Chapter 4

Cecelia Clark~
It was Friday afternoon and I was glad to say the school week was over. Whitley was invited to a party and she wanted me to come I hated the idea when It came but now it's sort of growing on me.
I can't remember the last time I ever had a good time with my peers with out being pressured or without it having anything related to school.

It's great to get invited to one but you see it's like pulling teeth to get permission from grandparents mainly Granddad Lance.

"She isn't going and that's it Shirleen." My grandfather grudgingly said. He made it clear on his final decision on letting me go to a party.

I told whit it wouldn't work and I know I should grow a little back bone and go anyway but I help but respect my grandfathers wishes. He's never led me astray.

"Let that girl go! She ain't hurting nobody by going." My grandmother argued back.
"There his too many boys out there and we don't know who's house she going to."

My grandmother looked towards me pleading for the information so that I could have a chance of going. "Cecelia didn't you say it's at the Degrate family house?"

"it is but what does that have t-"
"See lance you are being irrational it's just a nice get together and Don is one of your old pals. His boys are good boys."

"Boys, see no I don't trust that I don't care if they're the pastor themselves."
Grandad lance shrugged his shoulders as my grandmother Became even more agitated than before.

" I think you're being hypocritical Lance remember how we met? If I recall it was at a party as a matter fact it was the juke joint over at Millies corner." She told him as if she suddenly got an bright idea.

My grandfather grunted and sighed as if he was stuck and couldn't get out of the situation. There was a lot of truth to what Grandma said though. A lot of adults keep their children from doing things simply because they did it and they see a reflection of themselves through their children.

"Now I know this is hard for you but you have to be fair our little Cecelia is growing up. She's very responsible you have nothing to worry bout." She assured him and then rubbed his back in circles. 

Sometimes it's hard being a old soul everyone likes that you're the levelheaded gal. Everyone likes that you agree with morals and can sometimes be traditional. But the minute you want to break the mold and be a teenager all hell breaks loose.

After consulting my grandfather for a while he finally said that I could I go but with an exception of me back home at 11:00 pm because something about church in the morning.

Other than that I'm nervous and I don't know the first thing about dressing for a party. 'Do I dress skimpy? Conservative?'

*****
Saturday afternoon Whitley and I went shopping and a little celebrating. We were celebrating the fact that I could actually go to a party.

"So do I wear a dress or something or should I keep it casual?" I asked whit.

" you wanna wear a dress, but let it be a little short your not going to a formal girl. We're not there to impress anyone- well never mind we are."  She through her head back chuckling

" I'm confused should I or should I not?" Whitley rolled her eyes and laughed.  "Come on troubled child."
Whitley picked up a few items from the rack and took me to the dressing room.

I tried on at least 3 dresses but I just didn't like them and they didn't really feel like me. But there was one dress that caught my attention it was pink and vivacious.
" I want that one." I pointed at the dress whit had grabbed.
"Well why didn't you say so?" She asked excitedly. I then tried the dress on and I have to say I felt like a model out of vogue magazine.