|Twenty|

Another few short years have past; nine since Owen and I official met back in that hospital room where he strutted in as if he owned the place and determined as ever to get the quiet girl. 

Now look at us. 

Myself, sitting on the porch of our beloved home as the fresh morning breeze ripples through my brown locks whilst I stroke Solo's large head- the four year old Dane having become very attached and protective over me, much to Owens delight, and dismay. His full height above my waist making him almost the size of a small pony when he stretches out; not leaving much space on the bed when he joins us every evening. 

"Toast, for the lovely lady," Owen smiles as he emerges from the small home with a plate of warm toast, handing it to me and giving  a warning glare to Solo who begins grumbling protectively with his head resting on my lap. 

"Not today, buddy," Owen grumbles as he gently pushes the large dog from the swing seat beside me and takes his place- staring out at the expanse of greenery and the large volume of water right on our doorstep. The tranquillity of the beautiful island mesmerising. 

Staring down at the toast on the white plate in my hand I suddenly begin welling up with tears- Owen noticing at the same time Solo does, who tries to snuggle his slobbering face into my stomach, whilst Owen takes me gently into his arms. 

"The butter's not spread to the edges," I sob, having no control over my fluctuating emotions as I turn into Owens chest as he sighs humorously, whilst gently rubbing my back. 

"It's not funny!" I cry into him as I feel Solo take the toast from the plate, snaffling it down before he began pawing at me and rising up on the seat to snuggle at my face with his wet nose as I cry into Owen. 

"It is princess," Owen tries not to chuckle as he takes the empty plate from my hand before drawing me closer, "I can easily get you some more," he smiles as he places his large hands on my should and gets me to sit up a little so that I can look straight into his captivating eyes. His forehead pressed against mine as he kisses my nose sweetly, wiping my tear stained cheeks with his thumb. 

Sniffling a little, I try to take a deep breath and calm myself down over the silly matter. I begin giggling through my tears as I pull back from Owens hold to wipe my cheeks with my own hand,

"There's my beautiful girl," he smiles, "it's just hormones don't worry," he says as he places a hand on my very swollen stomach. Eight months swollen stomach. 

I struggle to take a breath through my giggles but I manage to get out my sentence, "I feel so stupid," 

Chuckling deeply along with me, Owen kisses my nose and cheeks before finally my pouting lips as he gets up to get some more toast, "I've lasted this long with you're nonsense, I think I can manage a little while longer," he jokes as he disappears inside. 

Sighing at how silly I am, I look up at Solo who's climbed back up on the seat so that he is a little taller than me when he sits upright, his tail and a hind leg hanging off the side of the swing seat. 

"Who's a silly Zoe?" I smile in a high pitched tone; pulling the dark grey, possibly blue, furred beast into my chest for a hug, "Mummy loves you lots," I pout as I snuggle my head into his muscled neck.

Solo's large form strong and powerful after all the training from Owen, so that if necessary the protective dog could defend me but also be obedient enough to back off if ever Owen or myself commanded it. Owen likes to think Solo is his dog after all the hours spent together at the raptor paddock when I'm at work, but he's a mummy's boy. Always will be.

I do however, miss the long, hard, morning runs as the sun rises with Owen. Solo bounding ahead of us as we dash along paths and trails around the island. The freedom to race around without any back pain or planet of a bump restricting my strides is a privilege I never knew I'd miss. These past few months have been long and tiring but also some of the most enjoyable with Owen becoming protective over myself and our unborn baby and becoming almost like a mother hen. 

I close my eyes as I begin scratching Solo's head that rests heavily on my knee when I hear the high pitch screech of my pager shouting at me from inside the small bungalow. I sigh heavily as I hear Owen groan loudly from the kitchen. 

"One day, I'm going to throw that thing out!" He rants as he brings the pager outside for me. Today I was on call and it seems the new rookie was struggling by himself. 

"Steve still doesn't know what he's doing. I won't be long," I smile as I push up from the swing seat and waddle past a grumpy husband who's standing beside the door frame to the bedroom. 

It doesn't take me long to pull on a navy blue t-shirt and loose trousers before I'm calling for Owen to tie up the laces on my trainers. Whilst he fastens my laces, I nibble on some fresh toast. From his kneeling position on the floor, when he's finished he places his hands on either side of my bump and kisses it sweetly. Standing gracefully, he holds out a hand for me to take so he can help me up from the sitting position on the bed, his other hand supporting my lower back as I swing myself up with a huff. 

"Hurry back to me," he smiles and when I've grabbed the jeeps keys.

"I'll be two hour, tops," I kiss him goodbye and waddle to the car before going to help the young Steve who's on first response this busy morning- his job to sit in the buggy and be the medic on wheels to help those who either can't make to the mini hospital or just need a something minor. 

This shouldn't be too bad.