|Twenty Three|

When the next cruise ship arrived to take everyone back to the main land, I was ushered aboard the grand boat and taken to the closest hospital. 

The hustle and bustle of being wheeled around in a wheel chair through the long corridors and into ward full of women already sat on their beds with partners and new borns. 

Owen wandered in not far behind me, our own baby tucked neatly in his arms. 

All of this seemingly so surreal. 

We were starting our own family. Together we are stronger than anything. This baby, our baby, is the entirety of our love and he will always mean the world to both of us. 

Slowly easing myself from the squeaking wheel chair, I push myself up onto the bed gently into a more comfortable position. Owen perching beside my legs on the bed as he readjusts Daniel in his arms so that I can lean forward slightly to stroke his head of hair. 

"He's so small," I whisper as Daniel yawns, showing his pink gums to us both. 

Chuckling, Owen allows the tiny baby to grab onto his finger as he rocks him, "Who cares? He's here now and that's all I care about, Princess." 

I give a small nod in agreement.

The doctors make their way into the room to do final examinations of myself and baby Daniel. It unnerved me slightly when the took our baby away for a few minuets. But once the small bundle was back in my arms, I couldn't stop the silent tears from cascading down my face.

"It's okay," Owen cooed as he wiped my cheek with his thumb. His warm hand cupping my jaw as he gazes into my eyes with his own, brimming with tears, "He is going to be fine. And so are you. We're both gonna be amazing parents that all the other kids will be jealous of. So don't you go getting all soppy on me now, Zoe," he smiles. Placing a delicate kiss on my lips before giving our son a small peck on his head of hair. 

"I know," I sigh as I stare down at the sleeping baby in my tired arms, "He's going to have the best life imaginable," 

"Hell yeah he is. He's gonna be living on an island full of dinosaurs, you know, the things that are meant to be extinct, kind of dinosaurs.  He will be the coolest kid in school. I mean, with a dad like me, he's gonna be a hit with the ladies too," Owen brags on and on about how his son is going to be so amazing.

The way his eyes never leave the small, button, nose Daniel keeps scrunching up as he sleeps. Or the way Owen seems to be shifting in his seat on the bed so excitedly, I'm worried he may fall off in a moment as he prattles on. 

The small chuckle and smile that graces my lips has Owen stopping for a moment to smile at me. To forget about the world around us and for a precious few moments, it's just us a small family. 

****

"Oh my word! Let me see him!" I hear Helen shriek as she jumps from her car and runs heavily up to the trailer that Owen and I call home. A few days ago I was discharged from the hospital and we got on the next ship home. Since then, the trailer has been a flurry of visitors- much to my dismay as it meant that it was a lot of attention thrown our way. My family from England had jumped on the next plane over to see the new addition to the family. 

I think Helen is a little too excited to see baby Daniel. She practically left Adam and his wife, Megan, in dust as she ran over here. 

Solo, the fully grown Great-Dane, jumps from the sofa and rushes to the door to bark at the intruders. Jumping up and attempting to barge his way past Owen to do his duty as the protector of the house.   Owen having to order him to calm down. The large dog still intrigued by who could possibly be at the door now. 

"Helen,"Owen smiles as he purposefully blocks the front door with his large frame, stopping the woman in her stride.  

"Move out of the way, sperm donor. I want to see my grand baby!" She tries to shove past him jokingly but Owen stops her by placing his large hands on her shoulders. 

"Sperm donor? Ouch. That baby is beautiful and you have me to thank for that." He gasps at her accusations. 

"Just get out of my way, I'm not here to see you!" She grumbles as Owen raises an eyebrow at her. Purposefully winding up Elizabeth. 

"Okay, okay!" she chuckles as she gives Owen a large hug, "That was mean but do I look like I give a crap? No. So get your perfect ass out of my way!" She eventually pushes past a shocked Owen, and rushes into the tiny trailer. 

"Mum! Calm down, the baby might be asleep," I wish Adam was right. Daniel was currently showing off the huge pair of lungs he had as he screams in my ear. I'm pretty sure everyone on the island can hear him. 

"Oh! He's so tiny!" I hear a high pitched squeal from Helen as she stops just past the doorway where Owen is now greeting Adam and Megan. Dashing over from the other side of the lounge area, Helen is instantly in front of me beaming like the cat that got the cream. 

"Can I?" She asks as she reaches out with her shaking hands. I give her an almost relieved nod of acceptance as I hand the little monster over to her. 

"Oh, my little baby. What's the matter, ey?" Helen instantly begins cooing Daniel as she takes him in her arms and attempts to burp him. Something I was previously trying to do. 

Giving a large sigh of relief, I slouch down onto the worn sofa behind me and resist the pull of sleep. My eye lids fluttering shut after a few failed seconds of keeping them open.

"Hey, Zoe," I hear Adam gently say from beside me as the sofa dips where he sits. Solo instantly running over and placing his slobbering head into Adam's lap for a head scratch. His tail wagging furiously as he gets some attention paid to him. 

"Hey, bud," I peel open my eyes to look at the fresh face of my brother. Both of us pulling into a hug where he once again congratulates us on baby Daniel. Something the past few days have been full of. 

I look up when I hear Daniel eventually quieten down. 

He's snuggled into the blue baby grow I had put him in earlier and Helen has his rocking gently in her arms as she gently coos to him. Talking to him in babble I don't really understand, but it seems to be working. 

"What? How do you do that? We've been trying for hours," Owen gasps as he wanders over in front of Helen to take a look at the almost sleeping baby. 

"Magic touch of a grandparent, my dear," she reaches up with a hand, holding Daniel against her chest with her other arm, as she nips at Owens cheeks. He gently bats her away at her antics. 

"I've got tea," Megan announces quietly as she makes her way into the crammed trailer with a huge box in her arms. 

"I love you!" I gasp as I shoot up from my seat with new found energy and snatch the box from the woman's arms. Rushing past Helen into the kitchen, grabbing a pair of scissors and have the box cut open with it's contents spilt all over the benches in a few seconds. 

"She hardly says that to me and now she's shouting it at you! What about me Zoe?" Owen frowns childishly.   I just ignore him.

"Heaven," I smile to myself as I look over the many cardboard boxes before filling up the kettle and holding up a box towards my laughing family, "Anyone for a decent cuppa?"