Chapter 7

Cecelia Clark~
Today in Mr. Wright class our discussion was a heavy topic. It was about racial violence, when we talk about stuff like this it makes the white students feel uncomfortable but I could care less. To me the more it's discussed the more we can actually deal with it.

"Moving on from the Chicago riots at the beach let's talk about a more modern day riot. Who can give me a great example of racial violence that happened not to long ago?" Mr. Wright asked. He looked around the room to pick a student. And when no one would answer his eyes immediately zoomed into me.

"Ms. Clark?"  Dang. Well at least I'm passionate about this subject.
"Well one would be the Miami riot that happened back in 1980."  "Right,right... that happened 8 years ago so some of you can remember it you were either 9 or 10." He explained as some class members agreed and some didn't have the slightest of idea of what we were speaking of.

"What happened in the Miami riot? Cecelia,if you don't mind informing the rest of the class."
"Okay so uhh- in the winter of 1979 a black man Mcduffie who was a salesman died from injuries, those injuries that he had came from 4 policeman who were chasing him on a high speed chas-  "What does that have to do with 1980 though?" A white boy named Tommy interrupted me and his group of friends snickered right along with him.
Mr. Wright chuckled in a tone that would make the hairs crawl on your neck.
"Thomas did you raise your hand?" He asked Tommy then tommy smirked and raised his hand. His friends encouraged him to.

"Since you didn't raise your hand to speak you should put it down

"Since you didn't raise your hand to speak you should put it down. If you don't think what she is saying is important enough to respect it then we shouldn't have to respect yours son should we?"
"Uhh no sir." Tommy was flabbergasted that Mr. Wright would use his authority to keep him in check.
After I explained what happened during the Miami riot that lasted until may of 1980 some people were still confused. That some being the white students in class.

" I don't see why we have to get worked up about a dude in a car chase. He shouldn't have been speeding in the first place." One of Tommy friends named Dylan gave his opinion it was wrong but it was his opinion. Those group of white guys were from the nice part of the suburbs. You know the type that wore polo collared shirts and sperrys. They tied cashmere cardigans around their neck. Probably undercover racist.

" I think you're looking at it from the wrong point of view Dylan

" I think you're looking at it from the wrong point of view Dylan." I decided that I wasn't going to let them continue to spit ignorance.
"You should look at it from the victims point of view which often seems to be African American males. I don't think y'all see how we feel, there are officers out there that prey on us as if we are already criminals."

"Thank you Ms. Clark, and that kids is racial profiling. The assignment I'm giving you is an important one. I need everyone to come up with what you think should be a solution." Everyone rolled their eyes and sighed. Mr. Wright caught on to it. As he turned around with his eyes widening like someone's mother about to give you a whooping.
"Or I could give you an assignment to write a 8 page essay on why racial violence should stop." He suggested. The other kids shook their head fast.

"That's what I thought." He said grinning.
The bell rung and all the students pushed their chairs into the desk while slinging their book bags.
I probably wasn't paying attention but then I felt someone popping up on me.

"Hey Cece." "Hi Dylan." I answered him in a bland tone.
"You real smart and you had a lot of mouth today in class. I wonder what that mouth do besides yapping our ears off about that racial profiling mess."
He flicked my chin but then I gnashed my teeth. I felt like I was a prey.
"Ooo feisty I see. Why don't you come try some of this vanilla." He joked while the other guys egged him on.

"Stop touching me." "Why? Cause I'm not black? I got black friends." What he said made no kind of since I just wanted him to stop invading my privacy and I'm sure he doesn't have any real black friends.

" I don't care Dylan just stop." I chuckled not cause I liked it but there was gonna be some injuries if he didn't listen.
"That's alright cause got you later." He winked. I felt like gagging at this point.
"Dylan she said leave her alone so just chill.."
I heard a voice that I had gotten acquainted with for the past few weeks.

"Oh Donald, what's happening dude?" Dylan said shaking his hand. Donald soon scurried his posse away from me to walk in another direction.
I finally started walking to my next class but then I turned back around seeing Donald making eye contact with me trying to approach me.
"What do you want?" I rolled my eyes.
"I just wanted to ask if you wer- you know what forget that! I'm looking out for you and gonna give me a stank attitude." He said sucking his teeth then shaking his head walking to the opposite direction of where I was headed.

I swear he has one of the most unmatched tempers on this side of the earth. I don't know who puts up with him.

It was just my luck to catch him during lunch sitting at a table with a white girl on his lap.

"Snow bunnies for everyone!" One of the guys I tutored named Cedric yelled.
I rolled my eyes at all of them they couldn't do anything with their free time but display ignorance but hey to each it's own.

"Hey C!" "Oh hey Whit!" I haven't seen my best friend all week it was pretty busy for her since she had the cheer finals. We hugged each other and found a table to sit down at.

"So..." "so..." I repeated at her looking with wide brim eyes.

" we won the finals, eek" she beamed proudly with a smile. "I knew you could do it! Congrats girl." I pushed her in a playful friendly matter as the one and only Cedric tapped Whitley's shoulder.

" what do you want? I ain't no snow bunny so this the wrong place." She said with her hands on her hips.
"We need to talk." He said calmly. He then grabbed her hands and she followed him to the place he lead her.
I don't know what's going on with them because I thought Dalvin and Whitley had a thing for each other but then again he's known for having a thing for everyone including they mama. This allured my interest the more I thought about it.

Sometimes I wish I really had my own love life but things never seem to actually go my way. I sat alone for awhile and then got up to go be in the band room alone but I didn't know I wouldn't be alone.

Donald Degrate Jr.~
Dear NCHS, it's been a pleasure being a student here. I can't lie and say I've had my best and worst days here but it's time for me to go. I have nothing left here in this world my grades are trash life after graduation won't be easy but that doesn't matter I won't make it to Graduation. Please tell my mother I love her and my father that he's my heroe. Tell Dalvin to kill it at his basketball game tonight. Ms. Houston thank you for everything I hope that you get the man of your dreams. I hope you get a better job then teaching us crappy students. Mr.Wright sorry for not being there to bring my grade up. Joel love isn't for me...just thought I should tell you that Incase you set up a double date. Derek stay strong little brother don't let Dalvin tell you what to do. As I sit here to write this letter memories run in my mind. I wouldn't dare do this at my home. I'm doing it here. I'm even sorry to the person who will find me here.

Love , Donald
Tears fell from my eyes as I wrote my suicide note. I wanted to make sure I didn't leave anyone out. I know my parents wouldn't understand how I feel. They say that I should be happy that I have a roof over my head food to eat and a family. Well I hate to be so selfish but there really is nothing left for me. I decided to play me one last song on the piano before I departed from this world.