|Three|

A/N; triggers and upsetting scenes in this chapter.

An uneasy feeling had burrowed its way into the pit of my stomach by the time I had arisen from my comfy bed this morning, puffy red eyes having to be tamed with a good scrub in the shower and a little foundation, accompanied with eye liner and mascara hidden under my black, square framed, glasses. 

Even walking into work- after having being called in to cover for a sick nurse- with my cosy flats tapping against the shiny floor and my black trouser legs brushing over the top of my exposed feet didn't have my nerves settling. I was jumping at every greeting and sudden movement more than I usually did; but still trying to offer my co workers my usual, shy and nervous, smile. Shuffling into the staff room with my bag and anorak clutched tightly to my chest and light green shirt, I lean against my cool, grey, locker and try to take a calming breath.

Not everyone is like him, but some days are worse than others where my mind plays tricks on me.

"You okay Zoe?" I hear the gentle voice of Elizabeth, another member of our small medical team who's a few years older than me- she looks out for me. Turning to face her I give her a weak nod and shy smile. Crossing the small room in three strides, she brings me into a comforting hug- her eyes asking for permission and showing... sympathy?  I soon shrug from the hug and give her a grateful smile.

"Don't worry," she smiles, "I used to be like you. Now look at me!" she motions to her plump 5'8 stature with brown hair that pulled back in a clip out of her face to reveal the beginnings of laughter lines . Rubbing my shoulder she then grabs an apple for her break, her shift having started at 6am and mine a few minuets ago at 9, "Go check on Toby, we're all impressed with your stitches," she compliments as she flutters out of the room.

Taking another deep breath, and re-tying my highlighted hair into a tight ponytail, I begin my morning rounds around the small ward we have. Some people having taken ill over night and will be taken to main land later today or some well enough to be discharged after a night of monitoring. With such a large body count that enter Jurassic World and with some people staying in the hotel, medical assistance is required round the clock. From broken bones to heart attacks we run as  a mini hospital for the island, it's a "necessary expense" as Clair had put it when she hired me, as if my job affected hers in such a dramatic way.

Pushing my shoulders back and grabbing my files I enter the first room, Toby. He's currently sitting up in the white bed and eating his breakfast looking a lot healthier than yesterday.

"Morning," I say as I give him a small smile as he waves at me through a mouthful of cornflakes. I wait for him to finish before I quietly check his stitches, perfectly fine, and wish him a good day as I scurry out of the room with a comment from his saying Owen was going to collect him at lunch time.
I never used to be this shy but, life happens, and my confidence was completely de-railed so now I find it hard to hold a simple conversation without getting anxious. And I'm worse around Owen. He intimidates me, yet comforts me and relaxes my ever tense muscles slightly.

Blinking away the thoughts I shuffle from room to room. Checking heart rates and blood pressures whilst taking any requests for some sort of entertainment to keep the boredom away until discharge at noon. A quiet but busy day.

Lunchtime soon rolls around and before I discharge most of the patients, I need to collect more files and equipment from down the hallway. The empty, bright white, corridors making my eyes squint against the sunlight that blares through the floor to ceiling windows on the left and bounces the light into my eyes through my glasses. 

I can hear two pairs of heavy footfalls as I walk. One set behind and another in front of me so I walk to the side closest to all the doorways so I'm out the way.