Chapter 27

Omniscient pov

Months had passed by and Cecelia and Donald had become closer than ever before. Mary had finally had the baby and graduation was soon approaching. Cecelia had chosen her school and her parents agreed on her going to hillman university.

A historical black college that her dad had went to. Sooner or later these kids were gonna have to depart from each other into the real world with Donald pursuing the musical career things could change quickly. Also he has changed his name to Devante. Jodeci was getting a lot of notoriety in the N.C. Area they were performing in big night clubs.  Cecelia has settled on music performances being a major. Whitley is going to Hillman too since it was both of her parents alma mater. Whitley has become some what abnormal and not as charismatic she has also been diagnosed with bulimia.

Her and K-ci are dating but that won't help much. He's not aware of what she goes through and how that night at the club has changed her. Now we are fast forwarding around the time of preparation of the graduation. Get ready for the ride.

Donald Degrate Jr. Pov:

" son come back home we are throwing you a big graduation cook out!"
My mom was trying to convince to me come back home and I wasn't budging.
" y'all or you?" I asked. " Jr.  all of us, I know you don't want to come back because of you and your father disagreement but you can come back because we want to celebrate. I'm sure your father can forgive you."Forgive me? He kicked me out on a whim. My mother didn't know all that went down she just sees me as this son who doesn't want to come back home and who's disobedient but that's far from it. She definitely knows about her grandson Justin Degrate born 6 pounds and 2 ounces that's definitely daddy's boy.

He's got my eyes. "Ma I'll come because you want me to." I answered her finally ending her begging." " remember son Jesus loves you." She said ending the call. My mothers prayers can break through the heaven gates to God himself. I am so blessed to have her prayers on my life every one needs prayer. I live with the Hailey brothers and they have become like family. Their mom is so sweet but she does not play. We record a lot in the basement and we have our little concerts or whatever. Not trying to be boastful but we are the ishhh and the world is going to know it too. "K-ci on the next verse I need you to sing after the beat not on it and try not to run too much cause that can put you on a whole different note. K-ci had nodded his head and continued singing.

" I'm a single man I hope that you are single toooo!" I stopped the recording. K-ci had gained a noticeable attitude " what's wrong now man ? Look you wanna come sing these notes?" He sounded frustrated and was now reaching to grab his headphones off his ears. " nah man keep them on. Where JoJo at?" "He in the bathroom. "I got up from my chair and knocked on their bathroom door. " what ?" " aye man I need you to record something right quick." "Aight be out in a jiffy." JoJo said and I shook my head at his use of words.

"JoJo I need you to sing tenor on top of K-ci vocals when he sings the single too part." " gotcha." The song we are working on is come and talk to me. Yeah that's the one I wrote for Cecelia. All of a sudden Dalvin walked in with his drummer set. Then It dawned on me that he needs to finish the song too.

Cecelia pov:
Things have been looking up so far. I'm very excited to graduate. Me and Donald sorry Devante missed the prom well he missed it. He missed it because Mary was in the hospital giving birth so he got Dalvin instead to take me to prom. And it was nice of him to do that but at the end of the day I wanted him to take me. I'm not selfish though babies will come before me and I know and he knows it. " you want a party baby?" My grandmother had asked me. " that won't be necessary grandma." I said smiling. " and why not?" She asked. I was beginning to think she was seeing me as ungrateful. " well because Devante is having a graduation party and his mother invited me it's a big cook out even you can come!" I said trying to convince her. " you mean that ole fast, crazy boy with the big ears who getting girls pregnant ?" She asked with a mean scowl on her facial expression. " he only got Mary Jane pregnant and that's old news." I informed her and I began to frown at the way she described him. Old folks have a way of being ignorant but still think they are right and know everything. " well because I like his mama Mary sweet girl I will let you go." I sighed in relief.

June 11th 1989 Graduation day

I sung the school song solo. I was very nervous but ms. Houston had really helped me giving me pointers on what to do. The room was silent and everyone was in their white cap and gowns looking quite sophisticated.
Even my Donald looked sophisticated he sat up in his chair looking at me intensively. I continued the solo feeling the support from him and various other close ones in my family. When the song ended I bowed and the crowd stood up clapping giving me a standing ovation something I thought I would never receive. I caught Donald standing up from his chair clapping repeatedly and when he catch my eye he winked.That's a signal from him saying that's my girl. It was proud moment for me. Each student went across the stage receiving their diplomas and they told all the parents to hold the applause. Do you think the black parents listened? Nope.
After the ceremony was done all the now graduated students left with their parents to celebrate a life that was just beginning. I walked down from the stage carefully because I was wearing heels. Donald was waiting for me with an open arm to escort me out the building. " when you gonna cut that record babe?" He asked me smiling and laughing. " oh Stop. That's not for me." I joked. Sure I loved music but I just didn't see it as a promising career for myself. Seeing how messy the music industry is and how big colorism is it was a nope for me. " mhm-. He said grinning in response. He was about to lean in to kiss me just when Derek interrupted. Donald rolled his eyes slowly. " stop." I whispered and hitting him involuntary. He loosened up and displayed a goofy smile. Derek had cleared his throat to catch our attention. " yes?" I asked smiling. " picture?" He suggested. I began posing with Donald. One photo with us holding our diplomas one of us kissing and another of me kissing his cheek. He gave me a noogie on my head and we walked out the building with our families.

Update// next is the cook out scene