|Twenty Eight|

"Oh, birthday girl!" I hear Owen call like a teenager as he enters our small home later that evening. The door closing softly behind him as he strides into the kitchen with a smug look on his face as he engulfs my petite form in a warm hug. Resting my head on his broad chest, I melt into his warm embrace as he kisses my head of hair. The unmistakable smell of the humid evening clinging to his clothes as he holds me close.

"I swear you become even more beautiful every time I look at you," he smiles, lifting my head gently with his hands so I can gaze into the emerald orbs as he tries to brainwash me with complements:  "And younger every second,"

Placing my plump lips on his awaiting ones, I give him a questioning glance once we break apart.

"Stop it, I know you're tricks Mr," I smile before slowly breaking away from his hold and walk with him, gathered under his arm into his side, to Daniels room. Both of us stopping in the door way to watch our sleeping baby.

Tucked away in his 'Cars' bed set with mountains of stuffed dinosaur toys surrounding him as he dreams away; Solo squished on the small bed too with his head on the pillow beside the boy, his small hands clinging onto the dog.

"Look at how cute mini-me is," Owen chuckles as he leaves my side to go sit on his sons' bed and stroke his hand through his short doe, brown hair. Daniel momentarily opens his eyes to smile at his father before turning over to snuggle closer into Solo, who raises his head and tucks it above his smaller-humans head so that the small boy if almost cocooned by his humongous form.

"Been a busy day for him, just let him sleep Owen," I whisper from the door way, peeling my eyes from the beautiful moment and moving off into the kitchen where I boil the kettle for a fresh cup of tea. My last cup abandoned and stone cold, resting on the kitchen table where I had left it to put Daniel to bed... over two hours ago.

Taking a deep breath and pouring the scalding water over the tea bag, I watch as the tea diffuses into the liquid- almost lost in trance at the dancing swirls of milk as I add it. Tiredly, I make my way over to the sofa, picking up the worn book I had been reading at the beach earlier today and settle down with my whole body lazily lounging across the well-worn furnishing.

It's a few minutes later by the time Owen emerges from the bedroom; freshly showered and smelling much cleaner. As he wanders over, he grabs a bottle of pop and moves towards the sofa. I sit up slightly to allow his large frame to sit behind me, my back resting against the side of his chest as he relaxes with a loud sigh. His hand tangling in my hair as he begins to slowly runs his hand through it, deep in thought as my highlighted locks slither between his fingertips as if he were running his hand through a stream.

"Sorry I'm back so late," He kisses the top of my head as I relax further into him; I offered a small smile in return.

I'm aware that my hours at work can be pretty crazy, and so can his. Early rises and sometimes late finishes, depending on however successful the day is, or if one of his girls needs him- he'll be there no matter the time of day.

"Hoskins was chasing after my ass again," he grumbles, taking a prolonged drink as he mulls over the vile man's actions today. Neither of us liking the stuck-up security contractor that waddles around like he owned the place. How he viewed his position above and beyond everyone surrounding him- even if he did outrank a few- but there is never any need to act in such a vile manner all the time.

"He isn't happy- hell, when is that man ever happy- that the girls are progressing too slowly with some of trials we were running this afternoon. Give em' a few months and those girls will blow everyone away. But he wants everything done last week and I can't be arsed with that." Owen rants. Myself having put my book down and swapped it for my tea to listen to him as he rambles.