That is how me and Whitley's friendship work shes the go getter she has the guys wrapped around her little finger versus me who just waits for them to come my way.  But has that worked for me? 'no.'

she went into the Harris teeter market while I sat back and turned up the volume on the radio. Then after she was gone for a bit she came out the store with a couple of bags. She was talking to two guys and seemed to be interested in the conversation. she greeted them and left but not before I heard the brown skin boy say "we'll see you later."

she opened the door over on the driver side and threw her bags to the back while trying to unfold a crinkled paper and  put her seat belt on at the same time.  "need any help?" I asked and chuckled.  "nah." I was curious about the paper she kept briefly skimming over.

"whats that?" I pointed. "its just a invitation to some party ." she said it like it was not important but I knew she really cared because Whitley is a social person.  "from who? you gonna go?"

" I might... if you come with me." 'whoop there it is'

" Whit no ,you know Granddad Lance would kill me." I stressed to her. "On top of that I have to study."

"its a saturday night." she looked at me agitated. "and?" "and it wont hurt to just come to one social gathering.

seeing that she was not going to give up I decided it would not hurt to at least support my best friend.  "we'll see whit,we'll see." I said lastly sighing. I could already see her grinning cooking up a plan in that mischievous head of hers.

******

Donald Degrate Jr.

"This party is gonna be the talk of the year man." My younger brother Dalvin said dapping up Cedric Hailey.

"yea man I'm ready,we gonna have all the hunnys in here."  Cedric turned to look at me as if he was wondering what I thought about it. I have no problem with the party they just better not be expecting me to be smiling in everyone faces.

" you should get that Mary Jane to come Donald." Cedric said rubbing his hands together and licking his lips. Mary Jane was my first girlfriend for like two weeks  we had a on and off fling for a while and she happens to be the daughter of one of my dad's pastor friends. I just snickered and rolled my  eyes because that was not what he wanted.

"I'm good over here Patna." I told him using fake country accent that I thought was hilarious."you said its a school party it's a school party anyways."

"you gonna pass someone as stacked as her  because its a school party? man I can't relate." Cedric finally said.

I shrugged my shoulders because I honestly didn't care. "come on Jo Jo."  Jo Jo snapped his head toward me and followed me. "while ya'll entertaining foolishness I'm chilling with Jo Jo."   They both shaked their heads at me chuckling. Me and Joel headed to my room to chill and listen to records.

I just remembered I was going to have to explain to Mr. Wright why  tutoring is not for me. I sat on my bed located by my window and Joel sat on my chair by my desk that had neglected homework piled up on it.
Joel accidentally knocked down a stack of papers and looked up at me with an apologetic look.
"It's aight dude." I shrugged simultaneously.
"You know this was due like 2 weeks ago." JoJo picked up the paper pointing at the print. Out of his concern for me he wanted to remind me.
" uhh yeah I know but my dad wanted me to play that night." My dad is really all about the music as for me I don't know sometimes, not the part about loving music but do I really care about education? " you should have asked Earnest or Cecelia they had all the answers."

He informed me. " who?" " they are at the top of our class, some real smart cats too." I was still in the dark about whoever he was talking about.
" you still don't know? We gotta get you out the house more." He sucked his teeth. " yeah whatever." I said in response.
" you know Dalvin got Whitley Gilbert to come and I heard that her cute friend is coming along with her." All I knew was that Whitley was probably one of the most popular girls at school and her friend I wasn't so sure if I knew who that was.

" okay JoJo get you some." I joked. JoJo lowkey got more tail than all of us combined he was just not verbal about it. And me I get mine. Just not from these hoes at school.
"Nah you get you some. I bet when they do have the party you gonna be stuck upstairs with them big headphones avoiding everyone."

" sho will. They all annoying,except for them grape girls of course."  I said lightly licking the top row of my teeth.
Grape girls was a term me and the guys gave our Caucasian counterparts. They were the only ones listening to the little duo me and Jo had going on.

" you like em white as snow D." He quietly said shaking his head. " it's not that it's just they easier to get with. I mean why would I try so hard with a sister who don't like me versus a snow bunny who would do anything for me? Think JoJo, think.  And don't  act like you don't like them either."
I lastly said laying my head farther back on to my pillow  and stretching my arms putting my hands behind my head.

" who likes them? I know you ain't talking about me. That Becky chick said I looked like a gorilla a few days ago. I'm not down with that."

JoJo was always passionately telling me about racism whether it was closeted ,subtle or if they were just a blatant racist. In the back of mind there was no doubt that he could of been right but at this point I'm just dealing with the cards I have.

All the black girls at my school are either real ugly or they dress like a grandma and here's another they could be related to me since I live in North Carolina.

" so what's your point?"  " my point is-"  he dragged.
" see ya on the flip side bro, mama Hailey probably has dinner ready."
And soon Joel and Cedric left our house to drive back to Monroe as me and Dalvin chilled.
We basically had to watch over Derek he was like 13 though so I don't understand why. 

But I guess I had to get prepared for people to invade my privacy on Saturday night.