|Nine|

When the roaring engine beneath us had been cut, I  gasped at the sight before us. 

The beach.

The full moon glistening against the calm waves that roll up the soft sand towards where we stood, Owen appearing behind me after I had shakily dismounted the bike and guiding me toward the sand to take a gentle seat so we can watch the night reveal it's twinkling stars. Unintentionally I rub the small tattoo of a star constellation that sits on my right wrist.

"When's you're birthday?" I ask quietly as I gaze up at the stars, finding the constellations easily.

"June 21st," he rests his forearms on his knees as we sit in the still warm sand from the heat of the day and looks at me instead of the beautiful sight before us, "You?"

"19th November" I smile as I shrug off my black jacket and then point up at the glistening stars with my right arm, my shirt only elbow length, "I'm Scorpio" I can't help the small smile that graces my face as I trace the familiar pattern of the stars in the sky with my fingertip.

"Explains the tattoo," he nods as he looks up at the sky too.

"Cancer right?" I say as I take a quick peep at him basking in the moonlight. His high cheek bones prominent in the moons illumination of our tranquil surroundings,

"Think so, never really thought about it."He shrugs as I watch his eyes gleam in the sliver light.

Smiling, I turn back to the stars and trace the line of his constellation, "That one" but I can tell he's just looking at a bunch of lights in the sky- or pretending to. Sneakily he moves so that our bodies are almost touching, our arms brushing against each other as he whispers in my ear, 

"Which one princess?" I try to tame my blush as I point it out again before watching his puzzled face. Without thinking I grab his warm hand in my tiny one and trace his finger among the diamonds in the sky to show him. The heat from his body warming mine as a cool breeze glides over my pale skin.

"There..." I whisper as I look at him and ours eyes seem to become lost in each other. I hadn't realized just how close he was until now. How his large frame leans into me as I lean slightly towards him. We don't say anything as we drink in each other. Looking at the laugh lines and the tiny freckles scattered across his face. I hold my breath as he reaches gently up to brush his large hand through my hair that falls past my shoulders in a waterfall of browns and blondes that look more silver in the moonlight.

 "You look beautiful with you're hair down," he whispers as he tucks some behind my ear. A blush warming my cheeks as I look away at the sand and lean into his calloused hand so it caressed my cheek and jaw until he gently lifts the hand so I have to look at him. I swallow nervously and wet my lips with my tongue.

 His Adam's apple bobs slightly.

Slowly he leans towards me, watching me as he does so as not to scare me and stops just centimetres away from my awaiting lips- waiting for me to choose. My breathing almost stops as his breath fanned my face and set my heart beating a speed I've never felt it go before and crashing against the cadge of my ribs.

"Now about that kiss..." he whispered.

Moving, before I can think about it too much, I close the distance between our lips and brush mine against his. My heart seems to skip a beat before he leans closer and claims my lips with his own.

It's not harsh or rough, instead the kiss is sweet and slow. Showing me just how much I affect him as he affects me. My hands find their way into his untamed locks of bronzed hair as I pull him closer and kiss him slightly harder. His own, gentle, hand finds its way to the nape of my neck as he gently nibbles on my swollen lip. Asking- not forcing.

Eagerly, I grant him access and his tongue dives into my mouth and I  explore his own greedily. The faint taste of mint lingering as we forget about the world around us as he gently pushes me back and lowers me smoothly into the warm sand as he holds himself above me.

I feel safe and content with Owen. He gives me choices and doesn't push where I don't want to go. He's funny and kind and I'm astounded as to how oblivious I've previously been about this man. I've just been so scared to see it.

 So petrified because of my past- and some recent events that he supported me through. He's been an anchor for me these past few months out here, in the wild of Isla Nebula, where the few members of family I have were thousands of miles away without the tiniest bit of knowledge as to what I'm doing out here. Just that I'm nurse on a sunny island. 

But he stayed by my side.  My lighthouse amongst the stormy sea. 

I surprise myself at the realisation of this! 

How a man can be just so perfect is beyond me. 

Braking apart for air, Owen plants a small peck on my nose before his bright eyes scan my face to make sure I'm okay. A small, embarrassed, smile beams on my face as he now smiles down at me as the ocean smoothly glides up the sand towards us, our bodies lying just out of it's reach.

"I'm gonna let you slap me more often if this is my apology," he smirks down at me.