|Twenty Nine|

June:

"Come on kid, outside."

"No! Cars!"

"Come on, Daniel"

"Cars! Cars! Cars! Cars! Cars!"

"We ain't watching that film again, squirt!"

"Cars!"

The argument between Daniel and Owen had been ongoing for over half and hour; as it always did, everyday. It's only nine AM and the small boy had already began demanding to watch the film. Owen wasn't having any of it today. Only because he'd been to work for a few hours already and was allowed home for an hour for a break- leaving me to face the screaming Daniel for the rest of my day off. 

"Owen," I hiss, exiting the bathroom with a splitting headache. Rubbing my tired and dry eyes under my glasses as I move to put Daniels breakfast dishes in the sink to wash later: "Just put the film on. Helen is coming over in a little while and she'll distract him later,"

"But that's giving him what he wants! He needs to learn no." Owen sighs as he pulls a grumbling Daniel outside to distract him with something out there: "You're toast is on the bench," he calls over his broad shoulder. 

Wandering over to the plate of toast, I stare at it for a prolonged moment before tears begin prickling at my eyes. A sudden tsunami of emotions crashing through my body as I stare at the buttered slices of toasted bread. A lump forming in my throat as I take a deep breath to try and somewhat calm myself. 

"Mummy?" I hear a confused Daniel ask as he appears in the doorway, Solo bounding past him and into the kitchen to sit at my feet- coming over to comfort me. Daniel having ran inside as soon as his father had placed him down outside.

"Dan, go play in your room for a sec will ya?" Owen calmly asks his son, who is almost he spitting double of himself. 

Daniel, understanding that something is wrong, moves off quickly to his room and shuts his bedroom door quietly; probably going to entertain himself with hunting for the 'cars' DVD in there. 

"Princess, what's wrong?" As if approaching a wild animal, Owen begins moving towards my frozen body. His eyes wide as his mind begins firing it's neurons at unthinkable speeds; thinking of all the possible reasons for my strange behaviour: "Come on now, Zoe. You scaring me here." 

"You remembered to spread it to the edges," I whisper before bursting into floods of tears; cupping my face into my hands as I sob.

Pausing at my peculiar comment, Owen begins to nervously chuckle as he stops before me. His head slightly lowered as he tries to read my face, red from the crying, and his arms extending to towards me so he can pull my vulnerable body into him gently. 

Growling from Solo as he stands to move between us, stops Owen for a second before I'm flinging myself into his arms- Solo ignoring this as I moved towards Owen. 

Chuckling and holding me close, Owen kisses the top of my head as I bawl into his shirt whilst he rubs my shoulders in a comforting manner.

"You know, the last time you got this emotional over toast, and had moments where you screamed like a banshee. You were expecting Daniel." My crying stops suddenly for a second as I absorb his words. 

Could I be? Am I?

No!

Suddenly, I push Owen away as harshly as I can, and he lets me so I don't feel trapped in his arms. Solo jumping between us and growling lowly at Owen as he holds up his hands in defence.